Orcieres

Old March 10th 04, 12:45 PM
wlodi

Default Orcieres

Hi,

I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you had been
there in this time of year.

Any comments on that resort?

tia,

wlodi

Old March 10th 04, 12:48 PM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
wrote:

Hi,

I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you had been
there in this time of year.

Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed like
there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
having never skiied there.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 10th 04, 05:12 PM
PG

"wlodi" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you had
been
| there in this time of year.
|
| Any comments on that resort?

Pretty much lived at the resort for three years up until the start of
this season, going there every Wednesday and weekend through the winter.
South-facing so conditions can be average at lower altitude late
season - and they've forecast a warm spell during this coming week
through the Alps generally. Should be reasonably quiet at the moment, a
'large' resort for the southern Alps with around 60 miles of runs, good
variety, plenty for kids - it's a 'family' resort, not too much
nightlife. Ugly place though. Good sports centre - bowling/swimming
pool/ice rink complex. That's the general picture, but what sort of
skiing are you after? On your own or with family? Then I can give you
specifics.

Pete

Old March 10th 04, 05:14 PM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| wrote:
|
| Hi,
|
| I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you
had been
| there in this time of year.
|
| Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed like
| there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| having never skiied there.

Did you get lost ?! ;o)

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old March 10th 04, 05:23 PM
Ian Spare

PG wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
| On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| wrote:
|
| Hi,
|
| I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you
had been
| there in this time of year.
|
| Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed like
| there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| having never skiied there.

Did you get lost ?! ;o)

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

:-)

I've got to say I've been wondering that as well, it's what? A 500km
detour ?
Old March 10th 04, 07:45 PM
PG

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| "Ace" wrote in message
| | On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| | wrote:
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of
you
| had been
| | there in this time of year.
| |
| | Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed
like
| | there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| | having never skiied there.
|
| Did you get lost ?! ;o)
|
| I've got to say I've been wondering that as well, it's what? A 500km
| detour ?

Ace must have been taking the scenic route. Though a 60km detour off the
Gap/Grenoble road seems to be taking sightseeing a bit far!
Pete

(get ready to duck) ;o)

Old March 10th 04, 08:20 PM
Ian Spare

PG wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| "Ace" wrote in message
| | On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| | wrote:
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of
you
| had been
| | there in this time of year.
| |
| | Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed
like
| | there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| | having never skiied there.
|
| Did you get lost ?! ;o)
|
| I've got to say I've been wondering that as well, it's what? A 500km
| detour ?

Ace must have been taking the scenic route. Though a 60km detour off the
Gap/Grenoble road seems to be taking sightseeing a bit far!
Pete

mmm.. Gressoney to Basel direction, via the Mt Blanc tunnel I'd have
thought, long way from Gap :-)

(get ready to duck) ;o)

It must be the weather :-) I left the ski station on Sunday after with
my roof bars open, had I not realised within a couple of hundred meters
I'd have spilled my skis onto the road with a nice bounce over the car
roof. Then, incredibly, I did the same the next day albeit without skis
on but I was inches away from ripping the bars off going into the
supermarket car park. And I forgotton to wear my watch on Sunday and I
put creme in my expresso in the restaurant yesterday lunch time,
someone's stealing my brain capacity :-)

Old March 10th 04, 09:43 PM
David Off

PG wrote:
Ace must have been taking the scenic route. Though a 60km detour off the
Gap/Grenoble road seems to be taking sightseeing a bit far!

The things people will do to avoid speed cameras eh?

Old March 11th 04, 07:41 AM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:14:25 +0100, "PG" wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
| On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| wrote:
|
| Hi,
|
| I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you
had been
| there in this time of year.
|
| Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed like
| there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| having never skiied there.

Did you get lost ?! ;o)

We're obviously talking about a different Orsières (note my spelling).
I was referring to the small station of that name just up from
Martigny.

Incidentally, the best and most obvious route from Basel is via the
Grand St. Bernard tunnel. Going via MB would probably add an hour onto
the journey.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 11th 04, 08:31 AM
Ian Spare

Ace wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:14:25 +0100, "PG" wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..
| On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:43 +0100, "wlodi"
| wrote:
|
| Hi,
|
| I am visiting Orcieres next friday and was wondering if any of you
had been
| there in this time of year.
|
| Drove past it on my way back from Gressoney last week - seemed like
| there was plenty of snow around. That's about all I can say, mind,
| having never skiied there.

Did you get lost ?! ;o)

We're obviously talking about a different Orsières (note my spelling).
I was referring to the small station of that name just up from
Martigny.

We noted the spelling originally. It's news to me that Orsières is a ski
station, it has lifts and skiing does it ? I know it's near Champex,
Super St Bernand and Verbier.