Best type of sock

Old December 16th 03, 11:28 AM
Harliegirl

Default Best type of sock

Would appreciate advice for a newbie on the best type of socks to wear while
snowboarding.

I have heaps of trouble with my feet going numb and I find it hard to stay
out on the slopes for any long period of time.

Thanks

Harlie

Old December 16th 03, 10:51 PM
Biff

"Harliegirl" wrote in message ...
Would appreciate advice for a newbie on the best type of socks to wear while
snowboarding.

I have heaps of trouble with my feet going numb and I find it hard to stay
out on the slopes for any long period of time.

Thanks

Harlie

Your feet are going numb - that sounds like a boot fit and/or binding fit
issue. Do your boots fit your feet well, or are they too big or too small?

If you really have to crank the laces down to get your foot not to swim in
your boot, your boot may be too large. Alternatively, if your toes are
crammed your boots may be too small.

Also, if your bindings are pressing down on your feet at bad spots, or you
are cranking your bindings too tight, that may also make your feet go numb.

I had this problem the first time out this year with new boots and new bindings.
Solved this problem by:
. not tightening my laces so much. The boots fit very well, did not need
to crank my laces to get the support I wanted
. changing the binding strap to make the binding hit more over the big toe
instead of over the rest of the foot.
Old December 17th 03, 02:00 PM
Chet Hayes

I agree that numb feet is a sign of boot or binding fit problem. Also
possibly overtightening of the binding strap. They should be nice and
snug, but if you tighten them real hard, that can be a problem.

As for socks, I wear a relatively thin, long sock. There are some of
these made for riding, or you can use a dress sock. I think this
gives a better boot fit and also allows the option of moving to a
heavier sock if the boots pack out. If you buy new boots based on
wearing a heavy sock, you can't increase the sock thickness later.
Old December 19th 03, 02:16 AM
Dismantler

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
I agree that numb feet is a sign of boot or binding fit problem. Also
possibly overtightening of the binding strap. They should be nice and
snug, but if you tighten them real hard, that can be a problem.

As for socks, I wear a relatively thin, long sock. There are some of
these made for riding, or you can use a dress sock. I think this
gives a better boot fit and also allows the option of moving to a
heavier sock if the boots pack out. If you buy new boots based on
wearing a heavy sock, you can't increase the sock thickness later.

The other suggestions provided above are all excelle(nt. If you have made
sure your binding strap is not too tight, your boot laces are snug (but not
restrictively tight), etc. etc. socks will not help much.

I was having trouble with blistering on a long trip last year (+10 days, not
used to riding that many days in a row). Needless to say, developed some
painful blisters that put me off the hill a bit. So I finally got around it
by using a (very) heavy pair of wool socks (Wigwam brand, I think) that were
snowboard specific, coupled with some moleskin (I cut the moleskin into
"donuts" around the blisters, and used some of advanced healing band-aids to
help speed healing).

My problem (I think) is that my feet are right on the borderline between
regular and wide, some styles I need wide, others I don't, LOL. It's not fun
buying boots...

All the other boots that I tried on gave me some or large degrees of heel
lift. The Malamutes were the
only ones that anchored my foot and quashed the problem. Northwave boots
were the next best fit.

I would rather put up with the hassles though, than go back to lack of
control and sloppy, floppy feeling. It's just too dangerous now that my
riding has improved and I like to go faster on more difficult terrain.

Good luck and have fun out there. You'll sort out your equipment issues
eventually, everyone does...

Old December 19th 03, 03:02 AM
Mike T

Lots of good stuff from other posters... I only have a little bit to
add.

It appears to be rather common for beginning and intermediate riders who
want more control to over-tighten boots and bindings. I think this is
usualy the result of boots that don't fit well enough. Simply put the
probability of finding the right pais of boots the 1st or 2nd time
around is pretty slim, unless you've been reading archives of this
newsgroup and then spent hours and hours shopping around ;-)
Tightening also gives the temporary feeling of more control, at least
until your feet start to ache or you need to make a quick corrective
turn.

As you get better you'll realize where the happy medium of tightness is,
and not go above and beyond that. (And eventually you'll get better at
selecting boots as well! It took me four tries to get it right!)

Back to the original topic - socks that don't slide aroun in your boots
might make it so you can loosen them a bit. I like medium thickness
wool socks, my current favorites are Wigman Sirocco , $9.00 USD, found
in discount sports stores. Every ski and snowboard shop wants to sell
me something super-thin that ends up being slippery. Something that
grips the inside of the boot works better for me.

Old December 19th 03, 05:50 PM
Jason Watkins

Totally agree. I'm on my 2nd set of boots and I know now I should have
got 1/2 size down. I fight with my boots prettymuch all day. I think a
combination of new liners glueing in some foam bits should hopefully
fix it.

But anyhow, when my feet start feeling numb, it is _alway_ due to the
cuff of my boot around my shin being to tight.

I also use thick wool socks. I tried thin socks once, and totally
hated it.
Old December 19th 03, 06:38 PM
Dismantler

"Mike T" wrote in message
Lots of good stuff from other posters... I only have a little bit to
add.

Back to the original topic - socks that don't slide aroun in your boots
might make it so you can loosen them a bit. I like medium thickness
wool socks, my current favorites are Wigman Sirocco , $9.00 USD, found
in discount sports stores. Every ski and snowboard shop wants to sell
me something super-thin that ends up being slippery. Something that
grips the inside of the boot works better for me.

Wigman? Maybe mine were Wigman, I don't have the tag anymore, and there's no
identifying logo or anything on them. All I know is that they are
exceptionally comfortable, with excellent wicking action. I thought they
said Wigwam, but I may have been slightly uh, I'll plead the fifth. I did
get them at Arapahoe Basin's pro shop, if that helps...

Wool socks work great for me, I can't recommend them highly enough. The one
problem you may run into is if you have abnormally hot feet, they may make
you sweat WAY too much. I don't have that issue. I'm warm-blooded elsewhere,
but I'd swear my feet are reptilian - LOL!

Dismantler - Who still has not made it onto even a measly Indiana hill once
this year.

:-(

Severe bummage! All you other lucky knuckledraggers, have fun out there and
watch out for the idiots...

Put in an extra turn or two for me, the wait is agonizing...

Old December 19th 03, 06:42 PM
Mike T

I thought they
said Wigwam,