Going from not enough

Old January 5th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Going from not enough

to too much in the next 24.

Two storms in the next two days, EACH forecast to dump 30-40 inches. If
it really does dump like that, we're approaching 1982 scenarios.

I don't envy the avalanche crews - it's going to be a mess. They won't
be able to ski their ridge routes tossing charges (high winds,) and the
avilauncher drifts too much in high wind to hit the trigger zones, so
they'll have to depend on blind firing the howitzers to punch through
the blizzard to protect the base area, which means no one will really
have any idea what's stable and what's not when they can get up the
mountain for hand control.

BTW, Alpine also controls the access road, since the county doesn't have
the capability. Which regularly means some of the triggered slides
stretch far enough to cross the road and punch in garage doors, etc.
Which then means some of the duffuses who built/bought in an avalanche
slide path try to sue Alpine for damages. If Alpine just left it alone
one winter an avalanche would sweep all those houses away and make it moot.

Old January 6th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated, rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 4, 6:38 pm, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Sierra on-line snowfall sensors:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/curren...OwensMono.html

Old January 6th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated, rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

[...]

Online snowfall monitors:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/curren...OwensMono.html