seek recommendation on bargain classic ski (waxable)

Old January 11th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default seek recommendation on bargain classic ski (waxable)

Hi All - can anybody who keeps abreast of the merchandise recommend a
good deal right now on a classic ski. I'm looking for good
performance in terms of base/sidecut/pocket etc but don't care much
about the grams. I'm 175 lbs and ski in Colorado. thanks.

Chris

Old January 11th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

" wrote:
Hi All - can anybody who keeps abreast of the merchandise recommend a
good deal right now on a classic ski. *I'm looking for good
performance in terms of base/sidecut/pocket etc but don't care much
about the grams. *I'm 175 lbs and ski in Colorado. *thanks.

Chris

Solomon SNS. Thanks.

Chris
Old January 11th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

" wrote:
Hi All - can anybody who keeps abreast of the merchandise recommend a
good deal right now on a classic ski. *I'm looking for good
performance in terms of base/sidecut/pocket etc but don't care much
about the grams. *I'm 175 lbs and ski in Colorado. *thanks.

Chris

Solomon SNS. *Thanks.

Chris

I have used and like the Fisher SCS with very little real-world
difference from the racing RCS
http://www.gearwest.com/fischer-scs-...r-8902598.html
Old January 15th 10, 01:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

" wrote:
Hi All - can anybody who keeps abreast of the merchandise recommend a
good deal right now on a classic ski. *I'm looking for good
performance

Performance is situational. Will you be skiing in groomed tracks
mostly? Or mostly homestyle skier skied-in trails? (Hiking trails,
golf courses.) A great track ski is narrow. A great trail ski is
wider. We also should know if you want waxable or waxless classic --
there are dandy skis in both formats.

Do you want to buy local or online? With local, of course, you get
shop support, which is great, but even more important if you're new to
the sport.

It's likely that all skis available new today are great values.
There's no outlandish high-end that you could accidentally walk into,
nor is there a crappy low-end you could drop off of.

But I'm outta the current market loop. For instance, if you're after a
known bargain brand, I recall that Visu was a high end ski brand at a
lower price -- I recall that the company made the major brand skis.
Like Giant is/was with bikes. Don't know if they're still out there or
available local to you. But we're only talking a $50-75 difference.
Skis often last 10 years of hard use so is that a relevant difference?

The standard way to save $50-100 (?) and still get a track race ski is
to get the "next-step-down ski," like the Fischer SCS, as the other
poster said. Can't go wrong there, if that's the type of ski you want.

Then there's the angle of a great current online sale. Like Jan
alerted us to the great Adidas all-round boots on ebay.uk and
Amazon.uk for a brief while for 45 British Pounds. That's like one-
third the cost of comparable boots. So quick bargains do pop up. But
sorry don't know of any right now.

--JP