Teichman A Really Slow Starter.

Old March 20th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

Default Teichman A Really Slow Starter.

I was checking out the results from Falun on the FIS site. In the
3.3km prologe Teichman was down just under 20 seconds at the 1.2km
mark to Markus Hellner. At this point he was way down the rankings. I
find it amazing this guy can decide to put the hammer down, close the
gap and win a 3.3km prologe after such a slow start. That shows a lot
of confidence.
Old March 21st 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

ADK Skier wrote:
I was checking out the results from Falun on the FIS site. In the
3.3km prologe Teichman was down just under 20 seconds at the 1.2km
mark to Markus Hellner. At this point he was way down the rankings. I
find it amazing this guy can decide to put the hammer down, close the
gap and win a 3.3km prologe after such a slow start. That shows a lot
of confidence.

Today he was back on vacation, but Dario Cologna effectively clinched
the World Cup trophy:

He won the race, and also got the most bonus seconds, while Petter N was
just a shadow of his earlier form, dropping 36 points and about a minute
in total time to Dario.

This means that Dario is almost certain to win the final race tomorrow,
and even if Petter could pull a real miracle, passing 8-10 guys, hw
would still need Dario to fall way back in the standings.

There's absolutely no chance of that happening, not with the form Dario
has shown on the last two races!

Terje
PS. On the biathlon front, OEB came from behind on the last shoot and
passed the two guys in front of him. World Cup win nr 88 or so. :-)
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old March 21st 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

I was watching the Womens 5x5 pursuit today on Universal Sports. In
the classic leg every one was slipping really badly on the hills. I
would think that glide varied a lot in the skating leg becasue of the
wet snow. Terje do you know if this was the case. For example Majdic
was way back in the skate. Kuitinen was even further back!
Old March 22nd 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

ADK Skier wrote:

I was watching the Womens 5x5 pursuit today on Universal Sports. In
the classic leg every one was slipping really badly on the hills. I
would think that glide varied a lot in the skating leg becasue of the
wet snow. Terje do you know if this was the case. For example Majdic
was way back in the skate. Kuitinen was even further back!

I think you mean Saarinen. Kuitunen didn't start. I wonder if she's
having back problems or lingering effects of sickness (same for
Saarinen). Roponen passed everyone and ran away on the downhills in the
skate leg.

Gene
Old March 22nd 09, 10:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

On Mar 22, 1:00*am, wrote:
ADK Skier wrote:
I was watching the Womens 5x5 pursuit today on Universal Sports. In
the classic leg every one was slipping really badly on the hills. I
would think that glide varied a lot in the skating leg becasue of the
wet snow. Terje do you know if this was the case. For example Majdic
was way back in the skate. Kuitinen was even further back!

I think you mean Saarinen. *Kuitunen didn't start. I wonder if she's
having back problems or lingering effects of sickness (same for
Saarinen). *Roponen passed everyone and ran away on the downhills in the
skate leg.

Gene

Yes you're right I was thinking how poorly Virpi did in the Prologue.
Old March 22nd 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

ADK Skier wrote:
I was watching the Womens 5x5 pursuit today on Universal Sports. In
the classic leg every one was slipping really badly on the hills. I

This is getting quite common in difficult waxing conditions: Modern
skiers (and skiing in general) have turned most courses into double-pole
fests, so having very good glide is paramount. Running up a few extra
hills in a hlaf h-bone doesn't hurt these guys and girls nearly as badly
as it would us mere mortals.

would think that glide varied a lot in the skating leg becasue of the
wet snow. Terje do you know if this was the case. For example Majdic
was way back in the skate. Kuitinen was even further back!

For those two I think it was more of a "late in season, not quite in top
form", but I might be wrong.

Watching the Duracell Bunny today was very fun, I'm immensely impressed
by Therese Johaug.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old March 22nd 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Yes, Johaug is a modern day Maurilio DeZolt. DeZolt had an insane
turnover in both techniques.
Old March 22nd 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It will be truly amazing and admirable if Johaug can keep it up in the
years ahead with these kinds of results. One thing she has to contend
with is the size issue. In Saturday's 5 +5, did you notice how
Kowalczyk used her large frame to cut off Johaug near the end?

As I recall, the New Skate notion was an indirect result of that
DeZolt/Italian kind of more rapid turnover. According to what was
published in the U.S. at the time in The Master Skier, the
Norwegians looked at the Italian style of skating to improve their
results ("research"), which then eventually led to Vordenberg's claim
that this style was the new thing internationally, and that we should
all be doing it.

Gene

Old March 23rd 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lustig

On Mar 20, 10:18*pm, ADK Skier wrote:

I was checking out the results from Falun on the FIS site. In the
3.3km prologe Teichman was down just under 20 seconds at the 1.2km
mark to Markus Hellner. At this point he was way down the rankings. I
find it amazing this guy can decide to put the hammer down, close the
gap and win a 3.3km prologe after such a slow start. That shows a lot
of confidence.

OTOH it seems to be in his genes, so to speak, and he has no choice.
(I'm for instance fairly sure he would've liked to go out faster on
the anchor leg in Liberec...)

BTW another curious phenomenon can be found by comparing the result
lists of the "Tour de Ski" and the "World Cup Finale" prologs: the
Germans seem to have perfected the art of training for that particular
distance - but at the cost of practically everything else, considering
their results in other events.

Anders

PS is there any truth to the rumour that there is strong pressure to
turn the sprints into prologs; that is, to increase the distance to
~3km?

Old March 24th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lustig

On Mar 22, 7:00*am, wrote:

I think you mean Saarinen. *Kuitunen didn't start. I wonder if she's
having back problems or lingering effects of sickness (same for
Saarinen). *Roponen passed everyone and ran away on the downhills in the
skate leg.

Roponen did indeed have a pair of "once every two or three seasons"
skis, but she is also one of the best, if not the best, "poleless"
skater since Belmondo.

Kuitunen dropped out after - or maybe during, to be more precise - the
uphill prolog due to acute back problems, but both she and Saarinen
also had a rather bad case of "post-championship and end of season
blues".

Anders

Silly Season Starter - Bike Tuning Jay Pique Alpine Skiing 17 April 12th 06 11:01 PM
Starter Jackets and Jeans [email protected] Alpine Skiing 29 March 5th 06 06:39 AM
Slow Day or what Richard Lumsden Snowboarding 1 May 15th 05 05:20 PM
starter Matthew Paterson Snowboarding 6 October 25th 04 08:54 AM
Just quick, Now you know why I want to slow down Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 3 August 23rd 03 11:40 AM