Newell third in Changchun ... anyone?

Old March 17th 06, 09:31 PM

Was great. Is great. Will be great. No "but"s about it.
What point are you exactly trying to make?

What ever it is. I find the last statement to be the most ridiculous.
Have you even looked at his results this year?
He didn't come out of nowhere. It was only a matter of time before it
would happen. So it doesn't matter where it happened. He is a contender
anywhere in the world. Furthermore, my heart really goes out to all
those poor euros that had to race on another continent. Deal with
major travel, jet lag, different food. I'll bet they were tired. Yeah
right. World Cup is almost as authentic as the World Series.

Sorry I won't be able to fully flame your comment as I am going to hop
on a plane to do some serious gondola sitting for the next week. Flame
flame, flame flame flame flame!

Byrnes-out

Old March 18th 06, 12:14 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
But it is strange the low level of activity on this NG.

Yes, it is strange especially compared to the past when there seemed to be a
lot of lively discussion. Perhaps simply ebb and flow. Or maybe there was a
void left by past NGers who can not afford the time to pursue skiing, or
skiing and posting. I think that the void is being filled by the likes of
yourself who spark interest and involvement of others.

Intolerance of other points of view and the broad range of related topics
that are related to skiing can squash NG participation I think.

In my case, employment and other pursuits, as well as health don't
facilitate time for marathons which is what I used to like to do, and which
continually fueled an interest in skiing that goes back to my early teens.

I think that another successive low snow year could nearly extinguish xc
skiing in this geographic area. I also think that things like sprints and
mass start racing at the WC level lessens my interest in that. Maybe true
for others too.

But I will say that these days I fantasize about roller sking, something
that I did little of over the past year in comparison to the previous
thirty. I can say with certainty that the NG used to really help motivate me
to ski. I guess that's a function of community.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 18th 06, 12:40 AM

Newsgroup posts about NOT POSTING about Newell = 24
Newsgroup posts about Newell placing 3rd = 4

Discussion wins out over cheerleading.
period.

JK

Old March 18th 06, 01:38 AM

"Im not trying to knock Andy's achievement..."

well, you didn't succeed.

he was ahead of björn lind!
Old March 18th 06, 07:11 PM

Hey, great that Newell did well, and I love it when anyone from North
America does well. Good luck to The Great Scott!

However, I'd bet that skiing for most of us, and certainly myself, is
MUCH more of a participatory than spectator/fan sport. My time is much
better spent training and prepping for skiing than following the elite
levels. The only reason I'm taking the time to post this is that I'm
stuck on call with nothing to do at the moment.

Randy

Old March 20th 06, 02:02 AM

Newell kicked ass? A good example of the difference in attitude
between Europeans and Americans: for the latter, "kicking ass pure and
simple" is attached to a third place. For the former, they're aimed at
championships.

Gene

"WasGitchi" wrote:

"
"But, I am more interested in distance, not sprints."
I'll be honest: me too.
"
Just encourage full disclosure cork: aren't you a collegiate sprint
champion?

Anyway...
Newell kicks ass. pure and simple. podium... this is big.

PS
For the last 48hrs, I've been checking the teamtoday site every five
minutes for vorde or phil's pics. I not an addict. it's cool. you're
doing it too.

byrnes-out

Old March 20th 06, 02:14 AM

I should add that Andy Newell wouldn't toss out such bombastic
nonsense. I imagine he's thinking about long range plans about for how
to move up two places.

Gene

"WasGitchi" wrote:

Anyway...
Newell kicks ass. pure and simple. podium... this is big.

changchun sprints shreddir Nordic Skiing 4 March 15th 06 08:48 PM
Newell's Sprint doogiski Nordic Skiing 9 February 2nd 06 01:47 PM
Andy Newell quote Mike Doyle Nordic Skiing 13 November 2nd 05 12:42 AM
Review: Andrew Newell's "American Skieer" DVD Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 11 January 5th 05 07:24 PM