Tahoe Trip

Old March 24th 04, 03:58 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default Tahoe Trip

Hey now,

Back East after a week in the tropics..I mean Tahoe And I told ya
it would snow back east while I was gone!

Temps were either side of 70 everday, pretty much bluebird as well. Got
down to either side of freezing at night. Pretty much had to stay
on the groomers in the early going. They had about 5' ten days prior
and that stuff made some interesting riding in the afternoon.. kinda like
riding a big slurpy.

Started out with Homewood, great lake views, virtually empty and $25.
Have to say they also had the most attention to the customers - lift
operators always out tending to the ramps and the very nice touch of
water coolers and cups at the lift.

Went to Alpine twice and have to say of the north shore areas its my
favorite. Seems to have the best variety of terrain, bunch of nice
bowls, pretty relaxed.

Finally went to Squaw, wasn't that impressed, but certainly conditions
didn't help. IMHO its a place for either really good riders who are
doing lots of cliffs and chutes and what not, or really beginners. Theres
just not that much inbetween. Best stuff we were doing was off the
Granite Chair.

Finished up with SugarBowl. I'd like to go back there when conditions
are good, especially for a powder day. Sadly I was a little girl going
down Disney Nose and bailed off to the side to skip the steep bumps on
top. Was just played out after 5 days.

All in all a good trip. I might have some video of it online at some
point too.

Old March 25th 04, 11:41 PM
jaycb74

Yeah, last week sure was warm. Glad you liked Homewood, that place on a
powder day is awesome, tree runs all over the mtn. And the vibe there is
right-on, I think you saw that...we pretty much ride there all the time but
don't tell anyone.

I use to be a big Alpine fan but over the past couple years have gotten
bored with the terrain. Now if the back bowl is open then Alpine is great
but I have such lousy luck with it that we haven't gone at all this season.

Suprised you found Squaw unimpressive, I love the mtn. just hate the crowds
so we will only go on a weekday. There is terrain there for everyone, just
guess you have to know where to look. I was there one day last week and we
found some great untouched slush faces, smooth, steep and very carvable.

Sugar Bowl is another fun mountain. Sounds like you had a good time, the
weather sure was great, my brother came down from Hood and we had a great
time all week.

Old March 28th 04, 12:19 AM
panther

Yeah, I like Homewood, especially at $25 / day on weekdays. They have
some respectable black diamond runs like Dutch Treat and Ivory face, and
a number of intermediate runs to fool around on. But at $44 / day on
weekends I wouldn't dream of going there when I can go to Sugar Bowl at
$39 and Alpine for that much, or soon, $99 for the whole spring.

I like Squaw pretty well, I've only gone night boarding there this year
and it totally sucked -- everything was frozen solid the minute the sun
went down. But I've got a couple of $10 off coupons for all day tickets
there if I can find someone to go with. One thing I don't like about
Squaw is they don't distinguish between diamond and double diamond runs,
so it's harder to tell from the map what you're getting into.

Anyone who's interested in boarding Tahoe, drop me a note!

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

[...]

Lake Tahoe area in April J.B. Memascii Snowboarding 3 January 15th 04 01:36 PM
Trip Report - Mt. Baker / Mt. Bachelor toddjb Snowboarding 10 January 5th 04 11:34 PM
Tahoe Snowboarding Question Kevin Harper Snowboarding 15 November 29th 03 06:37 PM
Tahoe Question Kevin General 2 November 25th 03 03:59 AM
Tahoe Dave Snowboarding 1 November 17th 03 03:30 PM