Courchevel Child ski-school

Old November 12th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
LittleRob

Default Courchevel Child ski-school

We're off to Courchevel 1650 next year and taking the kids. I'm not sure
whether to enrol them at a ski-school in 1650 which will be easier in
the morning, or at 1800 which will make for a better liaison at
lunchtime (but be more of a pain first thing).

Anyone got any experience, or suggestions?

Also, when I looked at the ESF web-page I couldn't really figure out
what I need to book. I've got a 5 year old and an 8 year-old (well 7 for
part of the week we're away and 8 for the rest) and I want them to do
English language ski-school from 9:30 to 12:30

Ta

LR
Old November 12th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Le Dieu

"LittleRob" wrote in message
We're off to Courchevel 1650 next year and taking the kids. I'm not sure
whether to enrol them at a ski-school in 1650 which will be easier in the
morning, or at 1800 which will make for a better liaison at lunchtime (but
be more of a pain first thing).

Anyone got any experience, or suggestions?

Also, when I looked at the ESF web-page I couldn't really figure out what
I need to book. I've got a 5 year old and an 8 year-old (well 7 for part
of the week we're away and 8 for the rest) and I want them to do English
language ski-school from 9:30 to 12:30

Ta

LR

We've done ESF and Ski Supreme in Courchevel 1850. ESF have been good to
fantastic for adults but the kids really didn't like them. We went to Ski
Supreme for the last couple of years and the kids, 6 & 8, had a much better
time as most of their instructors are Scottish and a bit more in tune with
young English kids.

A. Dieu.

Old November 12th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:53:00 +0000, LittleRob
wrote:

We're off to Courchevel 1650 next year and taking the kids. I'm not sure
whether to enrol them at a ski-school in 1650 which will be easier in
the morning, or at 1800 which will make for a better liaison at
lunchtime (but be more of a pain first thing).

Anyone got any experience, or suggestions?

Also, when I looked at the ESF web-page I couldn't really figure out
what I need to book. I've got a 5 year old and an 8 year-old (well 7 for
part of the week we're away and 8 for the rest) and I want them to do
English language ski-school from 9:30 to 12:30

Ta

LR

Have you thought about BASS ?

www.britishskischool.com

Minumum of 3 per class, maximum 6.

I used them in Les Gets with my then 6 year old. By day 2 he could
ski all the blue runs in Les Gets. End of the week he was on easy
reds and all the blues in Morzine. Started off a group of four and
two dropped out.

He finished the week Junior Silver Standard.

Stan
Old November 12th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
LittleRob

Le Dieu wrote:

We've done ESF and Ski Supreme in Courchevel 1850. ESF have been good to
fantastic for adults but the kids really didn't like them. We went to Ski
Supreme for the last couple of years and the kids, 6 & 8, had a much better
time as most of their instructors are Scottish and a bit more in tune with
young English kids.

A. Dieu.

Thank for the reply. I wasn't too bothered about the actual ski-school
because I'd heard good things about pretty much all of them. It was
mostly the 1650-1800 issue that I can't decide about. That and the fact
that the ESF web-site (like almost all French websites I find) is a
dogs-dinner.

I'll have a google for ski-supreme.

Rob
Old November 12th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
LittleRob

Stan Mullery wrote:
Have you thought about BASS ?

www.britishskischool.com

Minumum of 3 per class, maximum 6.

I used them in Les Gets with my then 6 year old. By day 2 he could
ski all the blue runs in Les Gets. End of the week he was on easy
reds and all the blues in Morzine. Started off a group of four and
two dropped out.

He finished the week Junior Silver Standard.

Stan

Stan

Thanks for the info. The problems with BASS are that:

a) They don't say where in Courchevel they are based

b) The lessons are only 2 hours, so it seems that we'd have barely left
the kids and we'd have to pick them up again. This might be OK perhaps
next year when they can do a bit more, but I think that this year
(especially with a 5 year old) that we really wouldn't get to ski all
that much.

Rob
Old November 12th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ParalyticSkiCrazie

On Nov 12, 3:52 pm, LittleRob wrote:
Stan Mullery wrote:
[...]

