Too much board for me?

Old October 14th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Serena

Default Too much board for me?

I started snowboarding at the end of the 2004/05 season, and I loved it so
much I bought a cheaper board to learn on at an end of season sale: a men's
2003 - 156 K2 spitfire. It comes up to just under my nose and apparantly
has a reccomended weight range of 130 - 210 lbs.

Well that was fine and good in early 2005, but I've since gotten off my lazy
butt and lost 35 lbs. My weight now varies between 130 and 135 (I'm 5'6",
female) and I'm bit concerned that this board is going to be too much for me
this season. I really am still a beginner boarder, as I didn't get out to
the hill as often as I would have liked last year (only 4 times).

So am I going to need to go board shopping again this year? Or should I be
able to handle this board?

Thanks in advance!

Old October 14th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Serena wrote:
I started snowboarding at the end of the 2004/05 season, and I loved it so
much I bought a cheaper board to learn on at an end of season sale: a men's
2003 - 156 K2 spitfire. It comes up to just under my nose and apparantly
has a reccomended weight range of 130 - 210 lbs.

Well that was fine and good in early 2005, but I've since gotten off my lazy
butt and lost 35 lbs. My weight now varies between 130 and 135 (I'm 5'6",
female) and I'm bit concerned that this board is going to be too much for me
this season. I really am still a beginner boarder, as I didn't get out to
the hill as often as I would have liked last year (only 4 times).

So am I going to need to go board shopping again this year? Or should I be
able to handle this board?

Congratulations on the slimmer, fitter you! Yes, the K2 Spitfire is
going to feel stiffer and a little more unwieldy at slow speeds now
that you a bit lighter. If the board already felt a little harder to
control at slow speeds, then you might want to consider getting a new
board. If you felt the board was really easy to flex and bend, or if
you have a very powerful versus finesse riding style, then maybe you
can get another season out of it.

On the flipside, the Spitfire was a beginner board. Maybe you could
consider moving up a notch in board quality. My first choice would be
to go for the Prior demo boards, these normally run at $600USD, but
there are a bunch in your size (149-152-154) that are less than $230USD
(http://priorsnowboards.com/used_boar...php?BSTY_ID=5). These are
some of the best boards you can buy and it's what I had my girlfriend
get. Another place you can look for 50% off snowboards at
(http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/2,335.html). There I would
recommend the Palmer Liberty 152 or the Rossignol Diva 153.

Good luck!

Old October 15th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Serena

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

If the board already felt a little harder to
control at slow speeds, then you might want to consider getting a new
board.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be needing a new board then. It did seem a bit
unweildy at times at slow speeds, but I originally was hoping this would
have allowed me to grow into it as I improved. And now for a slight
tangent: What do you think a slightly used (looks new, used ~5 times) 156
k2 spitfire should sell for?

My first choice would be
to go for the Prior demo boards, these normally run at $600USD, but
there are a bunch in your size (149-152-154) that are less than $230USD
(http://priorsnowboards.com/used_boar...php?BSTY_ID=5). These are
some of the best boards you can buy and it's what I had my girlfriend
get.

Wow, I'm going to have to take a serious look at these. I've never even
heard of Prior before. I've always avoided looking online for boards since
I'm in Canada, and shipping over the border is a pain in the ass (and often
very expensive). But as they're based out of Whistler this is a real
possibility. That is, if I can justify my spending $300 CDN (after
shipping) on a snowboard

Thanks for your help!

Old October 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Serena wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

If the board already felt a little harder to
control at slow speeds, then you might want to consider getting a new
board.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be needing a new board then. It did seem a bit
unweildy at times at slow speeds, but I originally was hoping this would
have allowed me to grow into it as I improved. And now for a slight

In general that is true, but there are two factors I took into
consideration. The first is that you don't go that often, if you were
getting in 20-30 days a season, then I think you would be able to grow
into it by the end of the season (you would need to be able to do
intermediate/lower advanced runs). Since you don't go that often, it
would be at least 2 season before you would grow into it and I don't
think it's that worth it. The second is that the board itself was an
entry level board anyways at 300USD, so it wasn't really designed to be
a board to "grow into."

tangent: What do you think a slightly used (looks new, used ~5 times) 156
k2 spitfire should sell for?

Well it sells for $300 USD. I would think that an older season model
would go for 40-50% off Making it $150-180 USD. Since it is slighty
used, I think you are safe in offering it up for $100-$130 USD
($115-$150 CND). Check ebay for price comparisons.

Old October 16th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Serena, at your ability level I really doubt that Spitfire is holding
you back that much. As a 156 cm beginner board, it's not *that* much of
a beast. With only a few riding sessions it's probably your skill level
that is causing your control problems. A new board isn't going to be
any magic bullet. Sometimes we experienced riders get to be equipment
junkies and forget that.

I'd take any money you might spend trading up to a different board and
buy a few lessons. After you get more confident about your skills, you
may be a better judge of what you need in your next board.

Neil
Old October 16th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
tg

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
Serena, at your ability level I really doubt that Spitfire is holding you
back that much. As a 156 cm beginner board, it's not *that* much of a
beast. With only a few riding sessions it's probably your skill level
that is causing your control problems. A new board isn't going to be any
magic bullet. Sometimes we experienced riders get to be equipment junkies
and forget that.

