best digital camera for skiing?

Old January 11th 04, 10:22 PM
James Bassuk

Default best digital camera for skiing?

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

Old January 11th 04, 10:55 PM
FHemmer209

A guy who goes by Astro posts here and he takes great pictures. I would listen
to what he says.

Fred

Old January 12th 04, 12:33 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:22:54 CST, James Bassuk
wrote:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

James,

You're definitely limiting yourself by requiring that the camera fit
in the pocket of your ski jacket, unless you have really BIG pockets.

Therefore, you can pretty much rule out a full-size digital SLR. That
alone should save you a few bucks....however, don't expect anything
close to pro quality (powder mag) pics with a pocket-sized point and
shoot. With a pocket-sized point and shoot, you'll have to accept
just plain old "good pics" with the occasional you-got-lucky "great
pic" thrown in from time to time.

In the world of digital cameras, you get what you pay for, generally
speaking. The more you pay, the bigger the cameras and lenses
become...resulting in a higher potential for "great pics". That's
just a fact of photography life.

Notice, above, that I used the word "potential". That's because some
people just can't take a decent photo, even with $10,000 of high-end
hardware hanging from their neck. In the world of alpine skiing
photography, we call this type of equipment possessed photographer a
"Texan". They are usually at the Rich Amateur (Level 2), or the
Equipment Measurbator (Bottom Level 1) of the 7 levels of
photographers:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

Ooops, sorry to get off track there.

Anyway, you didn't mention it, but for skiing, you definitely want a
camera that can shoot 2 to 3 frames per second (fps), or better, in
the continuous mode. Otherwise, you'll end up missing out on the good
ski action sequence shots.

Anyway, if you are looking for a full-size digital SLR, I can
definitely point you in the right direction.

However, there are a zillion digital point and shoot pocket cameras
out there, therefore, as a starting point, I suggest that you dig
around he

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old January 12th 04, 02:02 AM
Jiyang Chen

BTW, how do you store your camera while you're skiing?

Thx

Old January 12th 04, 02:06 AM
James Bassuk

wrote:

[...]

Good points Astro. Let me being by complimenting you on your *great* web
page -- your pics are awesome!

But for me, I do want my camera to fit into a pocket, have a focusable
diopter, a good-sized LCD, the ability to withstand cold temps,
rechargeable batteries that don't suck, and a USB connection.

By inspecting the specs of several cameras, most state that the minimal
operating temp = 32 F, which, of course, won't cut it for skiing.

I've tired of lugging around my camrecorder in a backpack, and really need
something light to fit into a pocket. Hopefully, about the weight of a
motorola talkabout.

Again, great web page and thanks for your input.

How about the other skiers out there? Any comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Old January 12th 04, 03:55 AM
leo

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

Go small!.. if it is big you won't take it with you and then you will have
no pictures at all. Max pixels as your budget allows. I actually take a
tiny Leica 35mm most of the time because when I ski I have to make myself
and friends stop for pixs and a roll of 24 or 36 is more stops than anyone
wants to pose for. Have fun and save some memories!

leo

leo

Old January 12th 04, 04:23 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:06:57 -0800, James Bassuk
wrote:

//snip//

By inspecting the specs of several cameras, most state that the minimal
operating temp = 32 F, which, of course, won't cut it for skiing.

Actually, in reality, they can and do cut it.

Those environmental specifications are very conservative, and are what
they base the rated camera performance on.

The further that you move the camera away from the parameters of the
"Operating Environment", the further you will move away from the rated
specifications of the camera, and closer to having problems with that
camera.

For example, the specifications for my Nikon D100 state that the
Operating Environment - Temperature is 32 deg F to 104 deg F. The
specs for a Nikon D2h are the same, as they are for my Olympus
C-3030Z.

I can tell you that I've never had a problem with a 32 deg F rated
digital SLR, digital point and shoot, or a 35mm SLR in sub zero temps,
even when it was -20 F.

The biggest problem is a cold battery. So keep a warm spare (or two)
in an inside pocket.

Obviously, you certainly don't want to leave any camera in your car,
or out on the porch during an extremely cold night, or during an
extremely hot day.

However, if you plan on taking pics while you ski across the
Antarctic, well, then that might be a different matter altogether.

-Astro

---

Old January 12th 04, 04:35 AM
AstroPax

On 11 Jan 2004 21:02:30 EST, "Jiyang Chen" wrote:

BTW, how do you store your camera while you're skiing?

Stuff it in the daypack.

I don't really have any other carry options due to the size. There is
almost always either a 200mm or 400mm lens attached to the thing.

My 400mm lens:

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...ar/200-400.jpg

Haven't had any damage problems, yet.

-Astro

---

Old January 12th 04, 04:59 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

AstroPax
Those environmental specifications are very conservative, and are what
they base the rated camera performance on.

... I can tell you that I've never had a problem with a 32 deg F rated
digital SLR, digital point and shoot, or a 35mm SLR in sub zero temps,
even when it was -20 F.

I just used my D100 on a trip where it was cold-soaked to well below 0 F
for hours on several days. I had no problems using the camera all day and
the battery always indicated fully charged. Some with small cameras
complained that they worked for only a few minutes before the battery went
dead.

Oh, I went
heli-skiing:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...s/thursday.jpg

Take that, Astro!

(More pics to come) 8J

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

For Auction: Thermal Imaging Camera - One Day Left sell2all Nordic Skiing 0 April 29th 04 05:44 PM
Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 6 March 15th 04 12:29 PM
using digital camera on the mountain Dmitry Snowboarding 14 March 4th 04 04:07 AM
The Daily Camera wamu Snowboarding 4 October 31st 03 08:52 PM
The Daily Camera wamu Nordic Skiing 0 October 31st 03 03:02 PM