Big Mountain vs. ???

Old December 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
Mark

Default Big Mountain vs. ???

Greetings.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Big Mountain in mid February,
and I have a few questions.

Is there enough there to keep us interested for six days of skiing?
We are upper-intermediates in our mid-forties. We enjoy everything up
through easier blacks, and would like to get some more powder
experience. Long cruisers with decent pitch (think Snowmass) are a
joy.

Does it have the potential to be intolerably cold? I don't mind zero
or five below, but -15 with a wind might be a bit tough!

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including suggestions of
other places to go. We want to go somewhere without long lift lines
(think Vail) and with Rocky-Mountain snow, and we want to try
someplace we haven't been before. The only other place we're
seriously considering right now is Steamboat.

For background, our favorite places (that we've been, anyway) are
Snowmass, Alta, and Snowbird. We've also been to Vail, Beaver,
Highlands, PCMR, Canyons, Deer Valley, Lake Louise, and Sunshine.
Vail's terrain would have put it on the favorite list, but the crowds
are ridiculous. Park City also has a lot of the kinds of runs we
like, but the snow wasn't very good when we were there.

Thanks again for any help!

Mark

Old December 3rd 04, 01:43 AM
Terry Morse

Mark wrote:

Greetings.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Big Mountain in mid February,
and I have a few questions.

Is there enough there to keep us interested for six days of skiing?

My wife and I have been there twice, and we'd like to go back again.
We had no problem with boredom over a week. The terrain is decent
and varied, the snow is very good when it's fresh, the crowds are
nonexistant, the village is pleasant and convenient. The weather can
be gloomy, though. If you don't mind not seeing the Sun for a few
days, you'll do fine. Bring balaclavas, they're essential on crummy
weather days.

Does it have the potential to be intolerably cold? I don't mind zero
or five below, but -15 with a wind might be a bit tough!

Cold snaps are rare at Big Mountain, but they can happen. The same
is true for any area in the Rockies.

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

A decent hotel with an excellent location.

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

In the village, I suggest the Hellroaring Saloon. It's right next to
your hotel. Plenty of dinner choices in Whitefish, too.

Some photos from our Big Mountain trips:

http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/bigmtn0201/index.html
http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/bigmtn0104/

The village has been built up since we were there, so you probably
have more dinner/drinking options now.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://ski.terrymorse.com/
Old December 3rd 04, 06:07 AM
foot2foot

"Mark" wrote in message

Greetings.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Big Mountain in mid February,
and I have a few questions.

Is there enough there to keep us interested for six days of skiing?

Easily. There's enough to get you into real trouble if you want.

We are upper-intermediates in our mid-forties. We enjoy everything up
through easier blacks, and would like to get some more powder
experience.

I showed up there with maybe two feet of fresh in the lot,
there wasn't *anybody* in the lot until maybe eleven. They
all had to work, you know. Now, it *was* a weekday.

Long cruisers with decent pitch (think Snowmass) are a
joy.

Good choice.

Does it have the potential to be intolerably cold?

No. Not often anyway.

I don't mind zero
or five below, but -15 with a wind might be a bit tough!

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

Don't know. Don't remember. The town is right down
the road from the mountain. If you're driving, it's
all a non issue, that little town is a *great* ski town, and
there's a bigger one ten miles from that.

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

See above. There's a bunch of things to do.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including suggestions of
other places to go. We want to go somewhere without long lift lines
(think Vail)

Huh?

and with Rocky-Mountain snow,

Yep, maybe even lighter.

and we want to try
someplace we haven't been before. The only other place we're
seriously considering right now is Steamboat.

There's *nobody* in Montana. One million people in the
whole state. The state is Huge. The rockies are only half
of it.

For background, our favorite places (that we've been, anyway) are
Snowmass, Alta, and Snowbird. We've also been to Vail, Beaver,
Highlands, PCMR, Canyons, Deer Valley, Lake Louise, and Sunshine.
Vail's terrain would have put it on the favorite list, but the crowds
are ridiculous. Park City also has a lot of the kinds of runs we
like, but the snow wasn't very good when we were there.

You could also have a giggle at Blacktail, I think it is. It's a
more intermediate area, good beginner trees, lots of cruisies,
could be fun for a day or so as well. It's maybe twenty miles
from Big Mountain. The employess aren't allowed to take
the fresh pow until noon.

Thanks again for any help!

Mark

HTH.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:41 AM
JQ

"foot2foot" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote in message

(snip)
I agree with everything f2f said.

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

Yes, it is accurate, it is right next to the lift. Has a sauna and
resturant too.

Don't know. Don't remember. The town is right down
the road from the mountain. If you're driving, it's
all a non issue, that little town is a *great* ski town, and
there's a bigger one ten miles from that.

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

There's no real night life on the mountain unless they reopened the bar with
the bucking horse/bull.
In town there are a few bars and one with pool tables, there are a few
decent resturants in town too.

See above. There's a bunch of things to do.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including suggestions of
other places to go. We want to go somewhere without long lift lines
(think Vail)

Big Mountain is a great place to ski, don't under estimate the difficulty of
their blue runs. Keep a copy of their trail map so you don't end up were yo
don't want to be or over your head. It can get very foggy there too. If it
is a clear day the site from the summit looking into Glacier National Park
can be one of the most beautiful sites you will ever see, well worth the
trip.

JQ
Dancing on the edge
(snip)

Old December 6th 04, 04:09 PM
Mark

Thanks very much to Terry, F2F, and JQ for the three helpful replies.

We're convinced - I've booked the trip. We'll be at the Alpinglow
from 2/5 - 2/12.

Mark

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 01:41:16 -0500, "JQ" wrote:

"foot2foot" wrote in message

(snip)

Old December 7th 04, 09:05 PM
Eviel Dewar

Terry Morse wrote:

http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/bigmtn0201/index.html
http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/bigmtn0104/

Great pics, Terry! What type of camera do you use?

Eviel

Old December 7th 04, 11:19 PM
Terry Morse

"Eviel Dewar" wrote:

Great pics, Terry! What type of camera do you use?

Thanks! Um, I think those Big Mountain photos were taken with an
Olympus D-460 camera. That camera took an unfortunate trip to the
pavement on a bike ride last year, so now I use a Canon Digital
Elph. I like the Canon even more. It starts up faster, it has triple
the pixel resolution, and it's smaller. I took last January's Tioga
Pass photos with the Canon:

http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/tpr0401/index.html

Although it's hard to tell the difference on a web page, the Canon
photos look much better as 8 x 10 prints.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://ski.terrymorse.com/