You Can't Make it Up

Old January 31st 15, 11:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default You Can't Make it Up

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:59:33 -0600, comadrejo
wrote this crap:

pigo wrote:
On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 11:50:44 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:

It's a chance to ski Davos with someone else's money, something we
surely understand.

Really? I don't expect anyone else to pay for my choices to ski or anything else.

BTW, did that phony 1,700 number first reach you through FoxNews, or do
you also frequent other anti-news sources?

I think I got it from CNN. It's been widely reported. NBC is the most
"anti news" source I know of though.

Big dose of global warming set to hit the east coast this week too.

CNN also reported this...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/16/wo...-hottest-year/

I don't like people ****ing on my boots and telling me it's raining. I
like to do my own research. That's why I'm a scientist. I keep
hearing that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and it's increasing. I checked
on the spectrographic analysis and found that CO2 barely retains more
IR than Nitrogen. Nitrogen is 70% of the atmosphere, CO2 is 400ppm.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 31st 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

pigo wrote:
[...]

Atmospheric Nitrogen (N2) is pretty much transparent to IR. Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone. So be sure to wear sunscreen when you go to a dentist's party.
Old February 1st 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

pigo wrote:
[...]

Bzzt! Wrong answer. It's not. Show me where you got this
information. I'm willing to check this out. BTW, N2 is 70% of the
stuff you breathe and CO2 is 400ppm. For those of you who don't like
to do the math, you hire math majors like me to do it for you. N2 is
700,000ppm while CO2 is 400 ppm. Which one is worse?

Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas
than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone.

I already know this. This is correct by my scientific checking.

Not bad for a guy who plays the banjo.

Old February 1st 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

pigo wrote:
[...]

1. Nitrogen is nearly EIGHTY percent of the atmosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

2. Nitrogen is essentially NOT a greenhouse gas:

"Certain gases in the atmosphere have the property of absorbing
infrared radiation. Oxygen and nitrogen the major gases in the
atmosphere do not have this property."

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/globalwarmA5.html

"This ability to absorb and re-emit infrared energy is what makes CO2
an effective heat-trapping greenhouse gas. Not all gas molecules are
able to absorb IR radiation. For example, nitrogen (N2) and oxygen
(O2), which make up more than 90% of Earth's atmosphere, do not absorb
infrared photons. CO2 molecules can vibrate in ways that simpler
nitrogen and oxygen molecules cannot, which allows CO2 molecules to
capture the IR photons."

http://scied.ucar.edu/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

"While the dominant gases of the atmosphere (nitrogen and oxygen) are
transparent to infrared, the so-called greenhouse gasses, primarily
water vapor (H2O), CO2, and methane (CH4), absorb some of the infrared
radiation."

http://www.columbia.edu/~vjd1/greenhouse.htm

Is that enough, or must I beat you over the head with your own
deliberate ignorance for a while longer?

Too bad, so sad for you: wrong... ...again.

Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas
than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone.

I already know this. This is correct by my scientific checking.

Not bad for a guy who plays the banjo.

Correction: CLAIMS to play the banjo.

Old February 1st 15, 12:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:25:58 -0800, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

[...]

Oh yeah. There's different ways of vibrating. And that causes them
to absorb IR. And how does 400ppm let them absorb more IR than the
other 900,000ppm?

http://scied.ucar.edu/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

"While the dominant gases of the atmosphere (nitrogen and oxygen) are
transparent to infrared, the so-called greenhouse gasses, primarily
water vapor (H2O), CO2, and methane (CH4), absorb some of the infrared
radiation."

Actually H2O absorbs much more IR than CO2.

Old February 1st 15, 06:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

Atmospheric Nitrogen (N2) is pretty much transparent to IR.

Bzzt! Wrong answer. It's not. Show me where you got this
information. I'm willing to check this out. BTW, N2 is 70% of the
stuff you breathe and CO2 is 400ppm. For those of you who don't like
to do the math, you hire math majors like me to do it for you. N2 is
700,000ppm while CO2 is 400 ppm. Which one is worse?

Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas
than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone.

I already know this. This is correct by my scientific checking.

The only place I have found any claim about atmospheric nitrogen being a greenhouse gas is in your post. You are a scientific pioneer.
Old February 1st 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

[...]

The concentration of H2O in the atmosphere has been pretty much stable over the period of time when we could measure it. And it is self-limiting - when it gets high, it rains (or obski snows).

The effect of CO2 at 400 PPM is much stronger than the effect at 280 PPM, which is where it was before we started burning coal and oil so recklessly.
Old February 1st 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

[...]

I've provided my cites...

....let's see yours.

http://scied.ucar.edu/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

"While the dominant gases of the atmosphere (nitrogen and oxygen) are
transparent to infrared, the so-called greenhouse gasses, primarily
water vapor (H2O), CO2, and methane (CH4), absorb some of the infrared
radiation."

Actually H2O absorbs much more IR than CO2.

"(nitrogen...) ...[is] transparent to infrared".

Old February 1st 15, 07:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

Atmospheric Nitrogen (N2) is pretty much transparent to IR.

Bzzt! Wrong answer. It's not. Show me where you got this
information. I'm willing to check this out. BTW, N2 is 70% of the
stuff you breathe and CO2 is 400ppm. For those of you who don't like
to do the math, you hire math majors like me to do it for you. N2 is
700,000ppm while CO2 is 400 ppm. Which one is worse?

Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas
than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone.

I already know this. This is correct by my scientific checking.

The only place I have found any claim about atmospheric nitrogen
being a greenhouse gas is in your post. You are a scientific pioneer.

I posted a link to spectrometry results. You can clearly see the dark
line in the IR range. It's not my fault if you didn't click on it or
can't read the chart.

Old February 1st 15, 08:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

Atmospheric Nitrogen (N2) is pretty much transparent to IR.

Bzzt! Wrong answer. It's not. Show me where you got this
information. I'm willing to check this out. BTW, N2 is 70% of the
stuff you breathe and CO2 is 400ppm. For those of you who don't like
to do the math, you hire math majors like me to do it for you. N2 is
700,000ppm while CO2 is 400 ppm. Which one is worse?

Nitrous Oxide, on the other hand, is more powerful a greenhouse gas
than CO2, and also reduces atmospheric ozone.

I already know this. This is correct by my scientific checking.

The only place I have found any claim about atmospheric nitrogen
being a greenhouse gas is in your post. You are a scientific pioneer.

I posted a link to spectrometry results. You can clearly see the dark
line in the IR range. It's not my fault if you didn't click on it or
can't read the chart.

You posted no such link that I can see.

Give me a link to the post...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.skiing.alpine/FkxWdXbjrUU