Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain

Old March 1st 04, 06:37 PM
Frank L Lynn

Default Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain

I have a Sony DCR-PC9 miniDV camcorder that I use for video while
snowboarding. Here is my problem, the LCD barely works while on the
hill, I can only see slight shadows like images in the LCD or the view
finder. I am thinking its related to the cold. How can I get around
this? Makes taking video a wee bit difficult. I still get some
shots, but its not easy. I keep it in a case, in my jacket until I am
ready to shoot, but its still does not solve the problem. Also,
pretty much as soon as I take out my camera, it starts flashing that
my battery is dead.

The battery problem also happens with my canon digital elph still
camera, but I think that might be due to the body being metal, and it
gets ice cold instantly.

Anybody have these problems? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
-flynn
Old March 2nd 04, 02:53 PM
Baretta

Just wondering - anyone tape one of those hand warmer packs to their camera
to keep it warm when shooting? I suppose you could duct tape it to the
battery side and activate it when ready to shoot. I think some are supposed
to be good for an hour or so. I cant remember what the warmer packs were
called but I havent used them for years since I bought some great gloves.

Also, what are you guys using to water/snow proof your cameras? Any kind of
hard or soft case? I'd like to take mine out but just worried about getting
snowed by a subject or dropping it if I fall while shooting.

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...
(Frank L Lynn) wrote in message

om...
[...]

Try insulating the camera/camcorder with some foam and masking tape,
keep it in a plastic bag inside your coat until you use it to avoid
the batteries from getting too cold. I've done the latter with a few
digital cameras in -20 degree weather it works decently well.

Old March 2nd 04, 06:38 PM
Arvin Chang

"Baretta" wrote in message le.rogers.com...
Just wondering - anyone tape one of those hand warmer packs to their camera
to keep it warm when shooting? I suppose you could duct tape it to the
battery side and activate it when ready to shoot. I think some are supposed
to be good for an hour or so. I cant remember what the warmer packs were
called but I havent used them for years since I bought some great gloves.

Also, what are you guys using to water/snow proof your cameras? Any kind of
hard or soft case? I'd like to take mine out but just worried about getting
snowed by a subject or dropping it if I fall while shooting.

Well my old miniDV camcorder actually got pretty warm when running, so
I didn't need it, however I don't see how it could hurt to tape on a
hand warmer pack since it doesn't go over 104F.

I usually keep my camera in a plastic ziplock bag while not being
used, but once I take it out, I trust in my sense of balance not to
fall down. Most digital camera can takea little bit of moisture
hitting them, just doesn't dunk it in water. You can even always keep
the camera in the bag and just have the len poke through. I know there
is a brand of "platypus" camera bag that is essentially a large
waterproof bag was a place to attach the lens from the inside, if you
ask any outdoor photographer shop I think they will know what is
actually called.

--Arvin
Old March 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
phil

Also, what are you guys using to water/snow proof your cameras? Any kind of
hard or soft case? I'd like to take mine out but just worried about getting
snowed by a subject or dropping it if I fall while shooting.

I cheat, in that my camera is pretty waterproof to start off with. On
the other hand I've used a bunch of cameras in very bad conditions
without any real trouble. My views...

A hard case isn't the best thing as you don't need sharp-edge impact
protection, just padding. Use a soft case, or stick the camera in a
back-pack wrapped with a fleece or something. I use Lowe-Pro
chest-mount bags as you can carry a large camera that way without
trouble and you can still get at it quickly. Backpacks are ok but they
slow you down. Here's a shot of the chest bag in action:
http://www.wigglesworld.klebos.com/s...3-0387_IMG.jpg

If you're shooting in powder or bad conditions then you're going to
get snow on your camera. Accept it and don't worry about it... in fact
encourage your subjects to spray you with the stuff for the best
effect. If you're in dry snow then it doesn't stick; wet stuff does,
so take a towel or something to wipe it off with.

When you get home you will get lots of condensation on your camera as
it warms up. Some people stick the thing in a zip-lock bag at this
point so the condensation hits the bag not the camera. I just wrap
mine in a towel as it warms up and keep drying it and the lenses.

I've never dropped my camera when shooting, although it probably has a
better chance of survival if you drop it on snow than on concrete ;-)
Use some sort of strap.
Old March 12th 04, 04:57 PM
Joh Davies

Well my old miniDV camcorder actually got pretty warm when running, so
I didn't need it, however I don't see how it could hurt to tape on a
hand warmer pack since it doesn't go over 104F.

Depends on the type of handwarmer really...
There are three types,
smoldering heat IE charcoal sticks or lighter fuel these reach about
100f
Chemical One-shot these reach about 110f
And chemical re-usuable which reach around 140f

I saw some of the chemical reusable ones here
www.astrobits.com and I thought they would be ideal for my telescope
and or camera but at 54c (140f) they are bit too hot for my uses
Old March 15th 04, 12:29 PM
Switters

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:37:25 GMT, (Frank L Lynn)
allegedly wrote:

I have a Sony DCR-PC9 miniDV camcorder that I use for video while
snowboarding. Here is my problem, the LCD barely works while on the
hill, I can only see slight shadows like images in the LCD or the view
finder. I am thinking its related to the cold. How can I get around
this?

It's nothing to do with the cold, it's just that the LCD doesn't have a
high degree of visibility especially with the amount of UV being thrown
around the mountain.

Use the viewfinder instead.

Makes taking video a wee bit difficult. I still get some
shots, but its not easy.

I never use the LCD on mine, I simply use the view finder... this also
isn't that bright, but if you let your eyes adjust from the bright
outside to the viewfinder, everything will become clear.

You can even do it with goggles on.

I keep it in a case, in my jacket until I am
ready to shoot, but its still does not solve the problem. Also,
pretty much as soon as I take out my camera, it starts flashing that
my battery is dead.

My fully charged battery will last a little while even in very cold
conditions. Try and keep one hand over the battery when filming, to
give it a bit of warmth.

Anybody have these problems? Is there anything I can do?

Learn not to use the LCD It's the only way until you change
camcorders.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail