Roads in White Mountains NH, Gorham to Jackson?

Old February 15th 12, 05:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

Default Roads in White Mountains NH, Gorham to Jackson?

How reliable is the road down through the White Mountains, NH (from
Gorham/Shelburne to Jackson Village)?
This is Route 16 (aka: White Mountain Rd/Pinkham Notch Rd)according to
Google maps, but terrain shows it going right through the mountains, so
I wonder if it often turns into a snow covered mess.

Also, I notice that Tuckermans Ravine seems to have some regular XC
trails. How many KM of classic? (not counting the heavy duty stuff
Tuckermans is known for, just what can be skied on regular xc gear.)

Which trails might be best suited for older skiers (if any)?

Going on a trip real soon to NH!

Old February 15th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Morris Keesan

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 00:48:06 -0500, gr
wrote:

How reliable is the road down through the White Mountains, NH (from
Gorham/Shelburne to Jackson Village)?
This is Route 16 (aka: White Mountain Rd/Pinkham Notch Rd)according to
Google maps, but terrain shows it going right through the mountains, so
I wonder if it often turns into a snow covered mess.

Unless it's actively snowing, you should have no trouble on the road
at all. One thing New Hampshire is very good at is snow removal and
road maintenance.

Also, I notice that Tuckermans Ravine seems to have some regular XC
trails. How many KM of classic? (not counting the heavy duty stuff
Tuckermans is known for, just what can be skied on regular xc gear.)

Which trails might be best suited for older skiers (if any)?

Can't help you there -- I think you're talking about the AMC trails,
in the national forest, which I believe are all somewhat back-country-ish,
and never groomed, as far as I know. But right in Pinkham Notch there's
Great Glen Trails, with 45 km of groomed trails,
(http://www.greatglentrails.com/winte...er/trail-map/), and
I think they groom everything for classic. I find the entire Great Glen
system relatively easy to ski.

I haven't been at Great Glen recently, because just a few miles down
the road in Jackson, we've had great conditions, since the beginning of
January when we finally got snow. As of this morning, Jackson has 86km
groomed & tracked. A few people tried to ski all of it for Jackson's
annual groomed trail challenge, but nobody managed it this year. More
than enough terrain of all difficulty levels.
www.jacksonxc.org
(I'm a season member at Jackson, have been for years, and rarely ski
anywhere else, especially in years like this when we haven't had winter
down in Massachusetts.)

--
Morris Keesan --