Jay T's Big Saturday Workout - 50K Club Report 8-23,24-03

Old August 24th 03, 07:05 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Jay T's Big Saturday Workout - 50K Club Report 8-23,24-03

Saturday, August 23rd: Bill Stuber and I attacked the famed Afton
Hills on our classic rollerskis. The Saint Croix Valley was at its
best with blue skies and perfect temps in the 70sF. We climbed 15th,
the south 71 hill and then went into Afton. From there, we cruised up
the monstrous Coulee and conquered the 1st 50th, Odell, 2nd 50th and
North 71 climbs. Before the last big climb on 71, we came across Jerry
Engen. He was driving around in his pickup truck scouting his hunting
spots. He thinks he's going to be able to shoot his shotgun even
though he can't lift his left arm above the elbow and he needs a
crutch to walk. He showed us the long scar where the surgeon placed a
plate in his hip. If you remember, he crashed at the Firehouse 50 on
August 2nd. Bill and I continued on to Valley Creek and cruised back
to the vehicles. There were tons of bicyclists on the roads for the
Woodbury Days ride. The total time for the workout was 2 hours 15
minutes.

Sunday, August 24th: I finished wiring the cables on my Scatante road
bike in the morning. I got the frame from Supergo along with a Weyless
carbon fiber fork. I pieced the bike together with components
purchased on Ebay and Rec Bicycles Marketplace, mail order and local
shops. The components include Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic rims,
Ultegra brake calipers, 600 STI shifters/brake levers, 600 crankset,
Dura Ace 8 speed rear derailleur and Dura Ace front Derailleur,
Ritchey seatpost and stem, Cinelli handlebars and a WTB saddle. After
completing the bike, I took it on a ride to Jerry Engen's house in the
Saint Croix Valley. I rode into and out of the Mississippi Valley.
Then, I rode into the Saint Croix Valley where I stopped at Jerry's
house. No one was home so I turned around and went back. The total
time for the ride was 2 1/2 hours. Among the wildlife were many herons
and a red tailed hawk.

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"
Old August 25th 03, 11:46 AM
BeeCharmer

Sunday, August 24th: I finished wiring the cables on my Scatante road
bike in the morning.

Jay,

I was wondering what you thought of the ride on that frame. I have a
friend considering the carbon and haven't heard anything about their
ride quality yet.

chris
ne iowa
Old August 25th 03, 09:57 PM
J999w

We've had some awful winters and it seems people aren't going
to get excited about skiing until there's groomed snow on the ground

You think _you've_ got it bad?

At least you're usually within driving range of good snow !

Interesting topic though, I haven't seen ANY roller skiers on the Glacial
Drumlin trail down here in Waukesha county. Normally there are a few going all
year round.

jw
milwaukee
(stocking up on sun block)
Old August 26th 03, 01:55 AM
Jay Tegeder

I don't want to be responsible for the guys who rollerski down the
middle of the road... The group became monstrous in size and very hard
to control... Not that I'm trying to be a control freak... But if
someone is hit by a car, who do you think will get blamed... I'll get
my training in though and Wenner will be getting phone calls from
me...

Jay Tegeder
"Stick around this sport long enough and you'll beat everyone at least
once!" JT

(Sly D. Skeez) wrote in message . com...
(Jay Tegeder) wrote in message . com...
Saturday, August 23rd: Bill Stuber and I attacked the famed Afton
Hills on our classic rollerskis.

I'm impressed that the 50 km Club now has two members.

Ever since Jay quit doing the 50 km Club workouts, the turnout hasn't
been the same. You see, Jay knows everybody, and has everyone's
telephone number (along with age, Birkie place, ski brand, etc)
memorized, plus he also calls everyone to get the workouts going.
Without this input, it seems very few people are turning out for the
workouts. Last weekend I was the only one who showed up at Afton for
the 50 km ski on Sunday. Workouts at the Gateway trail were also low
in numbers.

