Natasha Richardson

Old March 22nd 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sue

Default Natasha Richardson

In message
,
pigo writes

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

You've misunderstood - you need the helmet when you have your head near
the open tailgate, not when you're driving the car.

Putting stuff in and out of cars is far more likely to cause a serious
head injury than non-extreme skiing (Lal's in a different class) but
it's a mundane risk so nobody thinks about it.

And it doesn't happen to millionaire celebrities because their stuff
gets shifted for them.

I agree the lady's accident sounds really dodgy.
I was a beginner barely older than her. You can't hit your head, you
just land on the outsides of your thighs, over and over again. Your
skis don't come off because you're barely moving. Other beginners do
ski into you but they're barely moving either so nobody goes flying.
Beginner skiers get knee injuries, not head injuries.

--
Sue ]
Old March 22nd 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:10:25 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Yeh. I'll correct you you're wrong. The church is the foundation of
our civilization.

Yours, maybe, but the rest of us are happy to worship Ullr and Skaadi.

And you probably worship dogs who lick themselves. And that dumbass
behind me at the stoplight, who is honking his horn, like he is so
important, and in such a hurry, while I have an important call on my
cell phone.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 22nd 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:

Yeh. I'll correct you you're wrong. The church is the foundation of
our civilization.

Wrong again, curley fries breath.

BEER is the foundation of civilization. Having a ready supply of
beer-making ingredients is what transformed us from hunter-gatherers
into agrarian horticultrualists. Think neolithic revolution. All
brought about by BEER.

Now, if there was a church of beer, and they met at a time more
appropriate that Sunday ****ing morning I might go.

//Walt
Old March 23rd 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:

Yeh. I'll correct you you're wrong. The church is the foundation of
our civilization.

Wrong again, curley fries breath.

BEER is the foundation of civilization. Having a ready supply of
beer-making ingredients is what transformed us from hunter-gatherers
into agrarian horticultrualists. Think neolithic revolution. All
brought about by BEER.

Now, if there was a church of beer, and they met at a time more
appropriate that Sunday ****ing morning I might go.

There has been a discussion on another NG
I frequent. And what Walt says is twue, It's
TWUE I say. The only thing I'd add is to say
that beer allowed humans to get hydrated
in cities where the water was not potable.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"A mighty Hungarian warrior" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:39:38 -0700 (PDT), Evojeesus
wrote this crap:

On Mar 19, 8:44 pm, bdubya wrote:

A helmet can protect against g-forces, by deforming and
absorbing part of the impact, but somehow I doubt that on a green run
during a lesson, she hit hard enough to deform a helmet , so I doubt a
helmet would have helped.

At least the helmet is padded. If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

You're probably one of those girly-boys who figure skates. I wear a
helmet while skating because there's a puck flying around at about 150
mph, and somebody's coming at you with a big wooden stick.

I'm living the dream, living the dream.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me

You must play in some kinda hockey league dumbass, becuse the world record
speed for a slapshot is only 105 mph

Old March 23rd 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:43:59 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:

Yeh. I'll correct you you're wrong. The church is the foundation of
our civilization.

Wrong again, curley fries breath.

BEER is the foundation of civilization. Having a ready supply of
beer-making ingredients is what transformed us from hunter-gatherers
into agrarian horticultrualists. Think neolithic revolution. All
brought about by BEER.

Now, if there was a church of beer, and they met at a time more
appropriate that Sunday ****ing morning I might go.

For once you make sense, Walt.

Do you realize that, "Walt," rhymes with, "Malt?"

You have beer in your name.

Old March 23rd 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:15:12 -0600, "Stuart" wrote this
crap:

You're probably one of those girly-boys who figure skates. I wear a
helmet while skating because there's a puck flying around at about 150
mph, and somebody's coming at you with a big wooden stick.

I'm living the dream, living the dream.

You must play in some kinda hockey league dumbass, becuse the world record
speed for a slapshot is only 105 mph

I'll give you a slapshot, right in the crotch, dumbass. Then my
minions will hunt you down, and find your village. You are doomed.
DOOMED, I say. And your lands will be forever cursed.

Old March 23rd 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
A mighty Hungarian wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:11:26 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

I have three main reasons for wearing a helmet

Here they a

1. Wuss
2. Wuss
3.Wuss

I live a life of action, adventure, and danger. Next you'll tell me
to wear a helmet while yacht racing.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

If you'd seen the gash my skipper got while racing Solings in Seattle,
you might think it was a good idea for yacht racing.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 23rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

pigo wrote:

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

Helmet use is a funny thing. Around here beginners seldom wear helmets
(except the tourists ALWAYS put their young kids in a helmet, and
helmets are required for Snow School - age 3-6.) Many local experts do
wear helmets, and we have a fair share of good skiers, so maybe 30-50%
of people on the mountain end up wearing helmets regularly, and growing.
But the Pro Patrol and other professional mountain workers generally
don't wear helmets - go figure.

More and more of the pro patrol and ski instructors at Cypress are
starting to wear helmets...

....and I think that next season, I'll be one of them.

IMO helmets help in penetration type impacts, and when an impact is
strong enough that the helmet's inner hard foam crushes obsorbing KE
that otherwise would rattle the brain. Obviously these situations are
more common when trees, rocks, cliffs, and chutes predominate, so usage
mountain to mountain would be expected to vary even if everyone was
equally aware of helmet usage.

One of our instructors hit a tree while skiing the edge of a groomed
trail, and it absolutely *destroyed* his helmet; inner foam completely
shattered and shell nearly broken in two...

....but he got up and skied away.

I've had two crashes where I only lived because luck caused something
other than my skull to impact first, both crashes involving cliffs and
rocks. I wear a helmet now - I'm not tempting that third time knock wood.

Sounds good to me.

Old March 23rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
Sue wrote:

In message
,
[...]

I'm going to assume this is all in jest.