Royal Gorge sold

Old October 6th 05, 03:10 PM
sknyski

Default Royal Gorge sold

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/art...NEWS/110050024

For all you Royal Gorge lovers, ski it while you can....(though they
say they'll keep it as is).

On the flip side, if you've ever dreamed of buying a piece of land in
Soda Springs, this might be your shot.

bt

Old October 6th 05, 04:59 PM
Bob

ack! I guess we can stop holding our breath for the return of the Wilderness
Lodge. :-(
Bob

oups.com...

Old October 8th 05, 07:09 PM
JP(CA)

It goes to show that you can't stop progress. After all it is all
business.

The new owner (Foster) said "We plan on business as usual out there."
It always amaze me that in a buy-out or take-over deal the new owner
always say that. Of course we all know that nothing is going to be the
same. For example, months later after the new guy has enough time to
check things over then the massive layoff begins. I wouldn't be
surprised that Foster raises the pass fee!

Old October 9th 05, 09:14 AM

Foster raises the fee, people stop coming, b/c RG is the most expensive
place to ski already, and then Foster uses that as an excuse to close
the place and build a Great Soda Springs Mall.

Old October 14th 05, 04:55 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

This is from Noel Charonnat's Alpine Adventure Newsletter. Noel owned
the Sierra Nordic ski shop, which he's sold to some longtime ski
instructors (www.sierranordic.com).

ROYAL GORGE SOLD

"Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Resort, which brought downhill skiing
amenities to the primitive world of cross-country skiing nearly 35 years
ago, has been sold to a Bay Area development group.

John Slouber, who founded the resort in 1971, sold the property to Todd
Foster, his cousin Mark Foster, and Burlingame developer Kirk Syme.
Todd Foster is a partner in Foster Enterprises, which developed Foster
City just south of San Francisco International Airport. Foster
Enterprises owns office space in Silicon Valley as well as vacant land
that it plans to develop in Placerville, Corning and Oroville.

The resort's 204 miles of trails near the Soda Springs Ski Area wind
across 9,000 acres of meadow and mountains, 5,000 of them leased,
primarily from private landholders, Slouber said. The 4,000 acres that
were part of the sale have sparked speculation that the new owners plan
a real estate development." (quote from story by Clint Swett -
Sacramento Bee staff)

For the complete story in the Sacramento Bee (on 10/6/05), go to:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel...14516986c.html

This is a more detailed story than appeared in the 10/5 issue of
Truckee's Sierra Sun and the Bee site allows you to view the article
without having to register.

The link to the Sierra Sun's article is:
http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20051005/NEWS/51004004

In a personal conversation with John Slouber on October10, he confirmed
that he would be staying on as the manager of Royal Gorge this season.

In related news, Wilderness Lodge has yet to be re-built. Royal Gorge
hopes to start the construction next summer, in time for the 06/07
season. "Wildie" burned to the ground two years ago (on 10/30/03); the
cause was reportedly arson by an unknown local resident. The remaining
debris has been hauled away; but the site remains just level ground for
now. (If you are looking for a great ski vacation, perhaps our Norway
Tour this winter? And then the new Wilderness next winter?)

Opening day for Royal Gorge this season is scheduled (snow permitting)
for Saturday November 19. This fall, they have used a machine to
masticate the small trees and brush along their trail system, which
should allow them to open trails after the first decent snowfall.

Old October 16th 05, 07:21 PM
dardruba

Opening day for Royal Gorge this season is scheduled (snow permitting)
for Saturday November 19. This fall, they have used a machine to
masticate the small trees and brush along their trail system, which
should allow them to open trails after the first decent snowfall.

masticate ?

Is that a technical term from the trailsetters handbook?
Mike