Oslo snow conditions.

Old March 26th 10, 09:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Colin Blackburn

Default Oslo snow conditions.

Is there anyone from Norway and particularly Oslo here? Next week, April
4th onwards, I'm spending a week in Kvitavatn on a Snowsport England
training week. Before going out to Kvitavatn I have pretty much a whole
day in Oslo. What are the trail conditions around Oslo? In particular
are there any good trails around Gardermoen as that's where my hotel is
for the night of the 3rd. Are there any websites with up-to-date trail
info?

Cheers,

Colin
Old March 27th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Mar 26, 2:19*am, Colin Blackburn wrote:
Is there anyone from Norway and particularly Oslo here? Next week, April
4th onwards, I'm spending a week in Kvitavatn on a Snowsport England
training week. Before going out to Kvitavatn I have pretty much a whole
day in Oslo. What are the trail conditions around Oslo? In particular
are there any good trails around Gardermoen as that's where my hotel is
for the night of the 3rd. Are there any websites with up-to-date trail
info?

Cheers,

Colin

I from the States, not Norway, but here's a Norwegian website to check
for Oslo ski conditions:
http://www.skiforeningen.no/

Today 27 Mars is gray and wet:
http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showf.cgi

Click on an area such as vestmarka and you can see the trail
conditions.

Edgar
Old March 28th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Colin Blackburn wrote:

Is there anyone from Norway and particularly Oslo here? Next week, April
4th onwards, I'm spending a week in Kvitavatn on a Snowsport England
training week. Before going out to Kvitavatn I have pretty much a whole
day in Oslo. What are the trail conditions around Oslo? In particular
are there any good trails around Gardermoen as that's where my hotel is
for the night of the 3rd. Are there any websites with up-to-date trail
info?

http://skiforeningen.no/

Terje
Old March 29th 10, 08:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:

Is there anyone from Norway and particularly Oslo here? Next week,
April 4th onwards, I'm spending a week in Kvitavatn on a Snowsport
England training week. Before going out to Kvitavatn I have pretty
much a whole day in Oslo. What are the trail conditions around Oslo?
In particular are there any good trails around Gardermoen as that's
where my hotel is for the night of the 3rd. Are there any websites
with up-to-date trail info?

http://skiforeningen.no/

I just got the weekly newsletter from that website, seems they plan to
have a big ski tour on April 17. :-)

Anyway, what has happened during the last weeks is that the perfect
conditions we had everywhere, including downtown in the parks, have now
been limited to the higher areas, but you should definitely be able to
find some skiing not too far from Gardermoen (that is the home area of
Bjørn Dæhlie after all!). :-)

Terje
Old March 29th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Colin Blackburn

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for the links and info, it is much appreciated.

If anyone has a direct link to maps for any trails originating in
Gardermoen or Nannestad it would be great to have that. So far the maps
I have found by googling and trying to follow links in Norwegian have
tended to be the area a little to the west of Gardermoen. Though the
hotel assures me there are trails less than 200m from there so I'll
probably just suck it and see.

Colin
Old March 30th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Colin Blackburn wrote:
If anyone has a direct link to maps for any trails originating in
Gardermoen or Nannestad it would be great to have that. So far the maps
I have found by googling and trying to follow links in Norwegian have
tended to be the area a little to the west of Gardermoen. Though the
hotel assures me there are trails less than 200m from there so I'll
probably just suck it and see.

The closest big trailhead would probably be Eltonåsen:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showpoi.cgi?id=871

The trails starting here have been groomed lately:

http://maps.google.no/?q=http://www....pestatus/8.kml

This is about 10 mins drive from the airport, but it seems very likely
that there are some local trails much closer. The main issue would be
which hotel you're staying at, since the airport runways go on both
sides of the airport area, leaving little room for trails.

Terje
Old March 31st 10, 08:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Colin Blackburn

Terje Mathisen wrote:

The closest big trailhead would probably be Eltonåsen:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showpoi.cgi?id=871

The trails starting here have been groomed lately:

http://maps.google.no/?q=http://www....pestatus/8.kml

This is about 10 mins drive from the airport, but it seems very likely
that there are some local trails much closer. The main issue would be
which hotel you're staying at, since the airport runways go on both
sides of the airport area, leaving little room for trails.

Thanks. The hotel is the other side of the airport at,

Gardermovegen 42, 2030 Nannestad, at the northern-ish end of the runways.

It looks from the satellite images that there are some woodland tracks
right by the hotel.I don't know whether these are groomed for skiing.

Colin
Old March 31st 10, 09:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Colin Blackburn wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote:

The closest big trailhead would probably be Eltonåsen:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showpoi.cgi?id=871

The trails starting here have been groomed lately:

http://maps.google.no/?q=http://www....pestatus/8.kml

This is about 10 mins drive from the airport, but it seems very likely
that there are some local trails much closer. The main issue would be
which hotel you're staying at, since the airport runways go on both
sides of the airport area, leaving little room for trails.

Thanks. The hotel is the other side of the airport at,

Gardermovegen 42, 2030 Nannestad, at the northern-ish end of the runways.

It looks from the satellite images that there are some woodland tracks
right by the hotel.I don't know whether these are groomed for skiing.

You're right, there's an obvious trail just north of the residential
area west of your hotel, _someone_ must have skied there this winter. :-)

Terje
Old April 2nd 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Colin Blackburn wrote:
Thanks. The hotel is the other side of the airport at,

Gardermovegen 42, 2030 Nannestad, at the northern-ish end of the runways.

It looks from the satellite images that there are some woodland tracks
right by the hotel.I don't know whether these are groomed for skiing.

Colin, we've had warm weather in the below-700 m areas during the last
week (I'm skiing at 900-1000 m, so no worries here, we're simply getting
a lot more snow.), but it might mean that conditions around Gardermoen
are going bad quite quickly. :-(

If you get in two days from now and find bad snow around the hotel, I
would suggest you consider taking the train into Oslo, then the tram
towards Holmenkollen and go skiing in the world cup trails.

If you would like to contact me directly, the email shown here is working.

Terje
Old April 12th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Colin Blackburn

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:
Thanks. The hotel is the other side of the airport at,

Gardermovegen 42, 2030 Nannestad, at the northern-ish end of the runways.

It looks from the satellite images that there are some woodland tracks
right by the hotel.I don't know whether these are groomed for skiing.

Colin, we've had warm weather in the below-700 m areas during the last
week (I'm skiing at 900-1000 m, so no worries here, we're simply getting
a lot more snow.), but it might mean that conditions around Gardermoen
are going bad quite quickly. :-(

If you get in two days from now and find bad snow around the hotel, I
would suggest you consider taking the train into Oslo, then the tram
towards Holmenkollen and go skiing in the world cup trails.

Terje, thanks for you advice. In the end I did drop down in to the city
after breakfast and took the "metro" (actually a bus replacement service
due to that line being modernised) up to the end of the line above
Holmenkollen. After klistering my skis I managed 90 minutes of skiing
before realising that my binding was loose! So, I retired back to the
city centre and did a bit of touristy stuff.

One great thing about Oslo: some of the left luggage lockers at the
central station are designed to take XC skis.

I got my binding repaired at Kvitvatn and had a great week's skiing up
in that area. It was warm but most days the skiing was great if a little
variable though the day. Lots of good skating practice on the frozen
lakes and miles of great classic tracks with stunning views.

Colin