suggestions for my technique on video

Old March 9th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

Default new frontiers in slowness

Not all low-gear tricks are created equal.

I tried out "lagging" pelvis/hip rotation versus forward rotation, to see
how large a percentage slower was the lagging-backward move. Rubber wheels
on asphalt, climbing a hill around 7-8% steepness grade.

At first I hardly make myself do the move of lagging my non-pushing hip
lower behind the pushing hip. I've practiced the forward advance of the
non-pushing hip so many thousands of times for hundreds of hours in so many
contexts on and off snow, I barely knew how to move any other way (except
connected to bicycle).

But once I got into it, there seemed no doubt it felt slower. So I measured
the time climbing up that hill. Then I switched back to forward pelvis/hip
rotation and modified some other aspects, and to my surprise it was even
slower than backward. But then I said that if I applied those modifications
to lagging-rotation, that could be made even slower -- and indeed it was
like another 50% slower. Then another round of applying my maximum ingenuity
in making climbing with forward pelvis/hip rotation as slow as possible
while still retaining _some_ glide in each leg-stroke. So slow it was
getting really boring -- and interfering with car traffic on this
low-traffic road -- and I was getting cold because I wasn't exerting much
muscle mass fast enough.

So then I switched to lagging-rotation and applied those "maximum ingenuity"
slowness to achieve the ultimate:

side-to-side skating "track stand" on a hill

I kept making gliding-rolling skating moves, and each skate individually
rolled diagonally uphill -- but overall my body did not go up the hill.

(which probably cannot work with "normally" long skis on "normal" snow)

Ken