What is a fool proof glide wax for 32 degree sticky snow?

Old February 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Douglas Diehl

Default What is a fool proof glide wax for 32 degree sticky snow?

Had really slow skate skiis again in 32 degree weather. It happens so
consistently I'm starting to think it is a karma thing. My skiis were
significantly slower on all the downhills compared with other racers
today. I was ready to wrapp my skiis around a tree in frustration. One
set with Swix HF8, another HF8 with Cerra F, and the third pair with
Solda F20 for new snow around 32 F. I choose the Solda pair they felt
much faster until I started racing. The scenario of watching others
glide by with superior glide is got me thinking I'm doing something
really wrong with my ski prep. Perhaps I'm putting some static charge
on the ski, or maybe it's all voodoo.
Old February 22nd 04, 12:10 AM
Erik Brooks

What sort of structure do you have on those? Any with a wet snow
structure?

Erik Brooks, Seattle, where it's usually 32 degrees, and my skis
always glide well.

Old February 22nd 04, 01:16 PM
J999w

'ya might need a more coarse structure to break the suction.

jw
Old February 23rd 04, 06:49 AM
Janne G

Douglas Diehl wrote:

Had really slow skate skiis again in 32 degree weather. It happens so
consistently I'm starting to think it is a karma thing. My skiis were
significantly slower on all the downhills compared with other racers
today. I was ready to wrapp my skiis around a tree in frustration. One
set with Swix HF8, another HF8 with Cerra F, and the third pair with
Solda F20 for new snow around 32 F. I choose the Solda pair they felt
much faster until I started racing. The scenario of watching others
glide by with superior glide is got me thinking I'm doing something
really wrong with my ski prep. Perhaps I'm putting some static charge
on the ski, or maybe it's all voodoo.

I read (from the guy that grind the Swedish team skiis) that the percentage
of importance for the glide is 75% the skii flex, 15% grind, 10% wax.
Pick your choise from that.
--

Forward in all directions

Janne G
Old February 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Bob Maswick

Default What is a fool proof glide for 32 degree sticky snow?

(Douglas Diehl) wrote in message . com...
Had really slow skate skiis again in 32 degree weather. It happens so
consistently I'm starting to think it is a karma thing.

Bad karma is a tough thing to battle! I'm guessing we're talking
about ESG's on Saturday. A number of peole had similar complaints.

After the race, a bunch of people including Brian Delaney (High Peaks
Cyclery), Dave Matthews (Reliable Racing) and I traded skis and
compared wax and prep. Everyone generally agreed Brian and I had the
fastest skis - we both had very aggressive structure. I had Zach
Caldwell's R2.3 grind, I think Brian did also but he added more
structure w/ the Toko linear tool.

I always use a base prep - these are my warm skis so it is Star Map
200. I measured snow temps at 19 - 27 degrees F and figured it would
climb. I blended HF Red and Yellow, did two layers, brushed out
really well, then covered it w/ Toko Helx Warm. These skis were
rockets and I just wish I had the motor to push them!

Brian waxed pretty much the same, but used the Swix Cera products w/
Toko Jetstream Old as a final layer. Dave waxed Swix also, but
covered everything w/ the new Swix liquid Cera (similar to Helx?)

In the 10K freestyle, Brian slaughtered me and I beat Dave. On
Sunday, I glide waxed my classic skis the same way even though it was
a bit colder. Kick wax was Swix VR50 w/ about 6" of VR60 from the
toes forward. Jimmy Underwood and I ended up waxing exactly the same,
but of course he caught me about 2 minutes out and never looked back!

- Bob
Old February 23rd 04, 11:51 PM
Joe Ricci

(Bob Maswick) wrote in message . com...
(Douglas Diehl) wrote in message . com...
Had really slow skate skiis again in 32 degree weather. It happens so
consistently I'm starting to think it is a karma thing.

Bad karma is a tough thing to battle! I'm guessing we're talking
about ESG's on Saturday. A number of peole had similar complaints.

After the race, a bunch of people including Brian Delaney (High Peaks
Cyclery), Dave Matthews (Reliable Racing) and I traded skis and
compared wax and prep. Everyone generally agreed Brian and I had the
fastest skis - we both had very aggressive structure. I had Zach
Caldwell's R2.3 grind, I think Brian did also but he added more
structure w/ the Toko linear tool.

Hi Bob-

I love that R2.3- I bet that had a lot to do with it. I know Zach is
starting to get good feedback on it. It is actually a Nat Brown grind
that Zach does for people. He is somewhat hesitant to push the grind
on people because of it's expense and his lack of testing of it, but
my experiences with it have been great and well worth the price.
Although it excels in wet conditions, I have had skiers have good luck
in a wide range of conditions. Last year at JO's in Alaska, one of our
skiers raced in three races on R2.3 grind in temp ranges from -4 f to
+ 25 f. Zach and I talked about taking some of the structure out for
the coldest day, but the skier and her dad passed on that because the
skis were running so fast- and she had 2 other pair to compare
against. Was it the grind?the ski flex?Bill Brooker's great waxing? -
probably all 3 with a good skier on them also. It is nice to have a
pair of skis you know will be fast in those conditions! Enjoy them.

Joe Ricci
Old February 24th 04, 01:03 AM
John Roden

Hi Doug, I was in the same race (esg) and had fast skis for a change,
or due to dumb luck. I had a lot of structure from a coarse swix
riller, swix plain old violet wax and the softer yellow high florine
wax, hf 10 I believe. I warmed up on a softer pair of skis with just
swix violet and no structure and they were dog slow, I don't know if
it was the structure of the stiffer flex or the floro, but they were
nice and fast and stayed that way after the race. I bet the structure
had a lot to do with it.

Old February 24th 04, 12:55 PM
agale

The structure does have a lot to due with it. The riller will work
wonders in more moist snow like you seem to have had and also when you
have a layer of really fresh powder on the trails. The structure really
does make a difference for the racing and you should probably look into
it more. I coach a Biathlon team and at the provincials 3 weeks ago, we
ignored structure a bit on the relay race day and the warm fresh power
just about got us. Our bad waxing job almost lost us our provincial title.
But it didn't.. not yet :P