What happened to the Nordic Skiing Newsgroup?

Old October 29th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Big Hitter

Default What happened to the Nordic Skiing Newsgroup?

Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...
Old October 29th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Lack of new products and real breakthrough.
Not Lance Armstrong equivalent...

Innovation seems to be limited to put carbon everywhere and allow re-waxed skis during world cup long skating races. (which proves 2 things : waxing works and waxing works a short period of time).

Until we'll feel that carbon is perhaps not the best material to have proper flex. Too stiff. And are tired of braking poles.

Meanwhile there are truly new products (liquid wax such as Primateria's (what's up with that ?) or Holemnkol nano products).
Steel scraping could have been a hot topic if people would have dared to test it. But all this new tools tend to be very expensive. Most people don't want to put that much money in waxing/preping. People who could are thinking that steel scraping and liquid waxing is against the law and will lead them in hell, or at least will send their skis in hell.

At world Cup level they keep quiet on what is making them winning.

So I guess people are just bying a new pair of skis here and then. Most often they'll buy some new poles because carbon pole have a ridiculous tendency to break.(avoid the Swix Triac, they are a joke).

Some of people are hot waxing/scrapping/brushing as a way of living. They'll do even during summer, just in case.

Not much to discuss
The spam-free http://www.xcskiforum.com/ hasn't more hot topics.
Old October 29th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 10/29/2012 12:39 PM, Big Hitter wrote:
Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

Couldn't say where the skiers have gone. Most of the cycling activity
has moved to facebook, since you have some tools there to limit
disruptive activity. Also, it's becoming more unusual to have newsgroups
included with your internet service.

If you do any cyclocross this fall let me know. Us fat old guys need
to stick together so no one has to go off the back by themselves.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 31st 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

On 10/29/2012 1:39 PM, Big Hitter wrote:
Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

Snow is coming and all will be well!

Old October 31st 12, 01:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
Big Hitter wrote:

Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know
there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it.
I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to
everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got
some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

For a few years, a lot of comments were generated by a couple of
argumentative types and many were driven away by that distortion of the
group. Then there was a web forum that formed (followed not long
after by the death of its founder). And there's fasterskier, which has
picked up a lot more interest since Topher and his partner took over.
Still, several of us are still around.

Talking about weight, after a month as part of an overfed tour group in
China I was up to the same range as you. Now, a long weekend
trip to LA being treated to dinner every night has added another two to
three kilos. Got a lot of work to do. Good thing x-c skiing and cold
burn calories.

Gene
Old October 31st 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson[_2_]

On Monday, October 29, 2012 1:39:21 PM UTC-4, Big Hitter wrote:
Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

There are probably many factors why the group isn't as active. Last winter was a bust in terms of snow in much of the USA. Here in New York State's Mid Hudson area we have a very active group with many members- The Mid Hudson Cross Country Ski Society (MHXCSS) which I founded on this group many years back. Skiers may be more tied to local groups. For me skiing involved pursuing Worldloppet, and now with the cost and hassle of flying and the poor exchange rate it's not realistic for me to travel like that. Blogging is a means of sharing ideas in community that probably took a bite out of this group. Backin the days of great activity here, grops were a relatively new means of exchange among people using new technology. Interest in high level racing may be hurt by doping. It's affected my interest in international racing. As I grew older and grew more satisfied with "just doing", the technical aspects of skiing lost importance. Cell phones have given good reason to consider rollerskiing as a safe activity. Unique to me, or maybe not, is the aging process which unfortunately has as a consequence physical health issues. Skiing is hard work and can be hard on the body! I enjoy being in snow and don't have much fee time. Now I snowshoe more than I used to.

These factors above came to mind without much thought. Despite them, my fantasy is to get back in to skiing. If I can do that, I would hope that I would make contributions to this fine group, and get back all that I used to when I was more active in the group. This community really helped me focus and added a dimension to skiing that was very rich and pleasurable.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY
Old October 31st 12, 06:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

gr wrote:
On 10/29/2012 1:39 PM, Big Hitter wrote:
Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know
there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I
notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to
everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got
some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

Snow is coming and all will be well!

The main 19:00 NRK news program showed people skiing in Oslo yesterday...

We got more snow this morning, but it is supposed to rain a bit for the
next 3 days or so. :-(

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old November 1st 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

On 10/30/2012 11:39 PM, Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Skiing hard work? Only if you push yourself, like a racer! Slow down and
it is as easy as hiking, only easier on the knees.
Gary
Rochester, NY
Old November 11th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

wrote:

Last time I was on here this was a pretty decent newsgroup. I know there was a time when a lot of spam showed up and kind of ruined it. I notice a few old timers like Terje, Gary Jacobson. What happened to everyone else? I'm up to 185 pounds or about 84 kilos now so I've got some work to do if I want to get back in ski shape...

It's because Goolge group posters no longer have word wrap and it drives us
crazy. :-)

Ben