What's on Bauer's skis?

Old February 25th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default What's on Bauer's skis?

Hi group,

Have you noticed Lucas Bauer superior glide in almost every WC races
this year (by the way many thanks to Oscar, Terge and all for posting
the WC races!!!)? Every time Lucas Bauer passes the finish line, his
skis are taken out by one of his coach and are replaced immediately by
other Fischer skis?
This the only skier (in both the male and female skiers) who is doing
this manoeuvre. Is it to preclude examining his skis' structure or
what? Any idea on this?

ro
Old February 25th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Feb 25, 10:09 am, wrote:
Hi group,

Have you noticed Lucas Bauer superior glide in almost every WC races
this year (by the way many thanks to Oscar, Terge and all for posting
the WC races!!!)? Every time Lucas Bauer passes the finish line, his
skis are taken out by one of his coach and are replaced immediately by
other Fischer skis?
This the only skier (in both the male and female skiers) who is doing
this manoeuvre. Is it to preclude examining his skis' structure or
what? Any idea on this?

ro

I think it's more due to the fact that he's the World Cup leader right
now. You often see the winners of big races get handed new skis and
poles when they finish, the better for photo ops.
Old February 25th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

There was a paper in the Science magazine ~3 years ago on a method to
introduce nanostructure onto polyethylene surfaces that achieve
insanely high contact angles (~150 AFAIR, versus ~110-120 one gets by
waxing). I would not be surprised if someone is following up on that.
Actually, I would be surprised if someone was not following up on
that. Just one of many possibilities.
Old February 27th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 26, 12:21 am, "
wrote:
There was a paper in the Science magazine ~3 years ago on a method to
introduce nanostructure onto polyethylene surfaces that achieve
insanely high contact angles (~150 AFAIR, versus ~110-120 one gets by
waxing). I would not be surprised if someone is following up on that.
Actually, I would be surprised if someone was not following up on
that. Just one of many possibilities.

I'm occasionnaly following the outcomes of the "lotus-effect"
http://www.lotus-effekt.de/en/index.php

Years ago I asked them if it was applicable to ski bases. A scientist
responded that the friction forces were high ou would require a ver
strong material. He redirected me to Nanowax-Cerax "waxs".
I'm using their products since then. I can say that I spend less time
waxing and more time skiing with a perfect glide.
(40 euros/bottle allowing waxing approx 20 pairs of skis. )
Old February 28th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 25, 5:09 pm, wrote:
Every time Lucas Bauer passes the finish line, his
skis are taken out by one of his coach and are replaced immediately by
other Fischer skis?
This the only skier (in both the male and female skiers) who is doing
this manoeuvre. Is it to preclude examining his skis' structure or
what? Any idea on this?

It has nothing to do with "protecting secret things" Even if you
see base of ski, and even if you take photos of it, it's pretty much
impossible to copy structure this way. Unless you put it under
magnifying glass, pretty much every structure looks quite same.
Changing skis and poles in finish line is just marketing. Lot of
skiers ski with few years old skis, but for winner photos, companies
want to have their latest model (in alpine skiing they normally have
"universal" models on medal ceremonies or handed to skiers in finish
area, not SL, GS, SG or DH models, since they sell more of "universal
skis" then specific discipline skis). Next to that, racing skis can be
waxed and therefore sticky, they are full of snow, full of marks etc,
while new pair they are given is put together perfectly, completely
clean, with additional markings on glue tape etc., so they look much
better on photos. Same goes with poles and that 10x5cm plastic
(perfect place for some bigger logo) holding them together. So it's
just money, nothing else.
And this thing is same for every winner... in xc skiing, biathlon or
alpine skiing. Photos go around the world, tv transmission goes to few
millions of people, so those few second with perfectly visible logo
are worth a lot more then someone might think.

Have fun,
Primoz
http://www.photo.si
Old February 28th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'm occasionnaly following the outcomes of the "lotus-effect"

Here is a link to the "superhydrophobic" surfaces. To my understanding
the logic is the same as the "lotus effect" - combine surface
chemistry and nano-structure.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../299/5611/1377