A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Resorts near Geneva for three day ski break

Old January 13th 14, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Scott Whitehead
external usenet poster

Default Resorts near Geneva for three day ski break

I'm flying into Geneva for a short break at the beginning of February and can't make my mind up on which resort to choose. We only have two-and-a-half days at the most on the slopes so time is at a premium.

I've heard rumours that the building work at Geneva airport is having a detrimental effect on travelling through there - I could be wrong but I envisage problems such as hire car pick up delays etc.

I've heard good things about the ease of taking the train from there to Swiss resorts. I've been to Chamonix a couple of times but understand that the public transport there from Geneva is expensive and takes longer. I tried a couple of hotels but they are fully booked.

I'll be travelling Monday, 3rd Feb, returning on the Thursday. Obviously budget is a primary consideration - though with the time I'm there somewhere close to main lift would be preferable.

Any advice gratefully received

--

------------------------------
This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at
80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL. Registered in England and Wales with company
number 53723.
Ads
Old January 14th 14, 01:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:54:35 -0800 (PST), Scott Whitehead
wrote:

I'm flying into Geneva for a short break at the beginning of February and can't make my mind up on which resort to choose. We only have two-and-a-half days at the most on the slopes so time is at a premium.

I've heard rumours that the building work at Geneva airport is having a detrimental effect on travelling through there - I could be wrong but I envisage problems such as hire car pick up delays etc.

I've heard good things about the ease of taking the train from there to Swiss resorts. I've been to Chamonix a couple of times but understand that the public transport there from Geneva is expensive and takes longer. I tried a couple of hotels but they are fully booked.

I'll be travelling Monday, 3rd Feb, returning on the Thursday. Obviously budget is a primary consideration - though with the time I'm there somewhere close to main lift would be preferable.

If I understand you correctly you want a cheap slope-side hotel, with
last-minute vacancies and close to Geneva. Good luck!

In your position I'd be looking at the resorts closest to Geneva
(Morzine and satellites, Flaine and satellites, La Clusaz),
concentrating simply on finding somewhere I could afford to stay.
Nowhere is going to be that far from the piste, and once your hotel is
sorted you can arrange transport. Altibus has regular services from
Geneva airport to most of the resorts.

--
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk
Old January 14th 14, 10:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:54:35 -0800 (PST), Scott Whitehead
wrote:

You should also post in the Chalets and Apartments forum on Snowheads.
Someone's already had replies to a similar request to yours.

--
Colin Irvine
http://www.colinandpat.co.uk