Skiing and Hypothermia

Old April 16th 04, 09:53 PM
Ren

Default Skiing and Hypothermia

I'm a mechanical engineering student doing a project to make a device
that combats hypothermia. This is not a device to keep you warm, but
rather to warm you up if you were to get hypothermia.

I guess since I don't really ski, I'm having a hard time gauging what
things are important and where / when this kind of device would be
used. (if there is even a need for it)

I was wondering how many skiers get hypothermic?
Do people carry any devices to treat hypothermia?
Would you want to carry a device with you as a first aid device or use
it when you once you get home / car?
How imporant are things like : weight, shape, attractiveness, power
sources, rustproof, etc.

When you talk about making a new product, you have to consider how
much it will cost to make. What would be considered expensive?

Any information you could provide would be very helpful.

Just some background: we found a study that says if you can apply heat
to the palm of a hand and at the same time put the hand in a vaccuum
chamber you can increase heat transfer to the body about six times
faster than any other type of heating. This essentially means you can
take the person out of hypothermia in about 20 min. There is a company
that has the technology patented
but for use in hospitals.

My assignment is to come up with a similar type of device, but see if
any other people would have any use for it.

Thanks,
Ren