Skating over set tracks - what to do?

Old January 11th 06, 05:13 AM

On our local 47k groomed public trail it is "No Dogs Allowed" and
"Snowshoes not allowed on the groomed trail". It works because adjacent
areas are provided for both (the dog area is called "the poop loop").

Here the skaters are given priority with the track set often too close
to the trail edge. But the way I see it is (I ski classic) I can ski
anywhere, leaving the track set if it gets too thin, as well as using
all of the ungroomed back country trails that are nearby. The skaters
need a wide, well groomed trail and they are the vast majority on the
groomed trail.

I should add that dogs and snowshoes are always a problem on the
ungroomed trail areas but usually only near the trail head (even though
signs are posted asking them to stay out of the tracks). But all you
need to do is go back far enough and then you can usually find unspoiled
tracks.

Rich M
Old January 11th 06, 09:12 AM

Here where I am we have different problems - walkers, dogs, smokers, and
snowshoers. I'd gladly contend with an occasional skating mark over the
classic tracks rather than some idiot walking their 100 pound labrador
retriever right in a groomed track while smoking and pulling a sled full of
kids. Nearly got a fist fight over it last weekend. Anyone have any
suggestions for solving the "walker" problems ??

Full metal edges.

Run over their feet/ankles.

:-)

Chris
Old January 11th 06, 09:24 AM

xcwhite wrote:
I agree, use the opportunity to work on your technique by not skiing
in the tracks.

Indeed. Thought they called it "cross country" skiing for a reason? =)
I tend to use the set "train" tracks only for scooting down slight
downhill slopes where they provide nice straight glide with minimum
effort - either on skates or classic skis.

There's a whole wide groomed trail there to kick and glide on. Why not
use it?

Better yet hop off the groomed stuff and ski on real snow. =)

Chris
Old January 11th 06, 11:00 PM

Chris Cole wrote:
xcwhite wrote:
I agree, use the opportunity to work on your technique by not skiing
in the tracks.

Indeed. Thought they called it "cross country" skiing for a reason? =)
I tend to use the set "train" tracks only for scooting down slight
downhill slopes where they provide nice straight glide with minimum
effort - either on skates or classic skis.

There's a whole wide groomed trail there to kick and glide on. Why not
use it?

Better yet hop off the groomed stuff and ski on real snow. =)

Chris

For sure! I got to go to Galena Lodge (out by Sun Valley in Idaho) 2
years ago, (previously only having skied on eastern US snow (ie; mostly
wet, mostly thin)), and even though it was the end of the season, the
base was 50 inches or so, they got an inch of so of new powderish stuff
each night.
Anyway, when I went off the groomed surfaces and jabbed a pole good, I
found that it went down 3 or 4 feet. Also the trees were pretty widely
spaced so I could climb around up hills and easily ski back down to the
trail. Trails are fun and the glide is better, but woods are lots of fun
(as is untracked snow!). (btw , this was easy skiing on std xc skis, I
am afraid I am not good enough to claim any Telemark status!)
gr
gr
Old January 12th 06, 06:05 AM

I think that a good portion of the ruined tracks results from inadequate signage
at the
trails themselves. It is not enough to list them on a trail map, or at a
bulletin board at
the main trail head. Although there are exceptions to this, most people obey
signs, or
at least feel more guilty if one is staring them in the face. Get your favorite
areas to
post clear signs at the trail heads indicating which kinds of skiing are
permitted, and big
clear signs at the main trail heads indicating no foot traffic, dogs, etc. If
there are enough
trails available, I think the skaters and the stridders should be segregated to
their own trails
to avoid these kinds of conflicts, and all main access trails should be
wide enough to handle both types. I have skied several resorts in the Midwest
where
this is put to practice.

Sherwin D.

32 degrees wrote:

hey chris - thanks for the final recap on this thread.

I didnt try to stir things up or say anything bad with my analogy. Was just
really trying to explain the situation !
I am an accomplished skater and love it, but also love great classic tracks
( just in from two great hours of it ).

As for your comment ... Dealing with "walkers, dogs, smokers, and
snowshoers" is indeed
worse. Thankfully, Eldora Mountain Resort is too steep for most
walkers, the altitude would cause most smokers to keel over and die,
and dogs are totally banned (although I once was startled by a complete
sled dog team that emerged from the woods onto my trail one day!). The
snowshoe crowd sometimes strays onto a groomed trail, but not often
enough to be a problem; the resort does a good job with signs for that."

I think I've discovered the problem -- We need to move our little town
trails from their current 1300' elevation to about 9,300 ! That would drive
out the smokers.

hahaha

later
JK

Old January 12th 06, 04:33 PM

Nobodys mentioned actual injuries.
At a minor classic club race in Scotland we had a single cut track on a forest road on a slight downhill. Part way down our track went off left and then up an incline. The slope and the turn were so gentle that all the family members made it without a problem.
On race day the Biathlon Juniors (all military) appeared and were invited to race too,
a race within a race.

One soldier boy was so keen to catchup his pal in front he took his eyes off the track
just on the bend. His weighted right ski came out of the groove into the track left by a skater going straight on. He did the splits, fell on his right arm and it fractured.

Just another incident, but it cost him a potential podium place at the upcoming Army Championships. He went back to his regiment and he never skied again after that day.