Does Such a Ski Exist?

Old July 29th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jack O

Default Does Such a Ski Exist?

I'm looking for advice on skis to demo this year for the kind of
skiing that I do. I'm 53 years old and started skiing 5 years ago. I
ski about 20 days per year, mostly in Utah - Alta, Snowbird, Brighton
& Solitude.

I ski with some buddies from my ski club, who are mostly better skiers
than I am. I ski almost exclusively on single-black ungroomed runs.
While I do encounter some deep snow, I spend a lot of time in tracked
bumps with at least some powder component. I skis relatively slowly
through the bumps, picking my way, not blasting through them. This is
what I like to do.

I own a pair of 170cm Rossignol Bandit B1's that I bought when I began
skiing 5 years ago, and have been on them since. I would like to buy
a new pair of skis this year that will enhance my experience in this
type of snow, and perhaps help me to advance a bit.

Can you suggest some skis that I might demo on my first trip out this
year? Something like a K2 Apache Xplorer seems to fit in some ways -
mid-fat and reasonable turn radius, but I have heard that I should be
looking at a "softer" ski. Should I be looking more at "front-side"
skis because I spend much time in the bumps? What length? Any advice
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
Old July 29th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jack O

By the way...I'm 5' 10" and 170 lbs.

Jack

Old July 29th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

I am 55 185 lbs been skiing 50 yrs. I really prefer an all mountain ski for
the kind of skiing you describe. Rossignol are good. My favorite bar none
Atomic Metrons..easy turing pretty good in the slow bumps and good in powder
also. And do they carve carve carve....at medium speeds, a real treat and
easy....

Old July 29th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Stuart wrote:
I am 55 185 lbs been skiing 50 yrs. I really prefer an all mountain ski for
the kind of skiing you describe. Rossignol are good. My favorite bar none
Atomic Metrons..easy turing pretty good in the slow bumps and good in powder
also. And do they carve carve carve....at medium speeds, a real treat and
easy....

Be careful.

I own and heart my Metrons completely. However the
'flavor' Metrons I have are M11-B5 from two years ago.
These are heavy (the worst part is carrying them to
the lift) and some say unforgiving. I tend to go for
skis which are stiff. This is probably due to my size
and weight. I'm 6' tall and weigh 215 and am 66
years old(quiet Horvie).

A few years ago I had Volkl 6 Stars and thought they
were wimpy when others thought they were a handful.

Metrons are a full line of All Mountain Skis. You
will probably like some of them and dislike others.

There are other skis which are outstanding and will
do nicely what you desire. Salomon X-wing line comes
to mind.

Now, I occasionally (not nearly enough) ski your western
mountains. By my handle, you can see I generally ski
eastern ice (scratch that) hardpack. When I get out
to your high mountains and 'real' snow, it seems to
matter little what is on my feet. At Mt Baker, I stop
at the Glacier Ski Shop and rent high end Salomons and
love them (I've quit lugging my skis across the country).

At Tahoe, I rent junk ($9.95 per day) rental slabs and
find those quite adequate except when going gets 'firm'.

Length? I use 170's most of the time. I have a pair of
159's for spring conditions. For your size and weight,
I wouldn't get anything bigger than 165.

Old July 29th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Jack O wrote:
I'm looking for advice on skis to demo this year for the kind of
skiing that I do. I ski almost exclusively on single-black ungroomed runs.
While I do encounter some deep snow, I spend a lot of time in tracked
bumps with at least some powder component. I skis relatively slowly
through the bumps, picking my way, not blasting through them. This is
what I like to do.

You don't go fast or ski on hardpack. So you don't need a stiff ski
with lots of edge grip for carving high speed turns on the hard, you
want something soft that can be slid around the bumps, crud, and junk
and that has floatation for the powder.

Look at the K2 XPlorer, the Volkl Gotama, the Dynastar Mythic Rider
along with a newer version of the Rossi Bandit. You should also demo a
couple of twin-tips like the Dynastar Trouble Maker or Salomon TenEighty.

The important thing is Demo demo demo. It's your opinion that matters,
not anybody else's.

//Walt

Old July 29th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

Length? I use 170's most of the time. I have a pair of
159's for spring conditions. For your size and weight,
I wouldn't get anything bigger than 165.

Heh

Old July 29th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

VtSkier wrote:

I own and heart my Metrons completely. However the
'flavor' Metrons I have are M11-B5 from two years ago.
These are heavy (the worst part is carrying them to
the lift) and some say unforgiving. I tend to go for
skis which are stiff. This is probably due to my size
and weight. I'm 6' tall and weigh 215 and am 66
years old(quiet Horvie).

I ski the cascades and also find that stiff, heavy
and short skis like the K2 recon are a good compromise.
On powder days, everything is so easy that
I seem to forget about the skis
-- until I have to schlep them to the car, that is.

Stuart wrote:

Can you suggest some skis that I might demo on my first trip out this
year? Something like a K2 Apache Xplorer seems to fit in some ways -
mid-fat and reasonable turn radius, but I have heard that I should be
looking at a "softer" ski.

The recons bend well enough in the bumps.
I find soft skis intolerable when the snow
warms up a bit. But don't listen to me.
Keep your Bandits until demo day and try everything for yourself.

-- Mike Treseler
Old July 29th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jack O

Thank you all for your thoughts. I think I have an idea now of what
to try out. December in the Cottonwood Canyons isn't that far away...

Jack

Old July 30th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

I have the M3 168 cm. Not too heavy. I did have Salomon EWquipe GS but was
very disappointed in their logevity. I treated them nicely and one went dead
at two seasons.
The Volkyl line of all mountain skis are also excellent but pricey. I laso
liked my old crud cutters the Volant Epic T6 but the top cover blew off.