Where to go in Italy?

Old May 24th 05, 02:10 AM
emma

Default Where to go in Italy?

My partner and I are going to the Olympics in Feb 2006 to watch my
sister and want to spend a week either before or after snowboarding
somewhere else. We are both good snowboarders and enjoy going
off-piste and tackling the harder runs as well as playing in the park.
We are looking for somewhere that is value for money and hopefully not
too busy.

My family is going to Val Gardena, so that may be a starting point, but
I have heard it may not be too good for snowboarders, and the place
they are staying in is too expensive for us anyway! Please can you let
me know of some places we could try, and maybe the reputations of the
bigger places? We are from New Zealand and have never travelled to
Europe, so don't really now much about the location at all.

As an aside... if anyone wants information on snowboarding / skiing in
New Zealand let me know - it is fantastic!

Thanks for you help!
Emma

Old May 24th 05, 02:15 AM
emma

Oh, and does anyone know whether school holidays are on at this time
(10-18 Feb) and whether this will play a factor in where we should go?
Thanks!

Old May 24th 05, 05:52 AM
Clive Perry

"emma" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, and does anyone know whether school holidays are on at this time
(10-18 Feb) and whether this will play a factor in where we should go?
Thanks!

Emma,

Sounds about the prime UK school half term school holiday time.

The most challenging area near Val Gardena is Arabba, which is on the Sella
Ronda as is Selva, which is where I guess your family will be at or near.

The whole area is not known for it's challenging terrain but is very well
known for the fantastic scenery of the Dolomites.

Clive

Old May 24th 05, 07:20 AM
cupra

emma wrote:
My partner and I are going to the Olympics in Feb 2006 to watch my
sister and want to spend a week either before or after snowboarding
somewhere else. We are both good snowboarders and enjoy going
off-piste and tackling the harder runs as well as playing in the park.
We are looking for somewhere that is value for money and hopefully not
too busy.

My family is going to Val Gardena, so that may be a starting point,
but I have heard it may not be too good for snowboarders, and the
place they are staying in is too expensive for us anyway! Please can
you let me know of some places we could try, and maybe the
reputations of the bigger places? We are from New Zealand and have
never travelled to Europe, so don't really now much about the
location at all.

snip

I spent a week in Val Gardena last winter, and although the runs aren't
particularly long we (boarders) still managed to find some challanging
slopes (although there wasn't enough snow off piste though).

Old May 24th 05, 01:42 PM
AH

"emma" wrote in message
ups.com...
We are from New Zealand and have never travelled to
Europe, so don't really now much about the location at all.
As an aside... if anyone wants information on snowboarding / skiing in
New Zealand let me know - it is fantastic!

Haha.. lets see if you still think that after skiing outside of New Zealand!

Old May 24th 05, 01:51 PM
ash

" cupra" wrote in message
emma wrote:
[...]

I think you would get pretty bored(no pun intended!) with the whole Val
Gardena/ Dolomite area, beautiful as it is. I wouldn't even attempt to do
the Sella Ronda on a board.
Bardonecchia has an off-piste reputation and a lot of the Olympics I think
are being held at Cervinia from where you can ski over the top to Zermatt in
Swirzerland very easily which has a big, challenging area.

Old May 24th 05, 01:55 PM
cupra

ash wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
emma wrote:
[...]

Agreed - we didn't even attempt the Sella Ronda. Although not challanging,
there was enough to keep us amused for a week while looking after the
learners in our group!

Old May 24th 05, 03:03 PM
ash

" cupra" wrote in message
ash wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
emma wrote:
[...]

I'm not a boarder but I did the Sella Ronda on skis a few years ago and
there was a lot more sitting on lifts than skiing, and quite a lot of poling
along flat bits.

Old May 24th 05, 03:23 PM
Florian Anwander

Hi emma

My partner and I are going to the Olympics in Feb 2006 to watch my
sister and want to spend a week either before or after snowboarding
somewhere else. [...]
My family is going to Val Gardena, so that may be a starting point, but
I have heard it may not be too good for snowboarders, and the place
they are staying in is too expensive for us anyway!

You have to keep in mind, that it takes at least four hours by car (with
good driving conditions!) to come from Torino to the Sella/Val Gardena -
maybe longer.
I suggest that you go to somewhere in the Val d'Aosta region.

Florian
Old May 24th 05, 10:06 PM
Johannes

On 23 May 2005 19:10:36 -0700, "emma" wrote:

My partner and I are going to the Olympics in Feb 2006 to watch my
sister and want to spend a week either before or after snowboarding
somewhere else. We are both good snowboarders and enjoy going
off-piste and tackling the harder runs as well as playing in the park.
We are looking for somewhere that is value for money and hopefully not
too busy.

Alagna is a know freeride spot at italy

As an aside... if anyone wants information on snowboarding / skiing in
New Zealand let me know - it is fantastic!

I hear something else.

Johannes