Used Ski Prices

Old June 26th 04, 10:28 PM
Greg Fangel

Default Used Ski Prices

(John Roden) wrote in message . com...
For me, getting the stupid box out here in the boonies is half the
battle. If someone sent me a prepaid (by me) mailer box that I could
shove all the skis into and ship off, then use as credit for buying
new ones, I'd be stoked. The whole shipping and packing headache is
what keeps the skis around in the first place, for me at least, which
is also what keeps me from bothering to mail them for stone grinding.j

I use U-line boxes for shipping my skis. They are telescoping 6x6x90"
long.

Most of the time, I cut one side of the box off so that I have a
triangular box. This adds strength and keeps postage down. Just put
the skis in and pack with newspapers, etc.

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-4872

If you don't want to buy 25 of these, I am willing to sell you an
empty one. I'd have to figure out the price with postage.

Greg Fangel
www.woodenskis.com
Old June 29th 04, 07:10 PM
Dell Todd

(revyakin) wrote in message . com...
Honest feedback... I'll try not to tell you waht you want to hear but
what is realistic. I'd suggest you pay $125 to $150 for the skis or
less and then sell them at $250. I don't think you're going to get a
lot of bites at $300 or more.

Are you kidding me ? If I could buy a superstar's skis for $300 with
World Cup pedigree, I would certainly do it. When I was in Zach's van
down by the river, I saw all kinds of familiar names (& phone
numbers), on skis and on the walls, and I get star crossed by that
kind of thing.

If he sent me a world cup ski for $300, I would be quite thrilled,
espcially since Ski Boy Zach would fit me up like a pro ! Would you
rather "chance" $429 + bindings on a new pair of off the shelf skis
from Scandahoovian Sports of Twin Cities, or pay Zach for a sure-fit
and a super grind, our the door mounted & everything for 3 bills ?

In fact, Zach, add a category: Pedigree - if this ski competed at a
national level (competed well ?) +5%, if the ski rocked at the
international level, +10%.

I would love to race on pair of well fit skis that had been broken in
by someone named Koos, Johnson, Freeman, Wadsworth, Swenson...Scott !

Yes. Plus to my mind one should not expect the price of bindings to
increase the value of the ski a lot. Even though bindings cost a lot -
e.g $80 for Pilots (twice as much as they pay overseas as I
mentioned), bindings is like a free set of winter tires with a used
car... people expect bindings to be on the ski. One does not sell skis
with holes filled with epoxy - yuck.

If Kris Freeman weighs what I weigh, fill the holes with epoxy & ship
'em to me, because he isn't an SNS skier, and I wouldnt let that hold
me back. I have found that it's really easy to fill holes and remount
nordic skis.

Zach, the whole plan is killer. You'll log it into a spreadsheet
program and it wouldn't take 10 minutes to value a ski. Heck, you
could even ship the spreadsheet value sheet with it, for what it's
worth.
Old July 1st 04, 12:36 AM
p.bowen

If Kris Freeman weighs what I weigh, fill the holes with epoxy & ship
'em to me, because he isn't an SNS skier, and I wouldnt let that hold
me back. I have found that it's really easy to fill holes and remount
nordic skis.

kris skis on fischer boots now so you're compatible (at least with his
new skis).

also, the xc studs that were mentioned (scott, freeman, swenson etc.)
might say that the up to 4-800+ hours of training for 10-15 years
probably have more to do with their results than the skis that zach
ends up with.

zach, the value in what you're selling here is you, not the ski. as
evidenced by what people are saying, they would be happy to pay the
price for the service that you are selling. i have 4-5 pairs each -
classic and skate - of what i feel are very good RCS race skis that i
would be ecstatic to give you for $245. i couldn't get that on
skinnyski. and many are the zero serial number stamped skis that your
customers would drool over. i think you need to buy your skis for
less and not skimp on charging what you put into it, especially since
there's obviously a perception that you add value to the ski. i'd say
put a flat rate on your assessment/testing/picking/grinding process
($100-150?) + whatever you paid for the ski.

skilled labor isn't cheap, nor should it be.

-phil @ gearwest