Winter Golf Trip

Old November 18th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Winter Golf Trip

On Nov 17, 6:25*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 11/17/10 18:07, Richard Henry wrote:

On Nov 17, 5:28 pm, The Real *wrote:
*On 11/17/10 09:21, Richard Henry wrote:

* *On Nov 17, 7:35 am, * *wrote:
* * *On Nov 16, 7:06 pm, Richard * *wrote:

* * * * *I have half a mind to do an I-15 ski trip this winter, hitting a a
* * * * *dozen or so ski areas along the interstate. *Your golf location is
* * * * *right off I-15, but I don't think the skiing in that area is worth
* * * * *much.

* * *There is a little local hill near Vegas. Mt. Charleston rings a bell?
* * *But just up the road a piece it starts to get REAL interesting!

* *My tentative plan starts at Mountain High* (closest SoCal skiing to
* *I-15) and ends somewhere in Montana, with a stop or two in every
* *state. *I guess Mt. Charleston is the only choice in southern Nevada.
* *Anybody know anything about it?

* *The current list:

* *California: *Mt. High (?)
* *Nevada: *Mt. Charleston (?)
* *Utah: *One south, one north, areas I have never skied.
* *Idaho: *Sun Valley (Hemingway effect) and perhaps one other
* *Montana: *???

* *And then, of course, *the return trip, which may or may not be on
* *I-15.

*In my experience, the return trip is always 'drive like a bat out of
*hell to get home because we're all fscking EXHAUSTED'. *I-15 is good for
*that, except for the LV-to-LA/SD bits on Sunday.

*PLEASE visit Craters of the Moon in Idaho. *Trust me. *One of the best
*places in the country, and I've seen most of the good ones.

* **Although Bev has almost talked me out of MH.

*Come on, you've been there. *How much talking do I need to do? *Go to
*Big Bear and go down the backside to pick up I-15 in Barstow.

I was hoping to pick up areas where I have never skied.

I tried to ski at MH once, because all roads to BB were closed (so you
know it had to be a good day),

No, it probably meant snow/mudslides over the roads.

but the traffic was stopped on 138
right after I crossed the railroad tracks.

You've never been there? *Why not try Baldy instead, assuming there's
enough natural snow.

The best day of MH skiing I ever had was during a Santa Ana when there
were truck warnings through the Cajon Pass. *Nobody was there AND the
wind doesn't extend into Wrightwood. *Peaceful, empty, no slush, no
wind. *An actual GOOD day.

Odds are against there being another one, especially at a convenient time..

--
Cheers, Bev

* Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the straps.

You're so optimistic.