Designer drug doping disaster?

Old October 23rd 03, 10:18 PM
taywood

Default Designer drug doping disaster?

The drug is THG, and the word I hear is that it was designed by a
supplements lab in Calfironia in conjunction with several (as yet
un-named) elite athletes and coaches.

And sold by the Lab with a 'reassurance' that it couldnt be detected.
UK news said it was a whistleblower who sent a sample to the
testing agency for them to formulate.

The UK racer trains with the above athletes and coaches, and now
claims he'd never knowingly take anything like that.
We've heard that before somewhere!
Of course we've only got the results of the A sample so far, but it
was found in his system.

Plus this news broke on the day Becky almost got the medal she's due.
Mike
Old October 24th 03, 07:22 AM
Janne G

pigo wrote:

At least one of the players in the current World Series are scheduled to
testify before some sort of Senate committee about these. They talked
about it a little bit last night. There were something on the order of
20 players in the 4 major US professional sports set to testify. They
mentioned some from Baseball and Football but I don't know who.

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G
Old October 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Walt

Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Forward in all directions

Can we take it to the Fridge?

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 24th 03, 02:21 PM
Jim Farrell

Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

Just saw a comedian (Izzard?) on Charlie Rose last night doing a routine
that went something like: "America is going to win the world series
again this year. In fact, America has won every world series for over a
century. What an amazing record"

I'll forgive the british comedian for forgetting toronto's WS victory . . .

Jim

Old October 24th 03, 02:29 PM
pigo

"Walt" wrote in message
Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US

that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't forget that there are also no other teams anywhere else in the
world that can compete. Our Basketball championships are called "World
Championships" too. You've seen what happens when the rest of the world
plays our basketball players. At this point I'd say that "World Series"
is legit. I don't care if the, Scottish for example, want to call their
log tossing thing a world championship. It probably would be if they're
the only ones tossing logs.

Great Series so far btw.

pigo

Old October 24th 03, 09:44 PM
Walt

pigo wrote:
"Walt" wrote
Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US

that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't forget that there are also no other teams anywhere else in the
world that can compete. Our Basketball championships are called "World
Championships" too. You've seen what happens when the rest of the world
plays our basketball players. At this point I'd say that "World Series"
is legit. I don't care if the, Scottish for example, want to call their
log tossing thing a world championship. It probably would be if they're
the only ones tossing logs.

Granted, Baseball is mostly a US sport, but I'd be interested in seeing
a series between the winner of the World Series and the Japanese
champion. I don't think the result would be a foregone conclusion.

To take another tack, in most sports that have a World Cup countries
field a national team of players from that country, even if those
players play professionally for a team outside their country of origin.
If we did it that way, you'd probably see the Hondouran team in the
finals. Maybe against the Cubans.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 25th 03, 12:49 AM
Tony Curran

It couldn't even be called the North American Series - there aren't any
Mexican based teams...

Tony
Ottawa

Old October 25th 03, 12:51 AM
Tony Curran

Just saw a comedian (Izzard?) on Charlie Rose last night doing a routine
that went something like: "America is going to win the world series
again this year. In fact, America has won every world series for over a
century. What an amazing record"

He forgets teh Blue Jays (not an American team) won it in 91 and 92 (or was
it 90 and 91?)

Tony

Old October 25th 03, 01:08 AM
The Real Bev

Janne G wrote:

pigo wrote:

At least one of the players in the current World Series are scheduled to
testify before some sort of Senate committee about these. They talked
about it a little bit last night. There were something on the order of
20 players in the 4 major US professional sports set to testify. They
mentioned some from Baseball and Football but I don't know who.

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

"We are the world...." Stevie Wonder and a whole lot of other singers
said so, so it must be true.

--
Cheers,
Bev