Natasha Richardson

Old March 20th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

Default Natasha Richardson

"A mighty Hungarian warrior" wrote in message

If you **** me off, my
armies will destroy you, and your family will be sold into slavery.

You will be doomed, DOOMED, I say, and your lands will be forever
cursed.

OR vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

That should accomplish pretty much the same result.

Old March 20th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"pigo" wrote in message news:b104f043-5704-4b6e-

If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

Right. That's why nudists don't tend to play hockey. Especially goalie.

//Walt

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

===================

If I only skied open slpoes with soft surfaces I might agree. But I don't
and I'm not unique in this. I don't particularily care for hard snow but i
do find myself on it from time to time. I don't land on my head often, but I
can't count how many times I've grazed my helmet on branches. Or even the
lift for that matter. **** like that hardly ever happens in my car.

Old March 20th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Mar 20, 4:12*pm, "Norm" wrote:
"pigo" wrote in message news:b104f043-5704-4b6e-

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

===================

If I only skied open slpoes with soft surfaces I might agree. But I don't
and I'm not unique in this.

Yes, and there are other people on the slopes that might hit you and
who you might hit. Also, there can be trees outside the slope and if
one is doing high-speed GS carving wiping out at the wrong place will
launch one into the trees (shudder).

Old March 20th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"comadrejo" wrote in message news:comadrejoagua-

If you **** me off, my
armies will destroy you, and your family will be sold into slavery.

You will be doomed, DOOMED, I say, and your lands will be forever
cursed.

OR vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

That should accomplish pretty much the same result.

The mantra right now for most American Conservatives, is that Bush
failed in his Presidency because he wasn't conservative enough. If Bush
stuck closer to Ayn Rand than to John Maynard Keynes, then liar loans,
credit derivative swaps and $12 billion a month for US forces in Iraq
would continue on gleefully and indefinitely. The Bernie Madoff scandal
happened because he was a Democrat, not because the SEC was understaffed
and underfunded.

I think a Palin/Beck ticket would be a big crowd pleaser.

Proof that conservatives are completely innumerate. When 10% of the people
are better off and 90% are worse off one might expect that 90% of people
would oppose the policies which led to that result. But even with proof
staring them in the face just short of 50% of Americans asked for more of
the same. The mind boggles...

Old March 20th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 20, 10:53*am, pigo wrote:
On Mar 20, 7:15*am, Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:

*If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

Right. That's why nudists don't tend to play hockey. *Especially goalie.

//Walt

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

If you wore a helmet with an audible proximity alarm to ward off would-
be colliders, a ring of side airbags to protect the face, neck and
shoulders, and a large blinking neon sign with the words, "My Life Is
More Important Than Yours," maybe it would be "self-aggrandizing."
Otherwise, no.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 20th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

comadrejo wrote:
The Bernie Madoff scandal
happened because he was a Democrat,

I like the way you think! When you ski do you know which way is up?
Old March 20th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:

To wear a helmet skiing would be like wearing one when you drive your
car. For most people overkill and an example of self-aggrandizement.

Helmet use is a funny thing. Around here beginners seldom wear helmets
(except the tourists ALWAYS put their young kids in a helmet, and
helmets are required for Snow School - age 3-6.) Many local experts do
wear helmets, and we have a fair share of good skiers, so maybe 30-50%
of people on the mountain end up wearing helmets regularly, and growing.
But the Pro Patrol and other professional mountain workers generally
don't wear helmets - go figure.

IMO helmets help in penetration type impacts, and when an impact is
strong enough that the helmet's inner hard foam crushes obsorbing KE
that otherwise would rattle the brain. Obviously these situations are
more common when trees, rocks, cliffs, and chutes predominate, so usage
mountain to mountain would be expected to vary even if everyone was
equally aware of helmet usage.

I've had two crashes where I only lived because luck caused something
other than my skull to impact first, both crashes involving cliffs and
rocks. I wear a helmet now - I'm not tempting that third time knock wood.
Old March 20th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Evojeesus wrote:

Yes, and there are other people on the slopes that might hit you and
who you might hit. Also, there can be trees outside the slope and if
one is doing high-speed GS carving wiping out at the wrong place will
launch one into the trees (shudder).

Local mountain has had several deaths from these kind of accidents in
the recent pass; I can only think of one recently involving cliffs and
rocks. Statistically human to human and human to tree are the common
major injury events, as you state.

People who step in front of a car travelling at 35 mph expect to get
badly injured and likely die. Those same people (well, their heirs) are
surprised when they die from hitting something at the same speed when
skiing - after all, it's just a "sport."
Old March 20th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Evojeesus wrote:

A mighty Hungarian wrote:

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

You already elected a conservative retard for two consecutive terms
and see where that got you, hah hah! History taught you morons
nothing?-)

Why is the only choice between a religious nut and a jerk who wants to spend
all our money on stuff we don't want?

--
Cheers, Bev
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.