SERRE-CHEVALIER in March?

Old January 23rd 04, 01:43 PM
toddjb

Default SERRE-CHEVALIER in March?

I was asked to join in on a group trip to snowboard in France
because it is a pretty good deal. Has anyone ever been to
SERRE-CHEVALIER (FRENCH SOUTHERN ALPS) in March? What are the
snow conditions typically like in mid-March? Lodging in Briancon.

I'm also a little concerned that maybe this isn't a good time
for an American to travel to France since there doesn't seem to
be a lot of love between the two countries these days.

I'm open to any advice on this. Not something I would have
worked to plan, but I have wanted to try snowboarding in Europe
and this seems like a good opportunity.

Thanks,
-todd
Old January 23rd 04, 07:54 PM
Drug Buddy

toddjb wrote:
I was asked to join in on a group trip to snowboard in France
because it is a pretty good deal. Has anyone ever been to
SERRE-CHEVALIER (FRENCH SOUTHERN ALPS) in March? What are the
snow conditions typically like in mid-March? Lodging in Briancon.

I'm also a little concerned that maybe this isn't a good time
for an American to travel to France since there doesn't seem to
be a lot of love between the two countries these days.

I'm open to any advice on this. Not something I would have
worked to plan, but I have wanted to try snowboarding in Europe
and this seems like a good opportunity.

Thanks,
-todd

I boarded at Serre a couple of seasons ago. Fantastic valley, huge piste and
backcoutry area, you couldn't possibly hit every hit if you took a full
season. Dunno what conditions are like right now but if it's a bit spase use
the free ski bus and head to the village at the other end of the valley from
Briancon which is at a much higher alt. In fact that's a pretty good
starting point - you can board all the way back to Briancon up and down the
side valleys and get an idea for sweet spots. As far as the US vs Frog situ
goes, it's no hassle, if the French are being a bit ****ty it's not much
worse than they usually are anyway, you'd be pushed to notice a difference
(I've worked on and off for them for 10 years) and all the bars are staffed
by non-French seasoners anyway.

Enjoy, I'll be lucky to catch more than a few days back home in Scotland.

Cheers, DB

Old January 24th 04, 09:22 AM
Han Solo (D)

I'm also a little concerned that maybe this isn't a good time
for an American to travel to France since there doesn't seem to
be a lot of love between the two countries these days.

well, the French like to speak their language (who doesn't).

So, if you can speak french, you will see that they are very nice people.
Anyway, if you only speak english, they will treat you as a tourist (which
is normally OK, too, but different...).

It's just that they only really get open when you speak their language.

Martin
Old January 24th 04, 10:14 AM
PG

"Han Solo (D)" wrote in message
.8...
| I'm also a little concerned that maybe this isn't a good time
| for an American to travel to France since there doesn't seem to
| be a lot of love between the two countries these days.
|
| well, the French like to speak their language (who doesn't).
|
| So, if you can speak french, you will see that they are very nice
people.
| Anyway, if you only speak english, they will treat you as a tourist
(which
| is normally OK, too, but different...).
|
| It's just that they only really get open when you speak their
language.

| Martin

Or putting it another way, just how open would an American be, in his
own country, if a French visitor refused to even try to speak to him in
anything but French....

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 25th 04, 08:26 AM
Jesper Højgaard

Hi Todd

Here's a link for you. It's in danish but you can see the amount of snow in
Serre-Chevalier the last 6 years. You just select the weeknumber at the
bottom of the page.

Regards
Jesper Højgaard
Denmark

om...

Old January 27th 04, 01:09 AM
toddjb

"Jesper Højgaard" wrote in message k...
Hi Todd

Here's a link for you. It's in danish but you can see the amount of snow in
Serre-Chevalier the last 6 years. You just select the weeknumber at the
bottom of the page.

Regards
Jesper Højgaard
Denmark

no link listed in your post...
....but, i did see the snow history on the UK ski club website and it
looks like a pretty good week. seems like they are having a good year,
actually, with 300cm. now!

thanks for all the tips,
-todd
Old January 29th 04, 02:18 PM
Tom

"toddjb" a écrit dans le message de
om...

I was asked to join in on a group trip to snowboard in France
because it is a pretty good deal. Has anyone ever been to
SERRE-CHEVALIER (FRENCH SOUTHERN ALPS) in March? What are the
snow conditions typically like in mid-March? Lodging in Briancon.

It should be ok, especially this year : a lot of snow so far...

I'm also a little concerned that maybe this isn't a good time
for an American to travel to France since there doesn't seem to
be a lot of love between the two countries these days.

Don't worry about that : the lack of love is mostly a media thing.

I'm open to any advice on this. Not something I would have
worked to plan, but I have wanted to try snowboarding in Europe
and this seems like a good opportunity.

Quite close (1 hour drive) to Briançon, you can go to other resorts
such as Les 2 alpes, Alpes d'huez, La grave