Jeff & Mitch on losing weight

Old November 4th 03, 11:57 PM

Default Jeff & Mitch on losing weight

Hey you guys, I just dropped from 205 to 186 in 2 months. One simple
excercise did it. It's called PUSHING AWAY FROM THE TABLE. It actually started off
with a 17 mile hike up Half Dome in Yosemite with one bottle of water and 2
pretzels in my pocket. Is that too fast to lose that amount. I sure feel better.
I have altered my diet also to round out the whole program.

Got Tur,
Bill

Old November 5th 03, 07:30 PM
Ilene Carpenter

Terje Mathisen wrote:

with a 17 mile hike up Half Dome in Yosemite with one bottle of water
and 2

17 miles (round trip right?) to Half Dome?

Yes, its around that distance from the place the bus drops you off in
the valley to the top. I did it about 3 weeks ago.

According to my maps, it is about 9.25 km (less than 6 miles) from Upper
Pines Campground at about 1250 elevation to the top at 2695 m. I realize
that this doesn't account for some of the switchbacks in the steepest
parts, but even so.

that's the difference - from the campground vs. from the bus stop.

When I climbed the NW face in 1981, we carried all our climbing gear, as
well as food, water, sleeping bags and pads up to the final campsite,
just below the ladder to the top.

I don't remember exactly, but I believe we took about 2 hours, including
a break at Silver Apron, to get up there, it sure didn't feel like an 8
mile uphill hike. We did pass a _lot_ of people in mountain boots and
light daypacks though. :-)

OTOH, I know I couldn't do the same today, not while enjoying the hike
anyway. :-(

Terje

Old November 6th 03, 12:36 PM
Terje Mathisen

Ilene Carpenter wrote:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

with a 17 mile hike up Half Dome in Yosemite with one bottle of water
and 2

17 miles (round trip right?) to Half Dome?

Yes, its around that distance from the place the bus drops you off in
the valley to the top. I did it about 3 weeks ago.

OK, starting somewhere west of Curry Village, on the main road, adds
about a mile (1.6 km), but no more ascent.

There's still more than a mile missing, each direction.

What I'm getting at is that as an orienteer I've noticed for many years
that nearly all walking paths (and many non-competition ski tracks) are
10-25% shorter than what they are marked as.

Terje

--
-

Old November 6th 03, 03:19 PM
Ilene Carpenter

Terje Mathisen wrote:

17 miles (round trip right?) to Half Dome?

Yes, its around that distance from the place the bus drops you off in
the valley to the top. I did it about 3 weeks ago.

OK, starting somewhere west of Curry Village, on the main road, adds
about a mile (1.6 km), but no more ascent.

There's still more than a mile missing, each direction.

What I'm getting at is that as an orienteer I've noticed for many years
that nearly all walking paths (and many non-competition ski tracks) are
10-25% shorter than what they are marked as.

I'm just going by the posted signs on the trail but I agree they could
easily be off by that %. They're probably rounded up at each marked
intersection.

In any case, it felt like an exhausting hike to me! What's strange is
that i've done trail runs with the about the same distance and total
vertical that felt much easier and took alot less time. They were
at sea level, which must account for alot of the difference in fatigue.

-Ilene