Does Size Matter?

Old May 7th 06, 03:28 AM

Default Does Size Matter?

OK, I know this was discussed in here somewhere...but I can't find it
and now I'm a tad more than a bit confused.

I have worn a pair of 28.5 boots since forever. They fit just fine. So,
naturally, I've been looking for a pair of 28.5's.

Now, what I want to understand is this:
1 - Is the shell of a 28.5 the same as the shell of a 28.0 or is the
shell of a 28.5 the same as the shell of a 29.0?

2 - Depending on the above, which "boot" will have a thicker lining? If
the 28/28.5 is the same shell, then the 28.0 will have a thicker
lining, yes? If the 28.5/29 have teh same shell, then the 28.5 has the
thicker lining, yes?

The reason I'm asking is because I am finding better pricing in the
"whole sized" versions of the boot that I'm interested in, than I can
find in the "half size"...so, economically, I can save a ton of cash if
all I have to be concerned with is a good quality fit with a thicker or
thinner lining.

Old May 8th 06, 02:43 AM

FAQ. "Better prices" aren't if the boots don't fit. Sounds like you're a
mailorder purchaser buying by size, and while you might pull that off in a
tennis shoe, it's a bad risk with a ski boot.

Old May 8th 06, 03:13 AM

OK, I know this was discussed in here somewhere...but I can't find it
and now I'm a tad more than a bit confused.

I have worn a pair of 28.5 boots since forever. They fit just fine. So,
naturally, I've been looking for a pair of 28.5's.

Each manufacturer's boots are different - size 28.5 is a different fit
in every boot. You have to get good personal advice from an expert
bootfitter if you want to maximize your skiing, because different boots
each better fits different foot shapes, and no one's foot is the same as
the next guy.

Now, what I want to understand is this:
1 - Is the shell of a 28.5 the same as the shell of a 28.0 or is the
shell of a 28.5 the same as the shell of a 29.0?

Depends on the boot. Measure the sole length in millimeters (my boots
have the sole length engraved on the sides) to see if the boot shells
are the same.

2 - Depending on the above, which "boot" will have a thicker lining? If
the 28/28.5 is the same shell, then the 28.0 will have a thicker
lining, yes? If the 28.5/29 have teh same shell, then the 28.5 has the
thicker lining, yes?

Many manufacturers try to get two sizes from the same shell by putting
more padding in the shell for the smaller size; makes for a lousy fit.
Good skiers want their foot to be close to the shell all around, and
extra padding makes for sloppy skiing.

The reason I'm asking is because I am finding better pricing in the
"whole sized" versions of the boot that I'm interested in, than I can
find in the "half size"...so, economically, I can save a ton of cash if
all I have to be concerned with is a good quality fit with a thicker or
thinner lining.

Your boot fitter will tell you what to do. You don't have a bootfitter,
you're wasting your money; on the boot that won't fit right, on the skis
that won't perform at their best because your boot doesn't transmit your
input to the ski properly, and on the lift ticket when your get much
less out of a day on the mountain than you expected and deserve.

Boots are not the place to go for minimum cost - minimize your ski costs
by bargain hunting, minimize your ticket cost with season passes, get
your poles from the dumpster, your clothes from thrift shops; but expect
to pay for boots.

Old May 12th 06, 03:11 AM

As already mentioned, you shouldn't buy ski boots without trying them
on. but to answer you're question, just about every boot manufacturer
uses the same shell for 1/2 sizes, ie. a 28.0 is the same shell as a
28.5, a 29.0 is the same shell as a 29.5. etc.
they make up the difference with either a thicker liner, or a higher
footbed.