Add leash to SNS bindings?

Old January 10th 06, 02:02 PM

Default Add leash to SNS bindings?

I am thinking of taking a telemark turn clinic that AMC is giving at a
local downhill resort (they will use the bunny and green slopes). A
requirement to use the lifts is that "tele" skis must have a leash to
prevent runaway skis.

I plan to use light/mid-weight backcountry skis with a metal edge
(Madshus Voss) and manual Salomon SNS Profile bindings. Can anyone
recommend a way to rig up some kind of leash that doesn't involve
drilling into my ski or binding?

I was thinking of super-glueing a small plastic hose clamp to the top
of my ski, just in front of the toe of the binding, and attaching a
strap to it that would velcro around my ankle. Anyone have a better
idea? - I hope

Thanks.

Harry Wolfson

Old January 10th 06, 05:05 PM

Harry - I'd think hard about anything plastic for an attachment point
or device - if that plastic is not made for the use intended. Just my
experience that a lot of stuff that is extremely strong and durable in
warm temps, can get brittle and break easily in the cold. For example,
nylon "zip-ties" - some I've used are virtually worthless in any
situation involving cold temps and jerking forces. This is what the
leash would likely do.

It's been a while since I outfitted teleskis, but what I did was buy
some small cable devices that are specifically made for this. Several
examples:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/gro...d=&id=dvMVu5Ny

(if the link doesn't work, just do a web search for telemark and
leash).

In my memory, really the only satisfactory way to attach a leash - and
expect it to work without fail - is to take off the front binding and
reattach it with the screws also holding the leash. The leash will have
instructions. I wouldn't try any make-do solutions unless you're
absolutely sure it's bullet proof. In my opinion, you really need to
be absolutely sure that that ski will never run away on you, having
seen what even a light runaway ski can do when it hits someone, not to
mention losing it!

Old January 11th 06, 01:45 AM

Harry Wolfson wrote:
I am thinking of taking a telemark turn clinic that AMC is giving at a
local downhill resort (they will use the bunny and green slopes). A
requirement to use the lifts is that "tele" skis must have a leash to
prevent runaway skis.

I plan to use light/mid-weight backcountry skis with a metal edge
(Madshus Voss) and manual Salomon SNS Profile bindings. Can anyone
recommend a way to rig up some kind of leash that doesn't involve
drilling into my ski or binding?

I was thinking of super-glueing a small plastic hose clamp to the top
of my ski, just in front of the toe of the binding, and attaching a
strap to it that would velcro around my ankle. Anyone have a better
idea? - I hope

Thanks.

Harry Wolfson

I think I have seen small brakes (which would be lifted up by your toe
being in place) similar to the ones used by alpine skis. Sorry, but I
have no clue where I saw them.
gr
Old January 11th 06, 03:09 AM

"Harry Wolfson" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was thinking of super-glueing a small plastic hose clamp to the top
of my ski, just in front of the toe of the binding, and attaching a
strap to it that would velcro around my ankle. Anyone have a better
idea? - I hope

I was in a similar situation and with a pair of salomon equipe bindings at
an instructor's course and we just tied a length of nylon twine around the
binding lever and then to a loop on the boot's cuff--you could also run it
around the ankle.

It was thin enough twine not to affect bining function, yet still afford
reasonable protection to others. The twine made the skis look even more
bizarre to the gravity skiers.

Blake

Old January 11th 06, 10:57 AM

Camilo wrote:
In my memory, really the only satisfactory way to attach a leash - and
expect it to work without fail - is to take off the front binding and
reattach it with the screws also holding the leash.

I understand your point, Camilo. But isn't there a risk every time you
remove and then re-insert the binding screws that they won't hold tight
to the ski core? I thought that once you remove a binding, you should
never re-use the old screw holes when installing a new binding.

Harry Wolfson

Old January 11th 06, 12:23 PM

On 11 Jan 2006 03:57:36 -0800, "Harry Wolfson"
wrote:

But isn't there a risk every time you
remove and then re-insert the binding
screws that they won't hold tight
to the ski core? I thought that once
you remove a binding, you should
never re-use the old screw holes when
installing a new binding.

Assuming things were set up correctly earlier, you should re-use the
same holes, otherwise you change the balance of the ski. There are
ways to deal with possible structural issues -- like putting some bits
of fibertex scraps or toothpicks into the hole (plus a bunch of
epoxy).

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 11th 06, 05:13 PM

I saw those brake things when I just did a quick search looking for the
"leash" I bought many years ago. The same sort of places that sell the
leash things also carry the brake. I have never used a brake for
nordic downhill (my alpine skis have them though). First thought that
comes to my mind is would they work with an SNS type binding? They
might be designed for the larger 3 pin or cable or Voile type binding.
I don't know.

As for Harry's question about holes, as John mentioned, there are ways
of re-using screw holes. Its done all the time. One never re-drills
in a different place (unless you're putting on a different binding)
because the location of the binding is critical for ski performance.
Depending on the core and the condition of the hole, it can be as
simple as just screwing the screw back in, maybe with a drop of glue.
Often it might involve using a filler to plug the hole and redrill in
the same spot. They make plastic pieces just for this purpose, and
toothpicks or golf tee's and glue are also commonly used. You have to
be careful with the type of glue used - for example, my understanding
is that epoxie is not always compatable with core materials. I always
ask at the local shop - they're happy to give free advice like this.

I've tried all the "make do" solutions with twine, straps, invented
attachments, etc. Again, in my opinion, based on experience in both on
and off piste nordic downhill, you should use something intended for
this purpose, properly installed. It is your responsibility to protect
everyone down hill. Runaway skis are quite frightening and super
embarassing if it's yours. It is not expensive - I'll bet you spend
less than $15 for a simple "leash" type device, including installation
if you need someone to do that. If you have a local shop that carries
either tele gear or backcountry gear they probably have the part and
can either install it for you or advise you. I can't imagine it would
cost more than $5 for a tech to do what is needed to properly
re-install a screw into a ski.
Good luck and have fun.

Camilo

Old January 12th 06, 02:20 AM

When I ski with my manual-release SNS Profile on lift-served downhill
trails, I just loop a long heavy shoelace through the square hole in the
release lever.

Ken

P.S. Trying to learn to make a telemark turn on light skis with minimal
sidecut, light boots, and a binding not designed to transmit turning torques
with the heel raised -- does not strike me as a recipe for success.

Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 7 October 14th 05 05:48 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM