Jackson (and Utah) mid-trip report

Old March 11th 05, 04:30 AM
lal_truckee

Default Jackson (and Utah) mid-trip report

Well, Jackson is skiing mid-spring, which just ain't right for 10,000
feet of mountain in the beginning of March, but what the hey - it's snow.

Chunky when frozen (or slick on the groomed when frozen) but softens up
real nice when the snow warms up. Groomers have that spring moment when
the surface is perfect, just before the skidders start piling it up in
clumps. Wife wiped on a clump up in Rendezvous and bent up her glasses
and broke her fan goggles(; my fault of course, although I know not
how.) Snow's a little sparse here and there, and the off piste is as
much about dodging rocks as laying tracks, but still enough to enjoy top
to bottom. Most everything is moguled up due to lack of recent
refreshment dumps. Only a regular (or someone who has stumbled into some
great days like I've done in the past) would really know that the Hole
has seen some better days, and would be quite satisfied with conditions,
which really are very decent.

Notes:
Just cause I'm greying up a trifle the ticket folks gave me
oldfogyrates, which saved a bundle. All I have to do now is avoid skiing
oldfogylines.

As I said earlier - they're giving away motel rooms - it's time to visit
if you're less than nouveau riche.

Going to spend another day in Jackson, then likely head for Utah. Unless
we don't. No point in overly planning this.

Old March 11th 05, 06:37 PM
Bryan

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Well, Jackson is skiing mid-spring, which just ain't right for 10,000 feet
of mountain in the beginning of March, but what the hey - it's snow.

Chunky when frozen (or slick on the groomed when frozen) but softens up
real nice when the snow warms up. Groomers have that spring moment when
the surface is perfect, just before the skidders start piling it up in
clumps. Wife wiped on a clump up in Rendezvous and bent up her glasses and
broke her fan goggles(; my fault of course, although I know not how.)
Snow's a little sparse here and there, and the off piste is as much about
dodging rocks as laying tracks, but still enough to enjoy top to bottom.

Notes:
Just cause I'm greying up a trifle the ticket folks gave me oldfogyrates,
which saved a bundle. All I have to do now is avoid skiing oldfogylines.

The fall, the bent glasses, the broken goggles ... of course it's your
fault! You're not new to this marriage thing, are you? Ours is not to
reason why. Ours is but to apologize, apologize, apologize. Then buy
jewlery.

And the old fogy rates? Just another argument against paying money to hide
the grey.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Old March 13th 05, 01:41 AM
yunlong

lal_truckee wrote:
Well, Jackson is skiing mid-spring, which just ain't right for 10,000

feet of mountain in the beginning of March, but what the hey - it's

snow.
Going to spend another day in Jackson, then likely head for Utah.

Unless
we don't. No point in overly planning this.

Not sure why you even go that far [if only for the skiing]. Here at
Sierra-Nevada mountains, spring skiing is making a full swinging to its
best.

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains cool, and the
moguls and slush powders are very skiable/turnable after the snow is
softened around midday.

Hot, bluebird days with cool breezes and fast snow, California spring
skiing is at its finest.

IS

Old March 13th 05, 02:13 AM
lal_truckee

yunlong wrote:

Not sure why you even go that far

For the hell of it. Why not?

Old March 13th 05, 06:11 PM
VtSkier

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains cool, and the
moguls and slush powders are very skiable/turnable after the snow is
softened around midday.

"Slush powders"? Pray tell, what is that?

Bob

In Vermont, if you can move it it's powder, if you
can't it's packed powder.

BTW it's WINTER here in Vermont. Skied the last two
days in heavy snow conditions. Freshies on every
run, total of probably 18" in last 48 hours. Sunny
bright, under 30 degrees here today.

VtSkier

Old March 13th 05, 06:45 PM
Black Metal Martha

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains cool, and

the
moguls and slush powders are very skiable/turnable after the snow

is
softened around midday.

"Slush powders"? Pray tell, what is that?

Bob

I don't know, I was at Sugarbowl yesterday and I sure didn't see any
powder. LOL!

Mt. Disney had the bes runs off it, though Juhad Bowl was quite nice in
the morning.

Martha

Old March 13th 05, 06:48 PM
Black Metal Martha

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains cool, and

the
moguls and slush powders are very skiable/turnable after the snow

is
softened around midday.

"Slush powders"? Pray tell, what is that?

I'm not sure if my first post went through, but I made a couple typos
anyway.

I was at Sugarbowl yesterday and didn't see any powder. LOL! My Disney
had the best runs of the day, but Mt. Judah was good in the morning.

Martha

Old March 13th 05, 07:43 PM
yunlong

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains
cool, and the moguls and slush powders are very
skiable/turnable after the snow is softened around midday.

"Slush powders"? Pray tell, what is that?

The spring powder/snow before it turns into the corn snow?

IS

Bob

Old March 13th 05, 07:43 PM
yunlong

lal_truckee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Not sure why you even go that far

For the hell of it. Why not?

Too much driving for those crappy snows, while your home turf skiing is
at excellent condition?

The superpipe at the high roller terrain park, Heavenly is in perfect
condition, and you can make a 7min/lap on single line on Canyon lift,
even with the weekend crowds.

IS

Old March 13th 05, 10:42 PM
pigo

"yunlong" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Though daytime temperature reaches 70+, the snow remains
cool, and the moguls and slush powders are very
skiable/turnable after the snow is softened around midday.

"Slush powders"? Pray tell, what is that?

The spring powder/snow before it turns into the corn snow?

But it takes days or a weeks for powder to turn to good (real) corn
and it has to sit untouched for that to happen. And even fake
(groomed) corn has to freeze and thaw to get good. And if they don't
groom that **** it's like skiing small appliances.

Are you talking about the sport where you attach a couple of sticks
to your feet with specialized boots? Or is there some new thing out
there plagiarizing the lingo?

pigo