That makes me wonder if Twin City masters in general are blowing off
skiing. We've had some awful winters and it seems people aren't going
to get excited about skiing until there's groomed snow on the ground
(in January) and races are actually run. (Check out the race calendar
for the past two years on skinnyski.com if you've forgotten. Basically
every race in the Midwest except about 1/weekend was cancelled.) I
know my conditioning is the worst it's been at this point in the
season since I moved to the Cities.

Is master skiing wilting in the Midwest? Or is it just me?

Jay Wenner

Old August 27th 03, 03:04 AM
Ilene Carpenter

"Sly D. Skeez" wrote:

That makes me wonder if Twin City masters in general are blowing off
skiing. We've had some awful winters and it seems people aren't going
to get excited about skiing until there's groomed snow on the ground
(in January) and races are actually run. (Check out the race calendar
for the past two years on skinnyski.com if you've forgotten. Basically
every race in the Midwest except about 1/weekend was cancelled.) I
know my conditioning is the worst it's been at this point in the
season since I moved to the Cities.

Is master skiing wilting in the Midwest? Or is it just me?

No, its not just you. I've never been a 50k clubber but I can
say that of the group of half a dozen women that i've been training
with in the Twin Cities for many years, almost all of us have done very
little rollerskiing this year compared to previous years. I can't speak
for them but I have a hard time getting motivated to train specifically
for ski racing these days since the last few winters have been had such
bad snow conditions. It just doesn't seem worth it. Instead, I spent
most
of the spring and summer training for my first marathon and now am
biking (the Chequamegon looms). I used to rollerski at least 2 or 3
times
a week from June on but this year I think i've only been out 5 or
6 times total and my ski specific conditioning (upper body strength)
is the worst its been in 7 or 8 years.

-Ilene Carpenter
Old August 27th 03, 05:58 PM
Bruce Fiedler

Ilene Carpenter wrote in message ...
"Sly D. Skeez" wrote:

That makes me wonder if Twin City masters in general are blowing off
skiing. We've had some awful winters and it seems people aren't going
to get excited about skiing until there's groomed snow on the ground
(in January) and races are actually run.

I think you hit it right on the nose. This summer I had good
intentions to hit the roller skiing over the summer. However, if
something else came along like a suggestion to go biking it is very
easy to say the heck with roller skiing. I know everyone that I have
talked to in the Twin Cities skiing community have put in less hours
on the rollerski's. I think and believe that with the fall coming
that there will be a lot of ski specific training occurring getting
ready for the race season, but that is only a guess. We all need to
train this fall, because if we don't we will sure S*#$ during the
races. I myself unfortunately can never get to the Sunday morning 50K
skis, but usually hit the route after church on Sunday. It amazing
the difference of traffic out there between Sunday's when the Vikings
play and when they don't. I will be hitting the hills starting this
Sunday. Have faith the ski community is still alive, just taking a
breather, with the National Masters coming in 2005 to the Twin Cities
again (?), their will be added incentive to get our butt's going.
Old August 27th 03, 06:15 PM
John O'Connell

Bruce,

Whats this about NM coming back to St. Paul...inquiring minds want to know

John OC

om...

Old August 28th 03, 11:34 AM
Tim Dudley

What's happening with the ski tunnel out there? When it's complete, can you
use it as a roller ski facility during the summer?

It also sounds as if you've got a good built-in motivational quote in
Minnesota: "The Masters are coming! The Masters are coming!"

Tim

From: (Jay Tegeder)
Newsgroups: rec.skiing.nordic
Date: 27 Aug 2003 16:51:37 -0700

This could be a big snow year so you might want to throw in some more
rollerskiing. Actually, another bad year or two would be good for Twin
Cities skiing... That way, more snow-making facilities might pop up...
However, I think the snow quantity goes in cycles. I just have a
feeling this could be a great snow year. Anyway, summers are short up
here in Minnesota so do tons of biking and hiking. Have fun. Then, in
the fall, start hammering on the rollerskis.

Old August 28th 03, 01:56 PM
Tim Dudley

Default roller skiing in the ski tunnel

Sigh. My apologies for the dumb suggestion. Yet more evidence that I
should never post before 8:00 in the morning.

Tim