temporary wax for waxless skis when all stores are closed?

Old December 26th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Default temporary wax for waxless skis when all stores are closed?

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll check out all these
suggestions. I didn't end up even trying to ski today - way to busy
since I was cooking Christmas Dinner anyhow.

I saw that the one place that sells downhill ski stuff here is having
a free clinic early in Jan on Ski maintenance including waxing them -
I think I'll try to attend that - even though it's downhill skis
probably it'll probably still be relevant.

Meg

Old December 26th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

On Dec 25, 9:39*pm, Meg wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll check out all these
suggestions. I didn't end up even trying to ski today - way to busy
since I was cooking Christmas Dinner anyhow.

I saw that the one place that sells downhill ski stuff here is having
a free clinic early in Jan on Ski maintenance including waxing them -
I think I'll try to attend that - even though it's downhill skis
probably it'll probably still be relevant.

Meg

Should have added this before - this sounds like just what I need.
(Clinic description)

Simply put, waxing your skis or your board helps you ride the snow
faster. And sharpening your edges helps you keep control on less than
perfect conditions. Now that you know why this is important, come
learn how. An Alpine Shop Ski Shop technician will cover the basics of
keeping your gear tuned for the best performance in-between
professional maintenance.
Old December 26th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 19:46:44 -0800 (PST)
Meg wrote:

Should have added this before - this sounds like just what I need.
(Clinic description)

Simply put, waxing your skis or your board helps you ride the snow
faster. And sharpening your edges helps you keep control on less than
perfect conditions. Now that you know why this is important, come
learn how. An Alpine Shop Ski Shop technician will cover the basics of
keeping your gear tuned for the best performance in-between
professional maintenance.

The waxing part is mostly in common, but edge sharpening is not;
they're talking about metal edges. Btw, your original post says
Alpine Control waxless skis. I think you meant Alpina:
http://www.alpinasports.com/index.ph...l-nis--control.
Did you buy them from REI?

Where do you live? We might have some ideas who you could contact.

Gene
Old December 26th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

*Btw, your original post says
Alpine Control waxless skis. *I think you meant Alpina:http://www.alpinasports.com/index.ph...em/control-nis....
Did you buy them from REI? *

Where do you live? We might have some ideas who you could contact.

Gene

Yes you are correct, Alpina control - I misspelled the name. I bought
them at backcountry.com. I'm in St. Louis. I bought them during the
last snow of the season last year and by the time I got them snow was
all gone, so am finally using them. We get about 3-4 snows or so a
season at most and they are usually gone pretty quick so you can't
really buy the skis around here. If I'd thought to do some more
reading I could have taken the skis up to Door County Wisconsin where
I go every summer to get the wax put on. I figured I could watch how
they do the heated waxing anyhow on the downhill skis and it would be
sort of similar - at least the technique.

I think I'd have to go up to Chicago to find an actual groomed ski
trail or at least partway there.

Meg
Old December 26th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 09:11:17 -0800 (PST)
Meg wrote:

*Btw, your original post says
Alpine Control waxless skis. *I think you meant
Alpina:http://www.alpinasports.com/index.ph...em/control-nis....
Did you buy them from REI? *

Where do you live? We might have some ideas who you could contact.

Gene

I think I'd have to go up to Chicago to find an actual groomed ski
trail or at least partway there.

Did you post here last season? Someone from St. Louis did and we
provided some ideas, e.g., http://www.a1trails.com/xc_ski/xcclmw.html.

Gene
Old December 26th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Yes I did post last season, and everyone was very helpful in giving
advice to the skis and bindings I bought. I am back from the store
and did manage to find the Swix F4, luckily.

Old December 26th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

On 12/26/2010 3:18 PM, Meg wrote:
Yes I did post last season, and everyone was very helpful in giving
advice to the skis and bindings I bought. I am back from the store
and did manage to find the Swix F4, luckily.
Did you post here last season? Someone from St. Louis did and we
provided some ideas, e.g.,http://www.a1trails.com/xc_ski/xcclmw.html.

Gene

The downhill wax you mentioned looked like it was hard wax. This would
not work at all in your fishscales. You need a liquid or a paste for
them. Swix F4 is darn near universal and is quite common in the Alpine
and snowboard world also.

For more info on waxing check out Tognar Toolworks at http://tognar.com/
gr
Old December 26th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Well I must say that skiing with wax on the skis is actually sort of
fun.

A few trouble spots where I skied through some footprints of slush and
had to take off the skis and break off slush before continuing, but it
did seem much easier and I felt like skiing much longer this time.

Thanks so much.

Meg