How come...

Old October 27th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

Default How come...

The Germans don't have a good alpine team? I know they excel at the boreal
biathlon (X-country and marksmanship).

Old October 28th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

Mike wrote:
The Germans don't have a good alpine team?

Why aren't there very many Olympic class alpine skiers from the US
midwest? Maybe lack of mountains has something to do with it?

I know they excel at the boreal
biathlon (X-country and marksmanship).

You don't need mountains for either of those pursuits.

//Walt

Old October 28th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

"Walt" wrote in message
Maybe lack of mountains has something to do with it?

I've never been to Germany, but I thought the Alps extended into that
country. That being why they call south Germany, High German and north
Germany low German.

Of course, broadcaster's jinx: now that I say they're not competitive, it'll
be the year of the German sweep...

Where is the center of AX-country training in Germany?

Old November 3rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

Mike wrote:
"Walt" wrote

Maybe lack of mountains has something to do with it?

I've never been to Germany, but I thought the Alps extended into that
country.

Yeah, sort of.

See:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/38re8d

You can see the Alps pretty clearly from this Sattelite view. They span
Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and France; Germany basically
ends where the Alps begin. Yes, there are real mountains along
Germany's souther border, but most of the country is not what you'd call
mountainous.

Old November 3rd 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Mike wrote:
"Walt" wrote

Maybe lack of mountains has something to do with it?

I've never been to Germany, but I thought the Alps extended into that
country.

Yeah, sort of.

See:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/38re8d

You can see the Alps pretty clearly from this Sattelite view. They span
Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and France; Germany basically
ends where the Alps begin. Yes, there are real mountains along
Germany's souther border, but most of the country is not what you'd call
mountainous.

Pretty mountainous around Hitler's Eagles Nest - the Berchtesgaden area
near the Austrian boarder and Saltsberg.

I went down in the Eagles Nest bunkers about 35 years ago - interesting.

Later that trip hooked up with an American chick in Greece for a few
weeks of hanky panky. Turned out her father had liberated the Eagle's
Nest and scored some swastika bearing gold place settings which her
family had used for special dinners. Lots of coincidences in this small
world.

Old November 4th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

"Walt" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
The Germans don't have a good alpine team?

Why aren't there very many Olympic class alpine skiers from the US
midwest?

Not many, only some of the best:
- Lindsey Kildow - MN
- Kaylin Richardson - MN
- Kristina Koznick - MN (retired)

Up and comers...
- Sterling Grant - WI

There have been others in the past.

These racers typically develop as very strong technical skiers (SL). Some
stay there (Koz), but as we've seen, the trend seems to be skiers training
to become good all around racers - that is where the mountains come in. You
need that vertical drop for the speed events - not for the technical events.
Look at where they came from: Buck, Hyland Hills, and Trollhaugen/Wild Mt.
Unfortunately, as they come on as all around racers (get better in speed
events) their SL suffers.

Maybe lack of mountains has something to do with it?

No. Lack of cash. The most important thing for developing ski racers is
(of course) lots and lots and lots of COLD HARD CASH. There are so many
athletic kids out there that will never have the opportunity to develop into
the ski racer inside of them.

Actually, you need four things:
1. Cash - lots of cash.
2. An adult family memeber with the interest, money, and time to promote
the sport within. It helps is both mom and dad are into it. Else, there
will be conflicts within the family over the time and cash being thrown at
the sport.
3. Access. You have to live near an area that has a good training program.
4. The kid has to want it.
--
Marty