rollerski stability, NNN III

Old August 15th 03, 08:31 PM
Bob Larson

Default rollerski stability, NNN III

Anyone ever lubricate the footplate on their rollerski
bindings?

I've noticed that it improves stability by giving me a
a more dependable inter-lock between the sole of my boot
and the rollerski.

I usually use maxi-glide spray for "no-wax" skis on
the heel plates of my rollerskis. That works well.
Today I tried bicycle chain lube,
White Lightning "self cleaning" wax based lube, which I
hope is relatively safe to use on plastic. It seemed
to work just fine.

This was never an issue when I used NNN II, but now
I have NNN III on my rollerskis and certain stability
problems. Anyone else notice this?
Old August 15th 03, 08:40 PM
Fitzgerald

I had NNN III on my Marwes and had a heel plate break. I put on some old
NNNII I had and noticed a definite improvement in stability.
Fitzgerald

Old August 15th 03, 08:50 PM
Gary Jacobson

Why?
I have read this before, but never perceived it.
What could it be about a NNNIII that would decrease stability?
Isn't the pivot point the same, and it's just the width of the binding that
is different.
Could more contact area make it feel less stable because little movements
don't get attenuated as they might with a sloppier less stable binding?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old August 15th 03, 10:24 PM
Bob Larson

Based on my experience, there is a slight problem in getting the heel plate to
mesh with the boot when roller-skiing along at speed. It was most pronounced
for me in V2-alt. That's why a little lube
on the heel plate fixed the trouble. But it probably isn't worth
analyzing the trouble to the NNNth degree. I just
wanted to pass along my little hint, or find out if it was already
a well know little trick. Switching back to NNNII heel plates is
probably a better fix, at least for rollerskiing.

Old August 15th 03, 11:14 PM
Fitzgerald

I have no idea why it is. I thought the NNN III with the wider platform
would feel more stable but the opposite is true. The difference was
instantly apparent. I have no experience on snow as I use the Pilot system.
Curious but true.......
Fitzgerald

Old August 17th 03, 01:48 AM
Ira Edwards

One difference on the rollerskis might be that you are raised up 3mm on the
R3 Classic and 5mm on the R3 Skate as opposed to the old NNN-II. I know
that a couple of mm here or there might not seem like a big deal, but in
cycling it makes a big difference and since rollerskis are already so high
as opposed to skiing on snow.

I still have the NNN-II on my roller skis so I cannot comment on the
performance here, but I noticed an immediate difference on the snow.

Ira Edwards
Anchorage, AK
. net...

Old August 17th 03, 10:47 AM
Fitzgerald

You are right. That 5mm rise on the R3 is the difference. Just enough to
give you that "tippy" feeling when you start out.
Fitzgerald

Old August 18th 03, 08:50 PM
Bob Larson

Jim Farrell wrote:

It sounds like you might have a binding mount issue.

Maybe. But these were mounted brand new by Avho himself,
so it's got to be spot on perfect

Seriously, with the 3 yr old boots I am using, there is enough
play to allow the boot to come down slightly off center.
That's what causes the insecure feeling, in my estimation.
It's only momentary and only occasional.