Andorra

Old October 2nd 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL alter ego

Default Andorra

pushes aside tumbleweed and taps mike
Er, hello, is this thing on?

Andorra: I've always thought of it as being somewhere I wouldn't bother
going, but I might be skiing with friends who've had a premiminary look
at what's available and seen details of a resort here (I didn't ask
exactly which resort), so I thought I'd do some research.

This would be a family group with children aged four to about twelve,
whth all except one person pretty much absolute beginners.

Is the snow reliable and is the resort likely to be both beginner-
friendly and have enough to do for a reasonably good skier/snowboarder
for a week? Is there much to do for part-time skiers? Ski schools - any
horror stories?

Thanks.
Old October 3rd 11, 08:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On 2 Oct 2011 20:49:05 GMT, PipL alter ego
wrote:

pushes aside tumbleweed and taps mike
Er, hello, is this thing on?

blows cobwebs aside

Did somebody say something?

Andorra: I've always thought of it as being somewhere I wouldn't bother
going, but I might be skiing with friends who've had a premiminary look
at what's available and seen details of a resort here (I didn't ask
exactly which resort), so I thought I'd do some research.

Quite right too. Which resort you thinking of, or haven't you got that
far yet?

This would be a family group with children aged four to about twelve,
whth all except one person pretty much absolute beginners.

Good English-speaking instruction is a positive factor there - none of
your ESF 'just follow me' nonsense. So yes, a good place to start.

Is the snow reliable and is the resort likely to be both beginner-
friendly and have enough to do for a reasonably good skier/snowboarder
for a week?

Probably, which resort? and Yes, respectively.

Is there much to do for part-time skiers?

Lots of places to drink. Other than that, not a lot. Oh, some bits,
notably Pas de la Casa (which are, IMO, best avoided) are full of
brash 'cheap' shops and bars, sort of like duty-free Magalouf a la
Montagne. The so-called duty-free shops always manage to have models
of stuff that you've never heard of, and therefore can't compare
prices on. Often last year's model, sorta thing.

Ski schools - any horror stories?

Nope.

But what else?

The only time I've been there was for three weeks (Ski Club repping)
over xmas and new year. As it happened that particular season had a
very poor start in the Alpes, but there was so much snow in Andorra
that they had to close the roads at times.

My experience was of the Granvalira area, which at that time was only
just renamed, rather than the seperately run areas of PdlC and Soldeu
up till that point. It's really quite an extensive area, with some
variety too. Some tree skiing, some higher and more exposed. Quite a
bit of off-piste potential too, particularly one part which was only
served by a Cat-tow which didn't always run, and gave onto at least
four obvious descents otherwise unreachable. Great, it was.

Nightlife (in Soldeu and it's little hamlet of el Tartar) is quite
lively, with many brit tour groups going on organised bar crawls and
suchlike, and the noise and litter levels are consistent with that, so
best to avoid the more central hotels if you want more peace and
quiet.

Also note that most of the hotels do buffet service, which was OK, but
raraely good. They don't seem to have the focus on keeping food hot
hot like we do. We were eating around on a weekly rota, different
hoptel each night, and some were better than others, but TBH I can't
remember which were which, plus it's five years or more ago, so has
probably changed. But if I were going I'd choose somewhere that did't
do buffet dinners. YMMV.

Anthing else you want to know?

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old October 6th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:28:38 +0200, Ace wrote:

snip useful stuff
Anthing else you want to know?

Well, there was, but it turns out that under-sixes can't go into ski school in
that resort. So that's an end.

We're currently looking at Are & hemsedal: Are's the favourite as it's both
cheaper and the nearest lift's only 75m from the apartment.

Unfortunately it's in the Duved area, which appears to be isolated from the
main ski area.

One problem is the dates: our friends can only ski from 26th December to 2nd
January, which is rather a serious limit.

I looked at the Chalet Cascades in Flaine, which I seem to recall you saying
was flexible in dates, is that right? I'm not sure how easy it is for novice
skiers to get out of, though I guess they could walk up the hill 100m to (I
think) a green run that runs down to the ski school area.
--

Pip

Old October 7th 11, 08:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:44:48 +0100, PipL wrote:

I looked at the Chalet Cascades in Flaine, which I seem to recall you saying
was flexible in dates, is that right?

Certainly used to be. Where flexible=prepared to accept bookings that
aren't exclusively Saturday-Saturday.

I'm not sure how easy it is for novice
skiers to get out of, though I guess they could walk up the hill 100m to (I
think) a green run that runs down to the ski school area.

Yes, a short walk up gets you to the top of a baby drag and a
beginners area, or lets you ski round and down to the DMS via the
green run round past the restaurant Epicia. Perhaps not perfect for
beginners, but it wouldn't worry me overly if I were in your position.

Or to put it another way, it's only the same walk you have to do if
you're going out on the **** after dinner, so it must be OK, right?

Old October 9th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:35:02 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:44:48 +0100, PipL wrote:

I looked at the Chalet Cascades in Flaine, which I seem to recall you saying
was flexible in dates, is that right?

Certainly used to be. Where flexible=prepared to accept bookings that
aren't exclusively Saturday-Saturday.

Yep, that's what I meant.

I'm not sure how easy it is for novice
skiers to get out of, though I guess they could walk up the hill 100m to (I
think) a green run that runs down to the ski school area.

Yes, a short walk up gets you to the top of a baby drag and a
beginners area, or lets you ski round and down to the DMS via the
green run round past the restaurant Epicia. Perhaps not perfect for
beginners, but it wouldn't worry me overly if I were in your position.

Good-oh. I'm trying to sell thidea but there is some resistance locally.

Or to put it another way, it's only the same walk you have to do if
you're going out on the **** after dinner, so it must be OK, right?

Heh. This is a family group of sensible aspiring pillar-of-the-community
types. Well, the others are.
--

Pip

Andorra recommendations? The Older Gentleman European Ski Resorts 9 August 30th 05 12:37 PM
Andorra Pas De La Casa Bernie European Ski Resorts 19 March 26th 04 12:30 PM
Andorra AEC European Ski Resorts 5 November 4th 03 05:15 PM
bulgaria v andorra Hedgehog & Markarina Alpine Skiing 5 August 8th 03 09:15 AM
What to do in Andorra? ToddD European Ski Resorts 6 July 24th 03 04:48 PM