Anyone following this?

Old July 13th 11, 12:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

Default Anyone following this?

Actually, a good sized one could snap your arm and they do get large. I've seen 50-60 lbs ones come out of Lake Wylie in SC. I've seen a great many snapping turtles (including on my golf course). The lakes and ponds in the southeast are loaded with the suckers. We were walking alone the tidal pools in Wrightsville beach at low tide and saw five in a group last week. They're really ugly too. I give them a wide berth just as I do Pit Vipers and Alligators. Horvath will love this - I was hitting a 5-iron in light rough at Hilton Head and in the middle of my back swing I caught a glimpse of a a black thing moving towards me slowly - about 10 ft away. It was a 7 ft alligator. Talk about water hazards.
Old July 13th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Snappers was Anyone following this?

On 7/13/2011 8:43 AM, Clarencedarrow wrote:
Actually, a good sized one could snap your arm and they do get large. I've seen 50-60 lbs ones come out of Lake Wylie in SC. I've seen a great many snapping turtles (including on my golf course). The lakes and ponds in the southeast are loaded with the suckers. We were walking alone the tidal pools in Wrightsville beach at low tide and saw five in a group last week. They're really ugly too. I give them a wide berth just as I do Pit Vipers and Alligators. Horvath will love this - I was hitting a 5-iron in light rough at Hilton Head and in the middle of my back swing I caught a glimpse of a a black thing moving towards me slowly - about 10 ft away. It was a 7 ft alligator. Talk about water hazards.

The thing about snappers is that they almost never bite while they're in
the water. Water is their natural element and they are strong swimmers
and very maneuverable so they never get scared enough to bite when
they're swimming. On land, they are plodding slow things and will bite
to defend themselves.

Never try to pick one up. The only safe way to pick one up (for the
human) is to grab the snapper by the tail and hold it far away from your
body, but this is hard on the turtle and can damage their spinal cord.

Of course, they are tasty in soup.

//Walt
Old July 13th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 05:43:08 -0700 (PDT), Clarencedarrow
wrote this crap:

Actually, a good sized one could snap your arm a

No big deal. We get alligators on the golf courses in Florida all the
time.

Do you know your word wrap is set wrong? Try setting it to 80.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 13th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:13:31 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

On 7/13/2011 8:43 AM, Clarencedarrow wrote:
Actually, a good sized one could snap your arm and they do get large.

The thing about snappers is that they almost never bite while they're in
the water. Water is their natural element and they are strong swimmers
and very maneuverable so they never get scared enough to bite when
they're swimming. On land, they are plodding slow things and will bite
to defend themselves.

Never try to pick one up. The only safe way to pick one up (for the
human) is to grab the snapper by the tail and hold it far away from your
body, but this is hard on the turtle and can damage their spinal cord.

Of course, they are tasty in soup.

It's funny trying to kill any kind of turtle. You cut the head off
and they are still moving for days. I've seen them cut into pieces
and the limbs are still moving. Just like a scene from a horror
movie.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 13th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/13/2011 9:13 AM, Walt wrote:

Never try to pick one up. The only safe way to pick one up (for the
human) is to grab the snapper by the tail and hold it far away from your
body, but this is hard on the turtle and can damage their spinal cord.

Hmmm. I guess I'm not entirely correct about this.

Here's a video of how to handle a snapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc7pB6VvJT8

I wish you the very best of luck if you try it.

//Walt
Old July 13th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:39:31 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

On 7/13/2011 9:13 AM, Walt wrote:

Never try to pick one up. The only safe way to pick one up (for the
human) is to grab the snapper by the tail and hold it far away from your
body, but this is hard on the turtle and can damage their spinal cord.

Hmmm. I guess I'm not entirely correct about this.

Here's a video of how to handle a snapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc7pB6VvJT8

I wish you the very best of luck if you try it.

Interesting technique. BTW, if you see one crossing a road, (and they
only do it at night,) take it home for soup.

I jabbed one once with a broomstick and was impressed how deep it bit
into the wood, so I now doubt if they can cut through a large or
medium bone, but I'm sure it would be painful.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 13th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/13/2011 12:32 PM, wrote:
Walt wrote this crap:

Here's a video of how to handle a snapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc7pB6VvJT8

I wish you the very best of luck if you try it.

Interesting technique. BTW, if you see one crossing a road, (and they
only do it at night,) take it home for soup.

I'm not sure they like soup. I'd serve it a salad instead.

//Walt

Old August 4th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 8/4/2011 10:05 AM, down_hill wrote:
Walt wrote:
On 7/13/2011 12:32 PM, wrote:
Interesting technique. BTW, if you see one crossing a road, (and they
only do it at night,) take it home for soup.

I'm not sure they like soup. I'd serve it a salad instead.

I do not think Horvaith is a People...

Oh, I wouldn't go that far.

//Walt
Old August 4th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:05:14 -0400, down_hill
wrote this crap:

any one know anything about clay and race tracks?
Question for VtSkier are there any rc race tracks in VT?

I got no idea what you are talking about. But at last night's race
the race committee put up the flags in the wrong sequence. We noticed
it and watched while every boat in our class started early. We
started on time, unopposed, and sailed around the course for an easy
win. Boo-Yah!

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.