Used Skis

Old September 25th 03, 04:17 AM
Gary S.

On 24 Sep 2003 15:55:01 GMT, lal_truckee
wrote:

Gary S. wrote:

Focus and spend the most on good boots that fit you well.

In fact, I have even seen people buy boots only, and rent the skis
w/bindings at the area. This works well with DIN standards, not so
well with some of the oddball rental ski setups.

Where have you seen "oddball rental setups" that won't fit DIN boots in
the last 20 years?

I saw one at Sunday River in Maine in the mid 80s which was DIN-like,
but the bottom of every boot had a block of the exact same length.
This meant that the bindings did not have to be adjusted in length,
but also that the large foot sizes had the toes and heels overhanging
this block, while the small foot sizes had this much longer block
attached to them. Walking in them was harder than with regular boots.

Their system did not allow for using your own DIN boots, which I had
done previously. They only did it for a few years, and then went back
to more standard.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old September 25th 03, 02:07 PM
Janet Cicariello-Cook

lal_truckee wrote:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On 24 Sep 2003 01:35:02 GMT, Janet Cicariello-Cook penned:
snip

I disagree with advice that if you only ski a few times a year you should rent.

snip

Janet

I do, too. It's been several years since I last rented, and granted, I
think it was at fairly small resorts (Ski Roundtop in PA, anyone?), but
I seem to recall that the rental skis seemed to have no wax on them.
They positively stuck to the snow rather than gliding along. When I got
my first hand-me-down skis with fresh wax on them, I was amazed at how
much more smoothly everything worked.

In my experience, rental skis from a reliable shop are much better
maintained and tuned than is typical for most people's personal skis.
Most people are clueless as to the regular care required for good ski
performance.

In any case, Demo (AKA Performance) rentals will be even better prepped
- after all, the shop hopes you'll come back and buy a pair of those
Demo skis you've just rented.

As to Janet's concern re changing skis - yes: it might be easier to
improve if you remove a variable such as ski type; but that can be
obtained by renting the same model each time you ski. Demo and
Performance stock usually are (nearly) identical from shop to shop,
because the big companies subsidize the shop to rent their skis as Demos
as part of their promo budget.

Maybe he's big enough, but I'm only 5'2" and have a really hard time finding demo's of high performance skis
that are short enough for me. Even at consumer demo days, it seems that everyone assumes that only 6ft guys want
high performance skis. Yes, they make and sell shorter skis, but don't put them in their demo fleet (except
maybe for slalom race skis - but that's not what I want in an everyday ski) Maybe this is just a difference
between what shops out west do and shops in the east, but that's been my experience. Also many shops only carry
a subset of manufacturers, so you can't always find the brand you want in any given shop. And if you're in a
unfamiliar area for a day or two, you don't want to waste time chasing around to find a shop that rents what you
want. (and than having to drive back to the shop if you really don't like the ski your on to get something else)
Shops at a ski area in the East are not in a village at the base of the mountain that you can walk to, you have
to drive to get there. Of course, demo to find what you like, but once you do, buy it - skis will last a long
time that are only used a few times a year.

(FWIW, I like to change skis (I have a big quiver) fairly often - keeps
me on my toes and improves my skiing by forcing me away from ski-induced
bad habits.)

Again, you already have the skills to adapt to different skis. But every ski feels different and an intermediate
that skis a few times a year doesn't need to waste time getting used to a different ski each time out.

Janet

Old September 25th 03, 04:50 PM
lal_truckee

wrote:

Gary S. wrote:

[...]

Boreal in California had that same binding/boot combo 20 years ago. It
was only on their el crapola package rental fleet skis - not on their
Performance (AKA "Demo") rental skis. But they've been gone a long time
- I don't think anyone has to worry about finding DIN compatible ski
rentals today.

Old September 25th 03, 05:05 PM
Gary S.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:50:18 CST, lal_truckee
wrote:

Gary S. wrote:

I saw one at Sunday River in Maine in the mid 80s which was DIN-like,
but the bottom of every boot had a block of the exact same length.

Their system did not allow for using your own DIN boots, which I had
done previously. They only did it for a few years, and then went back

Boreal in California had that same binding/boot combo 20 years ago. It
was only on their el crapola package rental fleet skis - not on their
Performance (AKA "Demo") rental skis. But they've been gone a long time
- I don't think anyone has to worry about finding DIN compatible ski
rentals today.

I agree, I think that the idea died quickly and no one would want it
back. They have worked out other ways to speed the rental lines at the
mountain.

Of course, planning ahead and renting before you arrive will save you
time at both ends of the day, and means you won't be surprised when
they are out of your boot size.

Old September 25th 03, 10:57 PM
Kneale Brownson

"Chris Devidal" wrote in message ...
Again, looking for advice from the much wiser RSA crowd.

Living far from the slopes, I only make about 1-3 trips a year, but am still
sick of paying money to rent every time when it seems like I can get a
fairly decent setup used for a few hundred dollars (almost what I spend on
rentals in a season). I'll probably look around on ebay, but the problem is
I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm a 6'0" male, 150 pounds, who skis
mostly groomers but I enjoy powder where available, and the occasional
bumps. It seems I'm looking for some all-mountain cruisers, but what would
be a good set for me, the intermediate who wants to get better and ski
increasingly difficult terrain. Also any recommendations on boots?

I'd look for NEW boots and maybe shop at the kind of used ski
swap/sales that are held to help support youth ski programs. I've
purchased several pairs of year-old, relatively unused skis at such
swaps.

You've already received a bunch of good NEW boot advice.

Old September 26th 03, 04:59 PM
Steve Hamlin

Me to re boots first, BUT: if you're skiing in eastern europe, skis
are a must - there's no way of telling just how poorly maintained hire
skis might be when you get there (RoundedEdges+Ice=StarsInYourEyes)

Just to be perverse, having said this, I actually like hiring
sometimes becuase it lets me use proper skis for a change (yup, aging
git)

Pay due homage unto your water buts, for they are the charnel houses
of Dead Snow

Steve