I'd take any money you might spend trading up to a different board and buy
a few lessons. After you get more confident about your skills, you may be
a better judge of what you need in your next board.

Neil

Very true - while I don't get near the days alot of folks on this group do -
I try to grab an hour with a good instructor once a year. Funny how you can
pick up a bad habit or they notice something to fine tune that can make a
difference in your riding- or maybe spend it on finding a good fitting pair
of boots fi yours don't fit well. (You didn't mention that in your intial
post but a sloppy fit on the boots can impact your riding as well)

Old October 16th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Serena wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

If the board already felt a little harder to
control at slow speeds, then you might want to consider getting a new
board.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be needing a new board then. It did seem a bit
unweildy at times at slow speeds, but I originally was hoping this would
have allowed me to grow into it as I improved. And now for a slight
tangent: What do you think a slightly used (looks new, used ~5 times) 156
k2 spitfire should sell for?

Sorry, I think I should have been more specific. Was the board
difficult to manuever before you lost you weight? Afterwards if it
still just a little difficult to manage that should be fine. I had a
bit of trouble understanding the timeline of when you bought the board,
when you rode it, and when you lost your weight. I should also
emphasize the borderline nature of the K2 Spitfire being too stiff or
too long for you.

As mentioned by the other posters, buying a new board isn't going to
make you a better rider. Only proper technique and practice is going to
do that. You money might be better spend on lessons.

Old October 17th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Serena

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sorry, I think I should have been more specific. Was the board
difficult to manuever before you lost you weight? Afterwards if it
still just a little difficult to manage that should be fine. I had a
bit of trouble understanding the timeline of when you bought the board,
when you rode it, and when you lost your weight. I should also
emphasize the borderline nature of the K2 Spitfire being too stiff or
too long for you.

Thanks to everyone who replied in the last couple of days!

You do bring up a good question, though it's a little bit difficult to
answer given just how much of a beginner I was when I started using this
board. I'll answer the best I can.

I only rode this board once at the end of the 04/05 season, when I was at my
heaviest. As this was only my second time out I can't really comment on how
comparitively difficult it was -- I could still barely turn! Last season I
started at probably 155-160 lbs, and the last time I rode it I was probably
140-145 lbs or so, so about 10 lbs heavier than I am now. If my memory
serves me correctly, as the season progressed, even though I was steadily
improving, I was getting more and more frustrated with how hard the board
was to flex. Originally I just assumed that this was due to my now knowing
how a board should be flexing in a turn, and I just hadn't yet mastered the
skills to do it. It only recently dawned on me that my weight loss may have
been negatively affecting my ability to get the most out of my board. So I
thought I'd ask the experts... you guys!

I also googled this topic as best I can, and it seems that almost everyone
says that weight is the most important factor in choosing a board. It also
seems to be suggested that beginners should tend to fall at the top end of
the recommended weight range.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is using a board that's recommended for
130-210 lbs (a huge range!) going to significantly hold me back, given that
I'm still very much a novice who weighs just over 130lbs? Or are those
recommendations just for the "ideal" case, and falling outside them is not
really a huge concern?

As mentioned by the other posters, buying a new board isn't going to
make you a better rider. Only proper technique and practice is going to
do that. You money might be better spend on lessons.

Duly noted. I actually was planning on taking some group lessons at our
local hill this December to get me prepped for the season. I could
definitely use the help!

Old October 17th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Serena wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message
I only rode this board once at the end of the 04/05 season, when I was at my
heaviest. As this was only my second time out I can't really comment on how
comparitively difficult it was -- I could still barely turn! Last season I
started at probably 155-160 lbs, and the last time I rode it I was probably
140-145 lbs or so, so about 10 lbs heavier than I am now. If my memory
serves me correctly, as the season progressed, even though I was steadily
improving, I was getting more and more frustrated with how hard the board
was to flex. Originally I just assumed that this was due to my now knowing
how a board should be flexing in a turn, and I just hadn't yet mastered the
skills to do it. It only recently dawned on me that my weight loss may have
been negatively affecting my ability to get the most out of my board. So I
thought I'd ask the experts... you guys!

Right, ok this is what I had kind of imagined. I stick with my opinion
of getting a new board.

I also googled this topic as best I can, and it seems that almost everyone
says that weight is the most important factor in choosing a board. It also
seems to be suggested that beginners should tend to fall at the top end of
the recommended weight range.

Yes, this is what I would recommend as well.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is using a board that's recommended for
130-210 lbs (a huge range!) going to significantly hold me back, given that
I'm still very much a novice who weighs just over 130lbs? Or are those
recommendations just for the "ideal" case, and falling outside them is not
really a huge concern?

Yes, it's a huge range, and I would be wary of being more than 30 lbs
off the average of any recommended weight range. So no, for you I would
not recommend it. Sure people can do it, but you really have to know
your own riding ability and style to make that type of decision. Not
all of us are a lean, muscular 6' 190 lbs like Neil

Old October 18th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Serena

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, it's a huge range, and I would be wary of being more than 30 lbs
off the average of any recommended weight range. So no, for you I would
not recommend it. Sure people can do it, but you really have to know
your own riding ability and style to make that type of decision. Not
all of us are a lean, muscular 6' 190 lbs like Neil

Thanks again for your help. I've decided to get a new board that's better
suited for me. Hey, it's only money, right? Doesn't it grow on trees or
something?

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM