Birkie fluoro wax

Old February 15th 05, 06:34 PM

Default Birkie fluoro wax

This weekend is my last chance to gear up with the right wax for the
Birkie. Judging from my last two Birkies, it's usually soft and cold.
Both times I used "just an F" wax - Toko jetstream (the old version, b4
they split into cold and warm) in '03 and SWIX 0840 (? - some werid
number - for wet snow, i.e. not optimal) - in '04, both times on top of
Toko blue mixed with Moly. I've had decent skis, but there always were
people passing me on downhills. Should I gear up with some cold HelX?

Old February 15th 05, 09:03 PM

No, wait until the day before the race and buy what the Swix guys tell
you to buy... It seems Zach let us down this year since I've heard no
reports of him coming out to the race with Mike Wynn or Nick from New
Hampshire... If Zach is at the Birkie, hand your skis to him and
they'll be fast. I heard his in-laws will be ****ed at him if he
doesn't make it to the Birkie since they live 1 1/2 hours away in
Duluth...

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
p.s. resigned to a slow Birkie if Zach doesn't show...

Old February 16th 05, 04:01 AM
Mike Wynn

I heard his in-laws will be ****ed at him if he
doesn't make it to the Birkie since they live 1 1/2 hours away in
Duluth...

LOL........now you've aggravated my
just-getting-over-a-nasty-head-cold-frog-in- throat cough.

Mike.......

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 12:01 PM

Mike Wynn wrote:
I heard his in-laws will be ****ed at him if he
doesn't make it to the Birkie since they live 1 1/2 hours away in
Duluth...

LOL........now you've aggravated my
just-getting-over-a-nasty-head-cold-frog-in- throat cough.

Mike.......

Hey Mike, are you coming to Wisconsin for the Birkie this year?

Jay Tegeder
"Stick around this sport long enough and you'll beat everyone at least
once!" JT

Old February 17th 05, 12:20 PM
Mike Wynn

Hey Mike, are you coming to Wisconsin for the Birkie this year?

It's not looking good at this point, Jay....... I'm bumming a bit, but it
sounds like this may be an o.k. year to skip with the thin course
conditions, eh?

Mike.....

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 10:17 PM

....looks like I will leave my balaclava at home this year.

Old February 18th 05, 04:38 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

You may be quite right in general with Swix, I don't know, but I do know
that at last year's Birkie Swix's race day weather forecast all week was
much colder than anyone else's and couldn't have come from any the of
main weather sites or meterologists that I could find. It also turned
out to be far wrong in reality, altho they may have revised it Friday.
That wasn't the first time I had seen that with them (or the Skiposts),
and had once asked about it a couple of years go. Granted, that's only
two data points and far fewer than yours. My recollection about last
year is that virtually everyone reported having fast skis no matter what
they put on.

Gene

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote:

For years, Swix has nailed the wax recommendations at different Midwest
events. I remember a Mora race where their recommendation seemed based
on a colder forecast than what everyone was seeing. Come race day, the
weather was cold and they were right on.

In contrast, people have followed other companys' recommendations at
the Birkie, and I've heard a lot of complaints afterwards. The folks
who ski the Birkie trail regularly know that pure fluoros don't work in
the woods when the temp is around 20 F and the snow is kind of sharp.
Others have found that new snow is tricky as hell. The thing I like
about Swix is that my skis are never dogs. They may not be "magical
skis" but they're right in there.

Jay Wenner

question? fluoro vs. cheap wax | warm vs universal vs cold wax [email protected] Snowboarding 5 December 20th 04 03:47 AM
Official Toko view of Birkie Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 18 February 27th 04 09:44 PM
Jay T's Big Birkie Saturday 2-21-04 THANK YOU ZACH!!! Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 12 February 25th 04 10:49 PM
Birkie lodging dware Nordic Skiing 0 February 11th 04 04:31 PM
American Birkie Advice Sought Dave Kiely Nordic Skiing 2 September 21st 03 06:31 PM