Arizona or New Mexico Skiing

Old February 11th 05, 12:36 AM
xenman

Default Arizona or New Mexico Skiing

We're going to be driving across Arizona and New Mexico in a couple of week and
I'm trying to talk my wife into doing some skiing along the way. We tried Taos a few
years ago and my wife didn't like it. Few runs off each chair meant crowed runs.
We're looking at:
Arizona:
Arizona Snow Bowl by Flagstaff
Sunrise Park
Mt. Lemmon by Tucso
New Mexico:
Sandia Peak by Alburquerque
Ruidoso Ski Apache
Ski Santa Fe
Ski Pajarito by Los Alamos
Any constructive comments are welcomed.

Old February 11th 05, 01:22 AM
Richard Henry

"xenman" wrote in message
We're going to be driving across Arizona and New Mexico in a couple of

week and
I'm trying to talk my wife into doing some skiing along the way. We tried

Taos a few
years ago and my wife didn't like it. Few runs off each chair meant

crowed runs.
We're looking at:
Arizona:
Arizona Snow Bowl by Flagstaff
Sunrise Park
Mt. Lemmon by Tucso
New Mexico:
Sandia Peak by Alburquerque
Ruidoso Ski Apache
Ski Santa Fe
Ski Pajarito by Los Alamos
Any constructive comments are welcomed.

Sheesh, another newbie. Coming here, expecting "constructive" comments.

If things seems a little strange, try rec.skiing.alpine.moderated, or just
keep your sense of humor tuned up.

Old February 11th 05, 04:52 AM
Jim Strohm

Bob Lee wrote:

That's a curious criticism of Taos, I've never heard anyone say that
it's crowded except at Xmas or during spring break. But if you thought
Taos was crowded, you aren't going to like any of those others in New
Mexico - except maybe Pajarito, it isn't crowded, just small and lower
elevation so there's often less snow, plus it's only open Fri-Sun.
Ruidoso is crowded.

Maybe it has something to do with the roads, but he left off Angel Fire
(often crowded by drape-snatchers) and Red River (redneck whitebread
hick town).

Red River's not bad for crowds, except on the traverse from the main
lodge bunny lift to the main mountain lift. And for interesting but not
particularly challenging skiing, it's a little better (lower) on the
altitude than Santa Fe.

Santa Fe is just high enough to get the flatlanders gasping in the
parking lot. OTOH, I understand that the shuttle-served return from the
backside out-of-bounds is very convenient and very popular with 'boarders.
Old February 11th 05, 05:57 AM
Jay Pique

Bob Lee wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

That's a curious criticism of Taos, I've never heard anyone say that
it's crowded except at Xmas or during spring break. But if you thought
Taos was crowded, you aren't going to like any of those others in New
Mexico - except maybe Pajarito, it isn't crowded, just small and lower
elevation so there's often less snow, plus it's only open Fri-Sun.
Ruidoso is crowded.

Maybe it has something to do with the roads, but he left off Angel Fire
(often crowded by drape-snatchers) and Red River (redneck whitebread
hick town).

Good point - those places have good appeal to the middle-of-the-road
skier.

Red River's not bad for crowds, except on the traverse from the main
lodge bunny lift to the main mountain lift. And for interesting but not
particularly challenging skiing, it's a little better (lower) on the
altitude than Santa Fe.

Santa Fe is just high enough to get the flatlanders gasping in the
parking lot.

At the Santa Fe parking lot - around 10,300 ft - even marmots have been
known to pass out if they stand up too fast.

Hyperbole. The first and last sign of aging.

JP
***********************
Telemarkers. Feh.
Old February 11th 05, 06:20 AM
The Real Bev

Jim Strohm wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the roads, but he left off Angel Fire
(often crowded by drape-snatchers) and Red River (redneck whitebread
hick town).

What's a drape-snatcher? There are times when I believe I've led an
extremely sheltered life...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 11th 05, 01:17 PM
Jeff

xenman wrote:
We're going to be driving across Arizona and New Mexico in a couple of week and
I'm trying to talk my wife into doing some skiing along the way. We tried Taos a few
years ago and my wife didn't like it. Few runs off each chair meant crowed runs.
We're looking at:
Arizona:
Arizona Snow Bowl by Flagstaff
Sunrise Park
Mt. Lemmon by Tucso
New Mexico:
Sandia Peak by Alburquerque
Ruidoso Ski Apache
Ski Santa Fel
Ski Pajarito by Los Alamos
Any constructive comments are welcomed.

I skied the Sunbowl. From the summit you can see the southern rim of the
Grand Canyon which, I believe, is about 80 miles to the North. The drive
from Pheonix to Flagstaff is very scenic. We were there on Thanksgiving
weekend and they already had 50++ inches of snow. The Sunbowl is divided
in two, on one half you've got advanced trails and a 2000 ft vertical
and on the other half you have a 1000 ft (guess) drop and blue cruisers.
I wouldn't recommend it for a skiing vacation unless you want to make it
part of a general trip to Arizona. My family has ties to Pheonix and my
wife loves Arizona, so I'm sure I'll be back.

Jeff

Old February 11th 05, 03:25 PM
Chester Bullock

xenman wrote:
We're going to be driving across Arizona and New Mexico in a couple of week and
I'm trying to talk my wife into doing some skiing along the way. We tried Taos a few
years ago and my wife didn't like it. Few runs off each chair meant crowed runs.
We're looking at:
Arizona:
Arizona Snow Bowl by Flagstaff
Sunrise Park
Mt. Lemmon by Tucso
New Mexico:
Sandia Peak by Alburquerque
Ruidoso Ski Apache
Ski Santa Fe
Ski Pajarito by Los Alamos
Any constructive comments are welcomed.

Snowbowl, if it is open and has snow, gets EXTREMELY crowded on the
weekends. Can still be fun though. I personally would rather try Taos.
But I have never been there, so maybe that is why.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247
Old February 11th 05, 03:43 PM
Walt

xenman wrote:
We're going to be driving across Arizona and New Mexico in a couple of week and
I'm trying to talk my wife into doing some skiing along the way. We tried Taos a few
years ago and my wife didn't like it. Few runs off each chair meant crowed runs.
We're looking at:
Arizona:
Arizona Snow Bowl by Flagstaff
Sunrise Park
Mt. Lemmon by Tucso
New Mexico:
Sandia Peak by Alburquerque
Ruidoso Ski Apache
Ski Santa Fe
Ski Pajarito by Los Alamos
Any constructive comments are welcomed.

1) Add Angel Fire and Red River to your list of candidate resorts.

2) Check back in a week or so - I'm going out there this Saturday for a
week. I'm sure I'll have an opinion or two to share.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 11th 05, 04:59 PM
Elle Navorski

"Walt" wrote
1) Add Angel Fire and Red River to your list of candidate resorts.

2) Check back in a week or so - I'm going out there this Saturday for a
week. I'm sure I'll have an opinion or two to share.

Walt,

I for one would very much appreciate your reports on Angel Fire or Red
River. I'm thinking of heading up that way.

Elle

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM