Anybody out there?

Old July 19th 03, 09:30 PM
Richard Henry

Default Anybody out there?

Testing...

Just bought a new computer. Old computer, running W98, was showing its
age. Almost a minute to load each email or ng message. Now it's
instantaneous.

I stood at Fry's for a half hour doing my best to look like a man
without a computer. I brought 2 of the kids along so they could act up
and the clerks would be happy to be rid of us (sorry, Pigo). Finally
got some attention and worked my way out past all the other goodies.

If Home Depot is the $100 store (you don't get out for less than $100)
then Fry's is the $1000 store.

Old July 20th 03, 03:17 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

Testing...

Just bought a new computer. Old computer, running W98, was showing its
age. Almost a minute to load each email or ng message. Now it's
instantaneous.

Huh? We bought my mom a computer at Fry's running win98 (when it was
newish) and it doesn't take anywhere near a minute to download a message,
and she only has a 28.8 connection. Do you have really picky anti-virus
software?

I stood at Fry's for a half hour doing my best to look like a man
without a computer. I brought 2 of the kids along so they could act up
and the clerks would be happy to be rid of us (sorry, Pigo). Finally
got some attention and worked my way out past all the other goodies.

If Home Depot is the $100 store (you don't get out for less than $100)
then Fry's is the $1000 store.

You just have no sales resistance. I can't remember the last time we
spent that much all at one time on anything computer-related!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 20th 03, 03:53 AM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:

Testing...

Just bought a new computer. Old computer, running W98, was showing

its
age. Almost a minute to load each email or ng message. Now it's
instantaneous.

Huh? We bought my mom a computer at Fry's running win98 (when it was
newish) and it doesn't take anywhere near a minute to download a

message,
and she only has a 28.8 connection. Do you have really picky

anti-virus
software?

My wife and kids didn't realize it was MY computer. They kept loading
layers of game-access trash.

I stood at Fry's for a half hour doing my best to look like a man
without a computer. I brought 2 of the kids along so they could act

up
and the clerks would be happy to be rid of us (sorry, Pigo).

Finally
got some attention and worked my way out past all the other goodies.

If Home Depot is the $100 store (you don't get out for less than

$100)
then Fry's is the $1000 store.

You just have no sales resistance. I can't remember the last time we
spent that much all at one time on anything computer-related!

Well, it wasn't all computer-related. Just the computer and the sweet
17" flat-panel display (I spent several years making military aircraft
displays in the days when the best available was 8", at several
k-bucks.) However, Fry's is a kind of general store. So we ended up
with a pack of printer cartridges (cheaper than Wal-Mart), some school
supplies, a couple of bags of beef jerky, and some $10 game CDs.

Plus I have a couple of rebate coupons that will bring the total back
down under $1000, eventually.

Old July 20th 03, 05:06 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

Well, it wasn't all computer-related. Just the computer and the sweet
17" flat-panel display (I spent several years making military aircraft
displays in the days when the best available was 8",

Our first monitor was 9" b&w and I think it was under $100. Pitiful.

at several
k-bucks.) However, Fry's is a kind of general store. So we ended up
with a pack of printer cartridges (cheaper than Wal-Mart), some school
supplies, a couple of bags of beef jerky, and some $10 game CDs.

My son works a few blocks from Fry's. He doesn't get out of the store
without a Hot Wheels car or truck for the grandspawn.

Plus I have a couple of rebate coupons that will bring the total back
down under $1000, eventually.

I like rebates. I like the feeling that I'm getting a better bargain
because there are a lot of sloppy and stupid people out there who either
forget to send in the forms or never learned to follow instructions.

You did know that you can return used printer cartridges to Office Depot,
who will give you a ream of paper for each one, right? I just bought some
cartridges for a quarter each at a yard sale.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 20th 03, 05:26 AM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

You did know that you can return used printer cartridges to Office

Depot,
who will give you a ream of paper for each one, right? I just bought

some
cartridges for a quarter each at a yard sale.

We donate them to the elementary school down the street's computer
programs. They get the cash fromn the recyclers. They even provide
mailer envelopes.

Every room in the school is wired. They have several computers in every
classroom, plus a computer lab where the whole class can work at once.

We tried to donate an old Macintosh+. They didn't want it.

Old July 20th 03, 05:31 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

You did know that you can return used printer cartridges to Office Depot,
who will give you a ream of paper for each one, right? I just bought
some cartridges for a quarter each at a yard sale.

We donate them to the elementary school down the street's computer
programs. They get the cash fromn the recyclers. They even provide
mailer envelopes.

Every room in the school is wired. They have several computers in every
classroom, plus a computer lab where the whole class can work at once.

We tried to donate an old Macintosh+. They didn't want it.

Nobody wants obsolete computers, not even poverty-stricken students who
get them for free and who would otherwise have none. We filled the bed of
the pickup with old computer stuff for the periodic hi-tech collection --
I wonder how much, if any, of that stuff got re-used.

Old July 20th 03, 03:07 PM
Walt

Our first monitor was 9" b&w and I think it was under $100. Pitiful.

You had a monitor? Such luxury! I did all my early
programming on a DEC writer.

//- Walt

Old July 21st 03, 12:56 AM
lal_truckee

Terd Fartingmor wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:04:36 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote this crap:

Luckily, by the end of the semester the college had put in a room full
of crt/keyboard dumb monitors.

I could only dream of such luxury! I had to use puchcards

I have a Pascal compiler for an IBM360 on punch cards; supplied to me by
Nicklaus Wirth his-very-own-self, no less.

Old July 21st 03, 01:03 AM
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

"Walt" wrote in message

Our first monitor was 9" b&w and I think it was under $100.

Pitiful.

You had a monitor? Such luxury! I did all my early
programming on a DEC writer.

My first timesharing account was on a teletype.

Luckily, by the end of the semester the college had put in a room

full
of crt/keyboard dumb monitors.

I could only dream of such luxury! I had to use puchcards!

Do you know how hard it was playing "Star Trek" with punchcards?

I remember checkers on the teletype.

Old July 21st 03, 02:56 AM
Walt

Richard Henry wrote:

I remember checkers on the teletype.

Yeah, that was some speech. Pat's "sensible republican
coat". The gift from a lobbyist that he won't return 'cause
the kids just love that dog. Makes me cry just thinking
about it.

Those were simpler times when it took over a decade to
figure out that our leaders were lying to us. Things just
move too fast these days.

-Walt