Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Old September 26th 05, 09:05 PM
James Hart

Steve Olive wrote:
The more ideas I get given, the harder the choice becomes. :-(
I've decided that I'd perhaps like to avoid France during the
holidays, though opinions on Serre Chevalier would be welcome.

So, currently considering Zermatt as a well regarded choice, but I'd
also been pointed at Crans Montana (slightly dodgy snow record, but
this is mid-Feb) and Sestriere in Italy.

I just know I'm going to end up in Lake Louise and Banff
again.......................................

Cheers all

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26. You'll
either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or make it a part
of the holiday.

Old September 27th 05, 06:35 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"James Hart" wrote in message

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or make
it a part of the holiday.

Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea area)!
Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is likely to
suffer from crowds.

Old September 27th 05, 07:24 AM
Ace

On 26 Sep 2005 21:06:30 +0100, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a car,
and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be closed
due to storms last month).

I think they've reopened the road after the recent floods - certainly
it should be fine by the start of the season.

Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp, Melchsee-
Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.

Absolutely. Meiringen-Hasliburg is worth a look, as well. Nice little
town (Meiringen, that is) with a lot of Sherlock Holmes references and
good lift connections.

For adults, I'd certainly recommend this idea, but with children it
may be less convenient moving around like this, particularly if
they'll be taking lessons.

Just a little bit further will take you to the Interlaken resorts of
Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren, which are also quite charming (I'd
stay in Grindelwald out of preference). These are that bit bigger and
much more suitable for a week's holiday.

If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't want
to advertise it too widely )

Oh, a secret, eh? C'mon, share it with us - it's not as if many of the
readers are likely to be doing this type of thing :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
Old September 27th 05, 09:07 AM
Johannes

On 26 Sep 2005 21:06:30 +0100, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive :
1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
5/ Not too rowdy/brits on ****. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..

[..]
We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Central Switzerland. Many resorts easily accessible if you're hiring a car,
and some are snowsure (though Engelberg - one of them - may still be closed

Since ~3 Weeks ist the need road open. And they hope, they can open
the Railway till end of november. The Ropeway companie has no damage
so they open normal. Winter season start at 19. November.(I'm not
shure if they start at 1. October the autum season, because there is
not much Snow at the top.)
Btw i would Engelberg declare as chalanging spot.

due to storms last month). Stay somewhere in the middle and you can do a
different resort every day; resorts such as Andermatt, Klewenalp, Melchsee-
Frutt, Engelberg (maybe), Rigi, Mythern, all within a short drive.

If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't want
to advertise it too widely )

It seams to me that the brits avoid the german speking part of
switzerland.

Johannes
Old September 27th 05, 10:37 AM
Ace

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:07:38 +0200, Johannes
wrote:

It seams to me that the brits avoid the german speking part of
switzerland.

There is a tendency to go to the larger, more well-known resorts, it
is true. But those of us within easy reach of the area are quite glad
that the hordes of holidaymakers don't spoil our quite little ski
areas.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 27th 05, 04:25 PM
James Hart

Marco Cattaneo wrote:
"James Hart" wrote in message

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
make it a part of the holiday.

Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
likely to suffer from crowds.

I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
experience of resorts during the Olympics?

Old September 27th 05, 08:40 PM
PSmith

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

Personally, I prefer to stay in Wengen: normally get off the train half way
up, and ski down to Wixi: fast way to get skiing. Wengen is convenient for
commuting over to Murren for a day. Going the other way to First is still
acessible.

I would think that Murren from Grindelwald (via Wengen) would be hard. I
would not really want to take the trains all the way down and along to
Lauterbrunnen? Also, I always think Grindelwald town being up the opposite
side of the valley from the Kl Scheidegg side is very inconvenient.

regards
Paul

If you really want to get away from the brits, that's the best place I've
found! And I can also tell you where I like to stay (email me: I don't
want
to advertise it too widely )

Oh, a secret, eh? C'mon, share it with us - it's not as if many of the
readers are likely to be doing this type of thing :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
Ski Club.

Old September 27th 05, 09:55 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd PSmith :
Personally, I prefer to stay in Wengen: normally get off the train half way
up, and ski down to Wixi: fast way to get skiing.

Really? The piste from Wengernalp (I assume you mean) down to Wixi is almost
flat, and very boring. In the time it takes you to get up the Fallboden
or Wixi chairs, you could be well down a decent piste from Kleine Scheidegg.

Wengen is convenient for
commuting over to Murren for a day. Going the other way to First is still
acessible.

First is a nightmare to get to, in my experience.

I would think that Murren from Grindelwald (via Wengen) would be hard. I
would not really want to take the trains all the way down and along to
Lauterbrunnen? Also, I always think Grindelwald town being up the opposite
side of the valley from the Kl Scheidegg side is very inconvenient.

The slopes at Muerren are fantastic; they may be generally shorter, but in
a small area there is much more variation than on Wengen side, including some
real blacks, e.g. the mogul field down from the Schiltgrad to the restaurant
at Suppenalp - bliss! Also fewer queues and crowds during busier times of
year. There are also some very nice easily accessible off-piste areas.

Hence we prefer staying in Lauterbrunnen, for easy access to both sides. And
of course Lauterbrunnen's cheaper, and you can park your car by the flat.

We tried First last year. It was a nightmare. It wasn't getting to Grindelwald
that was the problem, it was getting from Grindelwald onto the slopes. Yes,
the skiing (what little we managed) was good, but it wasn't worth the effort.
I suppose well out of the peak season it would have been worth it.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old September 28th 05, 09:48 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"James Hart" wrote in message
Marco Cattaneo wrote:
"James Hart" wrote in message

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
make it a part of the holiday.

Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
likely to suffer from crowds.

I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
experience of resorts during the Olympics?

From my memory of the Albertville Olympics (1992), this was certainly the
case for the slopes in Tignes/Val d'Isere - but that didn't make the
accomodation any cheaper or easier to find!!

Given the choice of setinations in the Alps, avoid the Olympics if you don't
want to see the races...

Old September 28th 05, 08:24 PM
Steve Olive

Cheers all.
I'm going to opt for Schladming.

"Marco Cattaneo" wrote in message

"James Hart" wrote in message
Marco Cattaneo wrote:
"James Hart" wrote in message

If looking at Italy, be aware that the Winter Olympics are on 10-26.
You'll either want to avoid the area altogether for the duration or
make it a part of the holiday.

Good point (not all of Italy though, just the Sestriere / Via Lattea
area)! Similarly, Serre Che just over the border from the Olympics is
likely to suffer from crowds.

I am wondering though whether the crowds will be there for the races,
leaving the rest of the ski domains fairly quiet. Anyone any previous
experience of resorts during the Olympics?

From my memory of the Albertville Olympics (1992), this was certainly the