Concept2 ski machine

Old October 3rd 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
polarpoler

Default Concept2 ski machine

I can't recall if this came up before, but have any of you used the
Concept2 ski machine?

http://www.skierg.com/
Old October 4th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ecarr

I purchased one last winter after coming across it on some xcski
centric blog. I think it is awesome. I have always had a hard time
finding time to train my upper body for skiing (running and biking
being my normal options). The skierg helped a lot last winter and I
had a better Birkie time than expected (even factoring the crazy fast
conditions), with more focused upper body training.

Think it is now a little cheaper than when I purchased it with a
discount being offered.

I have not really done a lot of the online community stuff, but there
is a small active skierg community that regularly competes (or
compares) times for standard distances. It is nice to have a
consistent test of fitness, without the variables you find outdoors
with roller skiing or other. Nice plus if you like that type of
community support. And like tracking yourself precisely across a
season and across seasons. Also did not realize how active the rowing
community was until I saw their forums.

WIth regards to the physical construction, it is top notch. I got the
PM4 and stand. I was also really impressed by the packing of the unit
for shipping and the instructions on putting it together. It is a
really well thought out and well designed product. It inspires
confidence when they did a lot of the little things right.

Zero complaints, other than I wish I had more time to train with
it ...

Old October 5th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ro

The machine looks awesome. However, I would have a second check at the
following machine before buying one:
http://www.thoraxtrainer.com/

Rock
Old October 8th 10, 10:20 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
The machine looks awesome. However, I would have a second check at the
following machine before buying one:
http://www.thoraxtrainer.com/

Rock
Wow, Thorax looks AWESOME. Already though, I fear it may be undersized. I am 6'4" and use 175 poles when on regular shoes I suppose. I might run out of "track", judging from the video?
No prices?
EDIT - found it, 40,000 Kroner, being €5000, being $8000.

I have been planning to buy the SkiErg earlier this year. Just couldn't get over the cost. Have been thinking of buying a cheaper rower and bolting it to the wall. Anyone ever tried that? I suppose it will depend greatly on the model to which extent that might work, but it might be a long shot for a poor man's double poling machine?

Last edited by Jan Gerrit Klok : October 8th 10 at 10:24 PM.
Old October 15th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

I have used a Concept rower propped upright as a double-pole machine.
It is far from ideal (you get chain-grease on your nose if you don't
remember to keep your head to the side), but you can do it, and you
also have a rowing machine if you do it that way. If you get the
SkiErg, then you only have a poling machine - though a much superior
poling machine.
I would guess that Concept's ergometry is much superior to that of
cheaper brands.
The Thorax looks like it would be much more specific than the SkiErg,
but I'm not paying $8k.
Hugh

--
Jan Gerrit Klok

Old October 29th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
PatCote[_2_]

I use one and think that it is incredible. I also know that almost
all of the top collegiate and club teams in New England are using
them. Just check out results from their upcoming World Championships
(folks race from their home/club skiergs and send in their times) to
see just how many people are training on these.

Old November 27th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

On Oct 29, 7:14*am, PatCote wrote:
I use one and think that it is incredible. *

Pat,

Could you say a bit more about the biomechanics of the machine (how it
feels compared with real double-poling), and how it feels on your
back?

I'm coming from experience on the rowing ergometer, which, over time,
started feeling less and less like rowing on the water and started
really irritating my lumbar (I always assumed because of the much more
sudden "catch" compared with being on water). The "slides" they offer
for the ergs helped a bit, but hard to imagine how you could do that
with the SkiErg.

Thanks,

Jon