I would try New Generation - they are the biggest English Ski School
out there with a brilliant reputation. The problem you may have is
getting the kids up to 1850 for the start of the lessons from 1650
depending on when the lifts open. New Gen have lessons in both
resorts. Give them a ring and ask the question - the office is open
now. Here is the website address:

http://www.skinewgen.com/

My son is going to be doing the GAP Instructor Course with them this
winter - skiing definitely gets more expensive as they get older!!

Jacqui

Old November 12th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:53:00 +0000, LittleRob wrote:

We're off to Courchevel 1650 next year and taking the kids. I'm not sure
whether to enrol them at a ski-school in 1650 which will be easier in
the morning, or at 1800 which will make for a better liaison at
lunchtime (but be more of a pain first thing).

Anyone got any experience, or suggestions?

Also, when I looked at the ESF web-page I couldn't really figure out
what I need to book. I've got a 5 year old and an 8 year-old (well 7 for
part of the week we're away and 8 for the rest) and I want them to do
English language ski-school from 9:30 to 12:30

Ta

LR

I can not comment on ski schools for children. On Courchevel itself ski
schools from all over the resort tend to take their classes over to Monriond because
it is much quieter than the central area of the resort Courchevel 1760 (You would
think the French trade descriptions act would have something to say about 1850).
So if your children are skiing 1650 would be best for them. However for the youngest
children resorts have fenced off snow fun areas and this is likely to be larger and
better equipped in 1850, I have not stayed in Courchevel for several years so I do
not know what is there.

Old November 13th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Stan Mullery wrote:
[...]

2 hours is a pretty long time at that age - any more and they are
going to be shattered and far more likely to get the hump and decide
that they hate skiing - which will restrict your ski time even more
longer term...

Old November 13th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:52:45 +0000, LittleRob
wrote:

Stan Mullery wrote:
[...]

First thing. It's a holiday. If the kids are happy, you'll be happy.
If they're miserable and half way through don't want to ski......

There's a reason why kid's beginners lessons are short. Kids don't
have the attention span or stamina. I used Ski Famille in Les Gets
for my first time with kids because they included childcare. They
would take kids to ski school, collect them, and then provide
activities until 5 pm. After three days my 5 year old was capable
enough to ski after lunch for about three hours. All easy runs and he
enjoyed himself. Before lunch was grown up ski time.

In this day and age of the internet no one seems to use the telephone
any more. A call to BASS, or any other UK operator, will get you
further than relying on their website. You never know how many others
want the same as you at the same place and same time.

Give them the ski bug this time and you'll have a jifetime of
expensive winter hols to look forward to.

Stan
Old November 13th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Nov 13, 8:38 am, wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:52 pm, LittleRob wrote:

b) The lessons are only 2 hours, so it seems that we'd have barely left
the kids and we'd have to pick them up again. This might be OK perhaps
next year when they can do a bit more, but I think that this year
(especially with a 5 year old) that we really wouldn't get to ski all
that much.

Rob

2 hours is a pretty long time at that age - any more and they are
going to be shattered and far more likely to get the hump and decide
that they hate skiing - which will restrict your ski time even more
longer term...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah - have to say I agree with this. Ease them in slowly so they
don't hate it and it pays off for you in the long run (probably not
very long at that). I always quote the experience of my nieces (4 and
6 at the time) who came to visit a couple of seasons ago. They had
maybe one or two hours tops on the nursery slopes with me and Auntie.
The rest of the time we all ate, drank, sledged, rode horses, ice
skated, made snowmen and played in doors. The next week at school all
the other children of their ages that had been skiing had hated it
(too cold, too wet, too much like hard work) and never wanted to go
back whilst my nieces woudn't shut up about how great the Alps were.

Okay, so their parents aren't keen skiers, and we didn't mind taking
time out as 1 week in 22 is hardly a sacrifice, but I still think it
illustrates a point. Don't think 'ski holiday' think 'holiday in the
snow'.

I'm about to do a season with my (currently) 8 week old boy, so I
reserve the right to change my mind completely in May..!!!

Matt