Lapland Lake, New York

Old September 19th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Default Lapland Lake, New York

I was checking this place out online. The prices seem reasonable and
the accommodations look great. Has anyone ever been there? Would you
recommend it?

Old September 19th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Sep 19, 10:55 am, SkiFit wrote:
I was checking this place out online. The prices seem reasonable and
the accommodations look great. Has anyone ever been there? Would you
recommend it?

It depends on what you like.

Lapland is a nice place, I've skiied there many times and enjoyed it.
It is off the beaten path and if you are looking for apres ski
activities, there ain't much around! Complaints I've heard are that
the trails are narrow, the owners do not seem too concerned w/ the
lycra skate crowd, early season snow cover is spotty and grooming is
less than perfect at those times. The biggest complaint is their
"very optimistic" report of conditions - many times what gets
advertised is not what folks find.

We've rented cabins there summer and winter had an absolute blast, but
we knew what to expect. Trails are well laid out and provide an
enjoyable, scenic and challenging day.

Regards,
- Bob

Old September 21st 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

On Sep 19, 9:54 pm, "Gary Jacobson" wrote:
May I suggest that you do a google search of this newsgroup for thoughts
about Lapland Lake? You'll then get a sense if it might meet your needs.
Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY"highpeaksnordic" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

- Bob- Hide quoted text -

When the conditions are good they have perhaps the best classic ski
terrain in New York State. Nice ups and downs without monsterous
climbs found at Van Hoevenberg in Lake Placid. I always found it to be
quaint and charming as a resort. It's definetly not overwhelming like
big resorts. There is also a dedicated group of folks who come back to
give lessons each year. I miss the Finn Sisu 25km spring classic race.
This was hands down everyones favorite race in the past usually
finishing on the lake. Bring it back Olavi!

Old September 22nd 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Why, I like LL - their twisty trails, the lake, the lit trails, and
the fire on Sat evenings. I've never stayed at their cabins though,
too expensive. I stay at motel ~30 min away.