Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

Old May 11th 04, 04:48 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

That's what I want to know.

Where I live it's all flat to mildly rolling. When I get into ski races
my only annoying part are the steep ups where I can tell I just don't
have any familiarity with stepping each foot up a lot higher and
planting poles higher. I greatly enjoyed hills when I lived near them.
I'd like to do some kind of training that would get me ready for that
"lifting" aspect and the "pulling down" with the arms. I haven't quite
figured out how to on these here flats. Maybe some has an easy idea.
Stadium stairs aren't anywhere around and it's probably not easiest to
use poles on them anyway.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old May 11th 04, 07:51 PM
ML

Jeff Potter wrote:
[...]

Jeff:

Leash a tire to your belt with a long enough cord that it doesn't
interfere with your stride! You could vary the hill steepness by
selecting a larger heavier tire. A 2% grade may be approximated with a
MTB tire. A wall could be approximated with a seme-truck tire!

BTW, I haven't tried this, although I've considered carrying a larger
profile bike tire as a "drag brake" that I could throw out when I needed
to control my speed on downhills.

MOO,
Matt

Old May 11th 04, 10:46 PM
J999w

Don't eat and do lots of roller board to increase you're 'Gorilla' factor
(borrowing a term from Bill Koch).

jw
milwaukee
(doing my 'cut the grass' training)
Old May 12th 04, 12:36 PM
Jeff Potter

About increasing drag: I suppose this would increase my forward lean
but does this really simulate uphill effort? What I'd like to do is
simulate lifting the foot higher up the hill each time and planting
the pole in a higher place. It's the pulling the body vertically up
that I'm missing. Like, I ski around while pulling my heavy
tracksetter and that increases drag a lot but it still seems like it's
missing that uphill stuff. Oh well, I suspect it can't really be
simulated. Gotta just find a hill! --JP
Old May 12th 04, 02:23 PM
Ken Roberts

Right after skating up some big hills on snow in France, I came home and
tried some high-resistance rollerskis on flat pavement. And I was surprised
at how similar skating V1 on my Jenex 830 rollerskis felt to on-snow
hill-climbing.

Jeff Potter wrote:
What I'd like to do is simulate lifting the foot higher up the hill each

time

While direct vertical lifting is the obvious thing to worry about, lots of
people are getting beyond the simplistic physics and finding that it's more
effective to focus on _skating_ up the hill. Keep the skis gliding at an
angle out to the side as a way to control the "gearing" for uphill and to
engage non-obvious muscles. Even coming from the National team level (where
the racers have the strength to climb by direct vertical lifting any time
they wanted), I recall Vordenberg emphasizing the "skating" aspect in one of
his Master Skier articles.

I agree that the upward lift is difficult to simulate on flat land -- but I
observe:

(a) vertical lifting of the weight of the leg uses a lot of the same muscles
as the upward-lift (or upward-pull?) phase of a bicycling pedal-stroke.

(b) vertical lifting of weight of the upper body uses a lot of the same leg
muscles as the down-push phase of a bicycling pedal-stroke -- especially
when standing.

Ken

P.S. Don't get _too_ good at hill simulation, otherwise you'll lose your
excuse for not beating the guys who live in the middle of good ski-training
terrain.

Old May 12th 04, 04:01 PM
revyakin

Aero 150s, speed reducer on "4". Worked just fine for me when I lived
in central Jersey.
Old May 12th 04, 06:36 PM
jim farrell

Jeff Potter wrote:
About increasing drag: I suppose this would increase my forward lean
but does this really simulate uphill effort? What I'd like to do is
simulate lifting the foot higher up the hill each time and planting
the pole in a higher place. It's the pulling the body vertically up
that I'm missing. Like, I ski around while pulling my heavy
tracksetter and that increases drag a lot but it still seems like it's
missing that uphill stuff. Oh well, I suspect it can't really be
simulated. Gotta just find a hill! --JP

About uphill technique: we are no longer being taught to step up the
hill. Instead the emphasis is on pushing out to the side, much as you
would while v2. We worked on a quicker tempo, faster turn over (don't
glide long to avoid deceleration) and push to the side (to avoid the
dead stop the pushing ski experiences in too much stepping forward.) It
really works! One of those eureka! moments for me. The first session
we worked on it I already felt a dramatic improvement.

Jim Farrell

Old May 12th 04, 06:38 PM

Have you tried the up-ramp in a parking garage, at 4:30 AM when
it's not busy, on your rollerskis? 6 storeys X 10 X twice a week
and you should be all set come Sept., if you survive it.

Best, Peter
Old May 13th 04, 02:16 AM
Jeff Potter

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I'll work on it. I agree that there's less
stepping up, but there's still some and that part of me seems to get
tired since I can't do hills around here. --JP