Best place to ski after Christmas?

Old December 4th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_9_]

Default Best place to ski after Christmas?

wrote:
Hi a friend of mine is looking to find a place to ski this 2007-2008
season after Christmas, probably from around Dec 31 to Jan 5ish.

Busy just about everywhere, although it'll be tapering off by the 5th. But
pretty busy nonetheless.

Interestingly, the couple of weeks after that are DEAD most places. And as
they don't do MLK day in Utah, it's dead there even for that.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old December 4th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 4, 2:26 am, "ant" wrote:
wrote:
Hi a friend of mine is looking to find a place to ski this 2007-2008
season after Christmas, probably from around Dec 31 to Jan 5ish.

Busy just about everywhere, although it'll be tapering off by the 5th. But
pretty busy nonetheless.

Interestingly, the couple of weeks after that are DEAD most places. And as
they don't do MLK day in Utah, it's dead there even for that.

When I was younger, single, and childless, I always took my winter ski
week at Mammoth the week after the holidays, which would be Jan 5-11
in 2008.

Old December 4th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 3, 9:45 am, Walt wrote:
wrote:
Hi a friend of mine is looking to find a place to ski this 2007-2008
season after Christmas, probably from around Dec 31 to Jan 5ish.
Looking for USA or Canada in the Rockies more or less. Departing out
of Houston, TX. They are not Texans btw...just flying out of there.

Criteria that are important to me:

There must be snow (duh)
QUALITY lodging that isn't outrageous
Reasonably accessible from airport
ski lifts at least accessible by shuttle but ski in/out preferred
As small crowds as possible
Excellent ski/snowboard school for the kids(1 kid actually)
Also the place must have some good terrain/acreage

Obviously all those criteria are desired by everyone, but I really
don't know what is best. Since it is the busiest time of the season
I'd like to know where we can be guaranteed snow and short lines(a
tough combo I know).

So I am thinking to avoid the Summit county places in Colorado.
Steamboat is a great place but not sure about snow or crowds at this
point though they just got some decent snow.

Places in Canada? Whistler just seems like it will be super crowded.
Banff Lake Louise? The low dollar will make Canada pricey?

I also checked out Big Sky in Montana. Lots of snow and isolated.
Seems really expensive for a place in the middle of nowhere. Sun
Valley? Expensive there too, I guess the movie stars like it that
way. Price isn't such a big deal though.

Utah? Probably crowded, no? Tahoe?

Frankly I think money can be spent to avoid the crowds and get good
snow, so cost is least important.

The week after Christmas is actually one of the least crowded weeks of
the year. They'll be fighting crowds (and paying $$$$$ for
accomodations) on Dec 31 and (maybe) Jan 1, but the 2-5 Jan dates should
be clear just about everywhere.

The above makes no sense. Dec. 26 is tradionally the biggest check in
day of the season. If you can end your trip on xmas or before that is
a great week.

My $.02, since crowd avoidance and reasonably priced accomodations are
the big criteria, would be to delay the trip by two days and plan on
skiing Jan 2-6. Crowds and prices drop like a stone on the 2nd. At that
point, it's just a matter of following the snow.

This part makes a little more sense. That first week of the year is
usually pretty slow. But I only lived in ski areas for over 20 years
so what do I know.
Old December 4th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

pigo wrote:
On Dec 3, 9:45 am, Walt wrote:

The week after Christmas is actually one of the least crowded weeks of
the year.

The above makes no sense. Dec. 26 is tradionally the biggest check in
day of the season.

You're right. Of course the week after Xmas (Dec 26-Jan 1) is the
busiest of the year. I meant to say the week after Christmas week
(i.e. ~Jan 2 - Jan 9) is one of the least crowded.

I need an editor.

//Walt

The best XC place ever [email protected] Nordic Skiing 9 January 17th 06 06:51 PM
...and another first place! MattB Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 January 6th 05 08:52 PM
Another first place for us Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 January 6th 05 07:51 PM
nice place to ski ewoud General 0 April 3rd 04 08:53 AM
best place for skiing in U.S.A woo-ram song General 3 January 22nd 04 09:39 PM